14 replies to this topic

#1 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hello,Just got approved to post so here's my post :)I live near LA/OC border. My friend invited me to come to his property in San Diego to help him control ground squirrel using air gun. So I was doing some research and stumbled upon this great forum. So I ordered a Benjamin discovery in 22 cal with pump & a scope. I am planning to take it to Mac 1 to have their accuracy prep done. Besides that is there anything else you recommend done on this air gun?Also does the Mac 1 carry scope rings & do they have scope mounting and sight in service? Thanks for your help!Brian

#2 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Welcome to the CPC. This is a great place and you'll find alot of information here.The Benjamin Discovery is a great first PCP and a good choice. Most who shoot them use the 15.9 grain JSB Exact pellets. The H & N Sport Field Target Trophy 14.66 grain pellets in 5.53 diameter head size also shoot well in the Discovery from my experience. Keep in mind that using the Discovery filled to a starting pressure of 2000 PSI you will get around (20) shots that will give you a good power curve and your ending PSI will be around 1200PSI. My personal .22 Discovery using the Field Target Trophy pellets starts around 819FPS and peaks around 844FPS and at the 20th shot I'm back down to 818FPS. That's a great power curve for a PCP in the price range these Discovery's are.As far as an accuracy prep, I'm not sure it that is totally necessary, however, if you are new to PCP's or air guns in general, then it can get you shooting accurately much faster. If you run a few dry patches down the barrel to clean out the oil and metal gunk that is in the barrel from the factory it should shoot pretty good. Probably the most important thing is using the right pellets. Find the one that is the most accurate and stick with that one. The ones I mentioned above typically work well in almost every Discovery.You can get scope rings from almost any place on the web. Depending on the bell size on your scope you'll either need medium or high scope rings with the 11mm/ 3/8" dovetail type of attachment. If the scope bell is 40mm you could probably use medium, but I personally use high scope rings on mine. If the bell on your scope is 50mm then you will definitely need the high scope rings.There is a mod you can do to the trigger (two screw or three screw depending on which you want, I did the two screw mod) which will take some of the creep and overtravel out of the trigger. You can look up how to do it up on YouTube under "Discovery Trigger Mod".Besides doing the trigger mod, the only other thing I did was I purchased a stock from Boyd's Gunstock Industries. I got the unilet Ross Thumbhole Sporter Stock and I inlet myself for the Discovery because I wasn't crazy abou the Disco stock. But the Disco stock is nice and light, so that is a plus.If you want to use a rifle sling on it, you'll want to either get the Gamo Sling Buddy, which will attach to air guns without sling studs, or you'll want to purchase some sling studs and install them yourself. The Discovery doesn't come with sling studs.If you want to learn alot about PCP's and shooting them, I would recommend you look up "Ted's Holdover" on YouTube. He talks about holdover/holdunder, pellet speed and chronographing for accuracy using the mildot scope system and much more. If you have questions, feel free to ask. If we know the answer we'll let you know and if not, we'll say so.Once again, welcome and have fun with that air rifle.

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Tim at Mac 1 did my Discovery .22 about 3 years ago...accuracy prep,power adjuster,etc..it is a bargin and you won't be disappointed.I've nailed a bunch of squirrels with the Discovery and accuracy really pays off especially on the longer shots.Posted Image

#4 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

Thanks all for your replies. My discovery is to be here this Monday. I am getting excited like a kid on a Christmas hahaBrian

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

I have a few guns done by Tim at Mac1 also and am very happy with the way they perform. Keep us up to date with your new Discovery when you get it. They are a very good gun for the price. Plenty powerful for small game and turkey and very accurate. My father in law has mine and is using it for pest control around his place. I really need to get him his own but I have a selection of others to choose from. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

Just received my Benjamin discovery last night and it looks really nice and shoulders sweet! Still waiting for the scope and a mount to take it to Mac 1. Then off to ahoot some ground squirrels! I will post pics when it's all ready.

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

That's great! I look forward to seeing your picts. :504:

#8 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Quick question guys,How many fills do you get from a scuba pony bottle? They run between 6cf to 13cf in size. Looking at some portable tank to take out to the field.Thank you,Brian

#9 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

For the Discovery, if you get the Benjamin Bottle, you can get around 5 to 6 fills before it doesn't fill the Disco to 2000PSI. Other bottles that may fill to higher volume or higher PSI (in which case you will need a regulator to make sure you don't overfill your Disco) will give you more fills per bottle fill. If you can get a used Benjamin air bottle they will work well for your Discovery. Crazyhorse has one and he says that it works well for hunting and filling in the field and he gets around 5 to 6 fills. That is the nice thing about the the Discovery, since it's fill pressure is lower you can use a bottle that fills to a lower pressure.

#10 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Scuba pony bottle is actually little cheaper than Benjamin bottle. 13cf is about $100 locally. Is there any special adapter that I need if I was to use pony bottle? I was going to buy fill adapter from Mac-1.Thanks again for your help.Brian

#11 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Going to Mac 1 tomorrow morning :good:

#12 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

Let us know how it goes. :good:

#13 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

My discovery is at Mac 1 gettin their full treatment now :D

#14 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Here's after Mac-1 treatment.Posted ImageIt shoots straight and hard. Can't wait to get out next weekend! Brian

#15 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Very nice and I wish you some good squeek hunting next weekend. :two-cents:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users