• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activity. Diving. Fishing, Hiking, Hunting and Camping.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hi everyone.I have a question and just want to get from you experiance air rifle guys opinion and help to make me understand it for sure.I have tried to sight in my Benjamin Trail NP all weather ,177 yesterday and today.I used three different types of pellets I have which are Crosman wadcutter 7.4gr . Permier Hollow Point 7.9 gr and Permier Ultra Magnum 10.5 gr.I have shot almost 150 of wadcutter to break in the rifle and sight in with this type of pellet, When I get the group at 50 feet less than half inch, I changed to Permier HP 7.9 gr and the group gets to left side upper like 4" away. So I tried the 10.5 gr Ultra Magnum and it came down to the center but lining to the right about 3 inch in group. So before I do the adjustment to my scope when using different type of pellet. I wondering if I can ask everyone that if it is true I need to sight in everytime I change to different type and weight of pellet? I am planning to order all my future pellets to be domed pellets with heavier weight. Any comments and suggestion will be apperciated. ThanksKen

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,159 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Yes you need to sight in with every pellet you use. Find one and stick to using it.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Shooter John, I was thinking and just want to be sure.Thanks againKen

#4 STPilot

STPilot

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Jet Ski's, Photography... Oh and Shootin' Stuff!!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Yup... What SJ said. Try lots of pellets and find what shoots well in your rifle, then get a ton of those! Every pellet will have a different POI to some degree, but especially when you chance weight. Try some JSB's also, really good pellets.
Tim

VMAX... The only bullet Squirrels ask for by name!

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

Yes, and bear in mind too that different pellets will have different trajectories, depending upon their shape and weight. So if you switch between several pellets, that's a lot of information to have to keep track of. Picking just one pellet -- the one that performs best in your rifle for your intended purpose -- is the way to go.

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Exactly what ShooterJohn, STPilot and Ratassassin said. Follow that advice and you are golden. :aggressive:

#7 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thanks all for the good info. I should of post up the question and learn about pellets type before I order my rifle and pellets.( lesson learned) Now I am stuck with 2500 rounds of pointed and 2500 rounds of wadcutter (both are 7.4 gr) plus some 1500 rounds of premier domed10.5 gr. I tried them all and they all shoot to different patent and group. At least I know the new rifle have no accuracy problem and I might just use Domed pellets I had for now. maybe 1 out of 6 shot I got a flyer. Not sure if this is normal or just shooter's fault.I am going to try order some heavier JSB Diabolo exact heavy 10.34gr pellet to see if it is closer to premier domed 10.5 gr to choice one that fit the Benjamin NP all weather.I did the same with my Trail NP XL 1100 with either permier HP 14.3 gr and premier domed 14.3 gr. It seems like no this issue that shoots in different group, Maybe they have the same weight or the rifle have more power than NP all weather. I have yet take it out to shoot longer distance target so I am going to find out soon.Thanks all again..Ken

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Well you probably want to keep one tin of everything to test in future guns, etc. but you can sell unopened tins pretty readily if you just wont use them or just take them back if it was Wal-Mart.

I'm an airgunholic

#9 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Keep the Crosman Premiers. They're accurate pellets in all my rifles and if you run out of your favorite pellet, you can always use those. Wadcutters are good for shooting paper targets because they cut a nice round hole. They also are good for close and medium range pest control and really smack a varmint with that flat face, but they won't maintain velocity and energy as well as a round nose pellet at long range. I like shooting RWS Meisterklugen or H&N Match pellets from time to time and they're very accurate. You don't need pointed pellets at all. Round nose (domed) pellets provide excellent penetration. A JSB Exact 8.4 grain domed .177 pellet fired from my Air Arms ProSport will punch a hole in the front of an unopened tuna can, through the meat and out the back. So even an armor plated cottontail wouldn't be safe from a round nose pellet.And just forget Gamo PBA altogether. A speed gimmick and not very accurate from what I hear.You might not want to get all heavy domed pellets. The 8.4 grain JSB Exacts and 8.9 grain Beeman Field Target Specials are wonderful pellets and will be faster and with a flatter trajectory than the heavier 10.4 grain domed pellets. But the heavy pellets, while having a loopier trajectory at longer ranges, will maintain more energy at longer ranges and buck the wind better. So it depends upon what you want. I tend to use the heavier pellets in my more powerful air rifles, and the lighter or medium weight ones in my lower powered rifles. So, for example, my ProSport uses either JSB Exact Heavy 10.4 grain or JSB Exact 8.4 grain, my lower powered but ridiculously accurate R7 uses JSB Exact 8.4 grain, Predators or H&N Match, my RWS Panther Pro Compact uses JSB Exact Heavy 10.4 grain and my R9 uses Beeman Field Target Special 8.9 grain. The R9 is my favorite spot and stalk hunting rifle and my R7 is my primary rat sniping gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users