• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activity. Diving. Fishing, Hiking, Hunting and Camping.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Saw this onsale at Big 5 and are very interested. Is this also a good rifle for Coyote/Varmint hunting? Or the 16" barrel are too short? Never have a .22LR before and wanna to get one to starting my varmint hunting. Also I am staring learning to compare different type of .22LR ammo. What is different between HP and V-max? Any good lead free .22LR bullets you can suggest that will be great help. ThanksKen

#2 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

You could kill coyotes with it but it's not ideal it is very short ranged. For the cost of that you could get a lower end centerfire rifle that will shoot better and have better range. You could get a mossberg or a Remington 770 or even a howa ranch rifle which is what I would get if it was me. Plus a .22 like that needs the higher end ammo.

#3 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activity. Diving. Fishing, Hiking, Hunting and Camping.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the info Tuolumne85. I have never own a .22 rifle before( excpet the air rifle I just got). Didn't go out shooting since 2002 until last year to start hunting with shotguns with friends, Just like the AR style black gun so I was thinking to get either 20" barrel or 16" barrel. I will do more research and find out which one I should get. Thanks again for replyKen

#4 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

You could get a different lower for your other ar with a bullet button and use your other upper on that lower and then it would be legal. That .22 m4 would be fun for shooting just not a calling rifle.

#5 moger

moger

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:tattooing. painting.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

i have the one from big 5. got it when it was on sale. once u have it zero its very accurate..i use it for plinking.but i shot rabbits with it..even at a pretty long range its still accurate..i have a variable zoom scope on mine cuz those rabbits run away soon as they see u n can be hard to spot since they blend well with the dirt n bushes.. also doesnt help that i just drive around in da jeep till i see em..

#6 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

If you like teh AR style, just get the regular .223/5.56 version of the rifle for coyote and bigger varmints.

You can pick up a basic DPMS or the S&W Sporter version for $700 or less, and be set with a good centerfire rifle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users