• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Do you have a favorite 7mm remington mag recipt. I don't find anything in nosler, Hornady, or speer books for IMR 4350, IMR4064, or H335 for vmax 154 gr or a 176 gr bullet, mfg unknown. I have no problem buying a different powder, or different gr bullets, if you have a recipt that you think is superior. I am already thinking about buying some IMR 4831, so if you have a good one, please spread the knowlage. ThanksTom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#2 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

THE LOAD which works on squirrels to Elk/Moose is a Nosler 140gr PAR bullet. The heavier bullets did not anchor deer(Ca deer) for us as well. The powders you listed are too fast for the 7mag for good speeds. 70grs RL19 gave 3280FPS and is a hot load with a SD of20 and ES 44fps. 63grs of Hybrid100 gave 3095FPS an ES of 31fps and SD14 a excellent load and not as hot. Other loads 72grs RL22 for 3250fps another hot load. 66grs IMR4350 for 3140FPSThese are out of my Ruger M77 at 15' over my Chrono.

#3 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Thanks Doug, I ended up loading a box of 154 Gr.v max (7mm mag) With 51 grains of IMR 4064 Tomorrow I am going to the Antioch gun show, and I will buy some IMR4831. It seems to be a more popular powder for the 7 mm mag. I am going to the range with my grandson next week, so we can burn them up any way.Tom

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

When I had a 7MM Remington Magnum I used IMR 4350 with 140 gr and 160 gr Sierra BT bullets. My Hornady book shows loads for IMR 4350 powder for the 162 gr bullets.The Hodgdon web-site shows data for 11 different bullets from 100 gr up to 175 gr in the 7MM Rem Mag with IMR 4350.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#5 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

I compleatley forgot to check the Hogden website.Thanks.Tom

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Tom, while the Hodgdon website is absolutely one of my most favorite reloading sources, it is GROSSLY underloaded when it comes to some of their 7mm Rem mag listings IMO = (a disclaimer btw).

Reason I say that is, many years ago I owned a couple of 7mm Rem mags & the Nosler book came the closest IMO.Also, I totally agree with DR on the 140 gr bullet in that caliber. Obviously, any will kill a deer, & my longest (one shot) deer kill (500+ yards) was with the 160 gr Nosler. However, the 140 smashes them like a freight train.

If you happen to have the March 1987 issue of Shooting Times magazine, you will find my letter to the editor in it. LOL (true story). It lists my favorite load that I was using back then. Not sure I want to mention how many grains of powder I was using with the 140 gr bullet, but it was with a HEAVY dose (what else, eh? :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:) of IMR 7828 at over 3300+ fps. With that said, and if I had a 7mag today, I would have to start all over as it has just been too long ago & things change of course.

I think(?) some of the powders I would try today (besides 7828) with the 140 gr bullet would be RL 19 & 22 & IMR 4350. IMR 4831 has always been a good stand by in many calibers, including the 7mag. Also, H4831 was always a winner in that caliber, but velocity was considerably lower with the lighter bullets, IF, I recall correctly. And that's scarey! lol

Anyway, the 7mm Rem Mag & the 270 wsm are a couple of my very favorite larger game calibers. So great choice IMO! Good luck, and keep us posted on your results.

#7 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Frank, I purchaced some IMR 4831 at the gun show, anong with a Hornady cam lock trimmer,However the Lee bullet holders will not work on the Hornady trimmer. I just ordered two deburing tools for the case trimmer, and some Hornady bullet holders.Tom

#8 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Tom, Tom, I told you to stay away from the Honady Trimmer! When will you ever learn? LOL J/K Let me know If I have any shell holders you need.
  • KNOCKED UP likes this
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#9 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Using IMR4831 with 140gr bullets will give you about 400FPS less than RL19 or 22 or IMR4350 or Hybrid100.

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

OOPS, correction on my original post above in regards to Hodgdon loads. Saying it was "grossly underloaded" was a gross mistake of mine. It didn't sound right so I double checked and sure enough I was on drugs. I hate when I use the wrong medicine. Anyway, I was looking at the wrong chart. :)

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

Using IMR4831 with 140gr bullets will give you about 400FPS less than RL19 or 22 or IMR4350 or Hybrid100.

WOW, DR, that certainly was not my case. While I no longer have my notes, I do remember none of my max loads were no more than approx 300 fps apart, with most running closer to 150 or 100 fps deviation. I believe IMR 4831 was in fact one of the better / faster loads if my LOUSY memory serves me right? But hey, I was wrong once before. Well, ok, twice before, counting my post above. :)

#12 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Thanks Frank,You are fogiven.Tom

#13 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

Doug,Give me a break, I just started reloading, and I haven't built up my powder supply like you have. LOL. Some day I will grow up and have every part and supply like you.Tom

#14 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Just trying to help.Frank: Sorry I said that off the top of my pea brain. The loss with IMR4381 was about 200 FPS after looking at my records. But still shot slower than RL19 & 22, H450, IMR4350 and Hybrid100. It did shoot about the same as H-414.If you want to come by we can load up some with different powders and go to the range and try them over the chrono. I have most powders you would want to try or data is shown for.

#15 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

LOL... Thanks, Tom... I do appreciate it.Whew... Thanks, DR... At least I came close to getting one (almost) right anyhow. I really do get things mixed up now and then, and seems to have gotten worse over the last 2 1/2 yrs or so.And yes, I totally believe you, DR, on the RL 19 powder. I've had some awesome results with it in my 300 mag and the 165gr bullet in particular... producing best accuracy and highest velocity combined. Tom, you better get busy, as it looks like you have LOTS of work to do now. lol

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

My load doug helped me with is. 69 gr r22 139 gmx its like a lazer.Now do you think a copper bullet will word good on elk?

#17 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

I believe the 139 gr GMX bullet would kill an elk just fine. However, I personally would want a bit more bullet weight for elk. They are a HUGE beast, & a bullet in the 160-175 gr will hit 'em substantially harder than a 139 gr, especially at the longer distances. Along with the added reliability of obtaining deeper penetration makes the heavier weight bullet a better choice IMO.

Just my :two-cents:

#18 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

I too started plaing with the 7Mag. I got the 120 Gr V-Max shooting pretty well with 71gr Re22. Now I need to load up a few more Nosler 140's and see how they fly as well. Im sure that these will put a smack on a Coyote. :crazy:
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#19 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

I have a friend in Wy who has taken many elk and a bison with 145gr Speer bullets. I have another in Montanana who uses 140gr Nosler Partition in a 7mm Weatherby and has taken many elk. They were not anymore impresses with 160-175gr bullets than the ones they use. They have not had wounded game to chase or loose either. My buddy from here took his elk in Col with a 140gr Nosler Partition at a long range when he was alive. The 140gr Nosler Partition or Swift A-frame bullet is a great bullet in the 7mm Rem mag or the Weatherby mag.

I have taken a number of deer and pronghorns with my 7mm Rem Mag and 140gr Nosler Partition bullets. If I go elk hunting I will probably use my 338win mag with 210gr Nosler Partition bullets or possibly a 225gr Swift A-Frame bullet.

If you like heavier bullets go for it. I will stick to 140gr Nosler PARtition or Swift A-frames myself.

#20 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Grant those 120s sound great I bet they will be flat shooting and knock the. Crap out of coyotes.now you gave me an idea lol

#21 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

I dont know how they will work yet, but I doubt that they will be "Coyote Friendly" lol

#22 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

As I read back over all the old post's,

I gathered a lot. I love this site,

There is a lot of wisdom hiding behind these keyboards.

Thank you all.

I have since built up several different types of powders,

And more choices of bullets.

I owe Grant a great deal for his wisdom,

And he has given me a lot of brass, powders, and bullets.

I can always buy my own parts and pieces,

But the knowledge I have received here is priceless,

And I really appreciate it.

Thanks to you all

Tom

#23 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Using 140gr bullets I have about 70 rounds of 5 rounds per powder loaded to test out. I was going to go to the range last weekend but my truck needed gas and I did not want to pay that price. I will test at a later date when gas prices come down some. I will let you know how they did for me.

Tom----You are welcome to load up any test rounds you want and come shoot with me. You will then know the speed and accuracy of them.

#24 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Please keep us posted on the 140's. Ever since I put the "Limbsaver" on the 7 Mag, its actually fun to shoot! LOL

#25 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Using 140gr bullets I have about 70 rounds of 5 rounds per powder loaded to test out. I was going to go to the range last weekend but my truck needed gas and I did not want to pay that price. I will test at a later date when gas prices come down some. I will let you know how they did for me.

Tom----You are welcome to load up any test rounds you want and come shoot with me. You will then know the speed and accuracy of them.

Thanks Doug,
I may take you up on that.
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users