• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 hsiehjohn

hsiehjohn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing for Tuna, hunting wild pigs and coyotes.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Has anyone thought about using, or are using, the .243 as a dedicated predator gun? I was looking at the 22-250 but saw the ballistics on the 243 where it will spit the 55 grain at close to 4000 fps.

#2 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Lots of guys on here shooting 243s. My coyote gun is a Rem 6mm. My coyote load is 65 gr. v-max at 3500 fps.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#3 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

The 243 Winchester is a great coyote rifle.If you are going to be shooting fox or bobcats the 243 Win is too big for that. My favorite lead bullet for coyotes out of a 243 was the 75 gr V-Max. If you have to shoot lead free bullets I would pick a 243 Win over a 22-250 when it comes to factory rifles.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,342 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

The only drawback to a .243 is pure inefficiency. Have a few, and love them all, but it is just as expensive as shooting the 06. Bullets aren't much cheaper and it uses just as much powder. I shoot the Sierra 60gr hp's because my gun likes them, and yes they do move quickly, but, if I had it to do over again I would buy a .223 (kills just as well as any other gun out there with a lot less powder than say a 250 or .243) for coyotes and anything smaller and use the ole 06 I had for anything larger. Especially when you consider that a dead coyote shot with a .223 and roughly 25-27 grains of (fill in the blank) as compared the 40+ grains of (again, pick a powder) from a .243 is just as dead. But if powder costs don't bother you and speed is all you care about, it will do. But be forewarned, you will be able to shoot just as happily, and much more, with a .223. Good luck whichever way you go.

#5 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

.223 or if you load a .204 since you like the speed. But a .243 will kill em dead, one of my calling buddies shoots a .243 ai and it kills but it'll ruin em if you hit em wrong but so does my .204

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

HEY... Why you starting trouble? :signbummer8tl: (j.k.)

the 243 where it will spit the 55 grain at close to 4000 fps.

So will the 250... with a 50 gr bullet; the 40gr at 4200 fps & the 35 gr non lead at 4530 fps. Or so "they" tell me anyhow. :sport037fn4: Anyway, if 47 1/2 people respond to your question, you could get 47 1/2 different answers... (with new made up calibers & all). lolObviously the 250 is my favorite due to substantially less recoil, muzzle jump, powder, & EXPENSE... Costs of 243 components are considerably HIGHER...And what is one gaining with all those extras? Answer: Almost Nothing! Trajectory? Hardly!... Energy? Sure, but how much energy is needed to kill a skinny, 25 lb dog? In all honesty, some folks, especially beginners, needing a 243 for predators has MUCH more to do with their TRYING to make up for LOUSY hits--which it won't, in spite of some claiming otherwise. It is WHERE they are hit, not WHAT they are hit with. Always has been, always will be! (with normally accepted varmint / predator calibers).But hey, if one wants or likes the 243 for predators (exclusively), then I LOVE the 243 :yikes[1]: Sorry Guys... just saying it like I see it... and don't be too harsh on me, Grant. :doh[1]: p.s. using the 243 as an all around caliber or for non lead usage is the exception to the above... but was not in the original post!p.s.s... Bob (Bisley) just reminded me... I did not mention the 223, as it was not one of the original choices. But, I totally agree with Bob on the 223 being one of, if not the best choice. Such a dilemma! lolp.s.s.s... My 223 drives a 40 gr bullet just under 3800 fps & a 35 gr just under 3900 fps. My friends 223 drives the same bullets & loads at 200 fps faster than my rifle... 4000 & 4100 fps respectively! What 204? Sorry for all my pssssinggggggggg lol

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

i shoot both the 22-250 and the 243. My favorite for coyotes is the 22-250.( 4300 fps with a 40 grain ,for Frank)they really put a whop on a coyote. If you want to shoot heavier weight bullets the 243 is a great choice. seems the 22-250 kills coyotes better than the 243.? Either is a good choice. The .223 is one I never owned but always wanted to.

#8 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

I shoot a .243 because I can kill pigs, deer and coyotes with the same gun. I have a .308, a couple of .223s, and they all kill coyotes the same. If you are using it as a plinker then you should think about a .223 but think about it, if it's a hunting gun you will go through a couple of boxes a year at the most so the cost doesn't really matter.

#9 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting, Arm Wrestling, Camping and Cooking

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

I have a rem 770 .243. For all the flak the gun gets I love it as it shoots straight as an arrow! im confident with it out passed 300 while shooting factory 55g BST Winchester Supremes. I have yet to see a dog run more than 10 yards after Ive hit it. Expensive to shoot! $32-$35 a box....With all that said, Its getting past down to the wife and kids now. Ive decided to step down in caliber to the .223 and up in quality to the 700 VSF. like said before, you can get pretty close to the same speed of a .243 with the smaller less expensive .223 and thats the main reason for my switch. Well that and Im going to start reloading soon and again it less expensive. Good luck!

#10 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

I've used the 243 with the 75 grain VMax for coyotes at long range.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#11 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

A 243 will kill stuff a lot bigger than a coyote with good shot placement. That may be something to consider. Remember though that there is no free lunch. The 243 and the 22-250 are known to have short barrel lives. If you want super flat and super fast you have to pay the piper somewhere. If you are not concerned with larger game, a 223 will kill coyotes just as dead as any other caliber but It won't shoot as flat and as fast. The catch is that a .223 can go upwards of 8000 rounds ( not a misprint) and still hold minute of coyote. So my point is that for what ever you get on one end, you have to give up something on the other. If the performance a 243 gives you worth the shorter barrel life and added cost per round, grab one and start slaying dogs. If not, a 223 is a very capable dog slayer and its cheaper to shoot.
http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64check out my piece of the webHowa 1500, short action, 24" #6 contour heavy varmint barrel, Bell & Carlson MkII medalist, 4-16x50mm optics.

#12 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

LOL Frank.. The .243 may indeed be a good cal for Coyotes. But until I can get that Remmi to shoot, I will prolly never know! :good:
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#13 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

The 243 Winchester is a great coyote rifle.

ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#14 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

The only solution is to get one of each caliber. :good:

#15 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Boy, ain't that the truth, Mike, and is usually what we end up doing if we stay with this sport very long.In other words hsiehjohn, it doesn't matter what caliber you get now, as you'll end up with the others anyhow... eventually! LOL

#16 hsiehjohn

hsiehjohn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing for Tuna, hunting wild pigs and coyotes.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Rats, I'm going to be broke again. I thought it was going to be an easy decision and flip a coin to see which one to get. But now you guys throw in 223 and 204 into the mix ..... I guess I might have to try them all.I also thought about using my .270 on yotes as practice for deer season. I'm wondering if I can flip a yote up in the air, like we do with a squiral, using a big gun.

#17 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

The big calibers usually just punch holes right through em. I have seen a few shot with .300 win that just dropped but there was no carnage. But I do have a video where they shoot a coyote in Mexico with a .50 BMG and that sucker 'sploded.

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

yes 243 works just fine.Since I bought a 223 I mostly use that for coyotes now.

#19 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,679 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

I use the 243 because it can take our big game also and I hate reloading . So it easyer on me just to load just for it. Ok I like my 270 also for them 90grn bthpt. :) But who needs a rifle for them any way. :bleh[1]: :aggressive:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#20 240 supervarminter

240 supervarminter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

i use a 22 250ai pushing 40gr's over 4500 and it works amazingly well, then again i have a 243ai useing 105gr vld's going just over 3300 both work great i like em both just the same, but if im hunting real open areas or coyotes with alot of pressure/ education you might only get a 500yrd shot so thats where the 243 comes in handy...just my 2cents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users