#1 lukem

lukem

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, offroading, cooking

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hey there. I'm pretty new to hunting and want some experienced opinions on a first .22. I found a good spot with a decent number of rabbits, and i don't think my third hand pellet gun is going to do the trick. I'm looking for a bolt action or break barrel, single shot ok, for under two hundred dollars. the area is pretty hilly, no shots over 30m, so I dont need anything insanely accurate. any advice?

#2 jeager

jeager

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Verify if you're in Condor Fly Zone and check DFG regs.Hate to REIGN on your Domain.

#3 lukem

lukem

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

i am aware i am in a condor no lead zone. are you saying there is no non-lead .22 ammo?

#4 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activity. Diving. Fishing, Hiking, Hunting and Camping.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

I am no expert and just got into the air rifle as well. But I too just got my first .22 break barrel rifle last week and love it. That was a deal on Amazon for Banjamin Trail NP XL 1100 .22 rifle selling for $229 free shipping and no tax. MSRP was $359 from Crosman. I have check some review and almost 4.5 star on every site I have checked. You can find some review on you tube as well. I have learned that Nitro Piston least longer than springs piston and for a little bit over 200. I am sure others will give you more advise but just thought to pass out the info for good deal.

#5 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activity. Diving. Fishing, Hiking, Hunting and Camping.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

oops.. Sorry I didn't check it was on rifle board. I thought you were asking for an air rifle .22 . My bad.

#6 lukem

lukem

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

no problem. i've thought about a .22 air rifle too, but decided to go the gunpowder direction.

#7 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

For an under $200 rifle its hard to beat the marlins. or look for the bolt actions on the used rack at your local gun shops and pawn shops. In my lifetime Ive only seen two bolt 22s that were worn out. So they are pretty durable. A Savage 64 or Mossberg 802 also comes in at under $200.

#8 lukem

lukem

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

thanks danger. i don't have too many gun shops in town, but ill look around the surrounding areas

#9 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

In the late 70s there were at least two gun shops in SLO. Might check in Arroyo Grande or Paso Robles, both are in great hog hunting areas and should support a couple of gunshops. DRA quick web search shows at least 7 within a couple of miles of you! Might make a great sat afternoon visiting them! DRhttp://www.armsdealer.net/businesses/category/gun-shops/california/san-luis-obispo

#10 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Marlins are good - you can also check for Savage and Stevens (sub of Savage). My preference has always been a good lever 22, but you would wind up over $200. And it is hard to wear out a 22LR rifle. Pretty safe buying used ones.

#11 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

I have marlins savages and rugers. A 10/22 is hard to beat and if you ever decided to get rid of it it would be easy to do. Mags and other accessories are readily available. But as far as a bolt I'd get a savage and then you can get the one that can shoot the shorts too, which is handy to have.

#12 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

Just make sure to take your shorts off before you shoot them! ;-)

#13 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

Verify if you're in Condor Fly Zone and check DFG regs.Hate to REIGN on your Domain.

Judging by the original post, it won't matter since you don't need lead free to hunt rabbit :signtripledogdare2wf: .

I found a good spot with a decent number of rabbits, and i don't think my third hand pellet gun is going to do the trick.

#14 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Lead is OK to use on Rabbits/Small-Game
Hic Ego Statio

#15 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

From the DFG Web site:Modifications to Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Mammals (Section 475, Title 14, CCR) were also adopted to prohibit the use of lead projectiles in the same areas when hunting coyotes, ground squirrels, and other non-game wildlife. These regulations become effective July 1, 2008.

#16 NaCladdict

NaCladdict

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Lots of folks talk up the marlin 795 as one of the best out of the box. I don't have one but my friend does and it's definitely a good stock shooter. I personally had to do a fair amount of work to my 10/22 to make it as nice. My Brother has a stevens bolt that is pretty sweet too.

#17 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Trucks,Firearms,Computers,Doberman Pinchers

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

thanks danger. i don't have too many gun shops in town, but ill look around the surrounding areas

Harbor Gun Shop 505 Morro Bay Blvd Morro Bay Ca,93442 805-772-1000 Right next door to the Tattoo Parlor.Crusty old guy runs it.

#18 lukem

lukem

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

thanks. ill be sure to shop around

#19 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Have you considered a 17 HMR?I love mine for rabbits and ground squirels.It is a real tack driver, with a little more punch than a 22 cal.Savage has a very nice bolt action.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#20 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Definately consider the henry Lever action. At &289 from Gunbroker it's a great buy. an comes with a life tiem warrenty from Henry. Will shoot anything. I put peep sights on them and thy are great shooters and fast. http://www.gunbroker...?Item=282484727http://www.midwayusa...rd-upright-blue
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#21 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Leverguns and peeps go together like whiskey and ice :) . The guns themselves are fast, rugged, and reliable, and the peeps work just fine for the guns' ranges of use and very solid too. And the fun factor, :sport037fn4: . A man could do a heck of a lot worse.

#22 lukem

lukem

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

you know, ive never thought about a .17, i might have to consider that.

Have you considered a 17 HMR?I love mine for rabbits and ground squirels.It is a real tack driver, with a little more punch than a 22 cal.Savage has a very nice bolt action.Tom

#23 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Forget the .17 unless you aren't worried about the cost of ammo and you can kill sqirrels and rabbits just as dead with a .22.

#24 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I have my uncle's old Marlin Glenfield M25 bolt gun in S/L/LR from the 60's and it still shoots fine. I put a cheap Bushnell 3-9X32 on it and can shoot a spoon spinner at 60 yards easily enough. You can find them on gunbroker for under $80 sometimes with a beat up stock and a fine bore. A little sanding, a run in the dishwasher and some oil and it'll be a nice little hunting rifle.

#25 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

LukemSave up for a little while longer and get a Ruger 10/22. They are very accurate right out of the box and being a semi auto, having the quick folow up shot is great for rabbits. Being semi auto you also aren't having to cycle the bolt or break the barrel resulting in movement and possibly spooking the game. Another great thing about a 10/22 is that there is a ton of after market stuff for them so when you get a bit more cash you can trick it out.Mc

#26 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

An old long barreled, tube fed, Remington bolt action would be my choice because I like my .22's to wear iron sights rather than a scope and most rifles nowadays are almost worthless without a scope. The sights are chubby and cover what you're trying to aim at and most .22's now wear carbine length barrels that have a short sight radius. I have a 10-22 but I never saw what all the hoopla was about them. I really like the long barreled rifle version though.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#27 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

I have a 10-22 but I never saw what all the hoopla was about them.

Because 99.99% of the population is more worried about how they are going to follow up with their second shot than how they are going to shoot their first shot. One of the reasons (in my opinion) for the great lack of shooting skills today, as evident at any public range. :1087:And let us not forget that you can put an extra $500+ into them and make them shoot as well as a quality rifle that only cost $300-$400 to begin with :lol: .Yes, I do own one, but I can't remember the last time it was shot. Even the kids enjoy the 39A (lever action) over it. I guess even they think it is more fun to shoot and hit consistently than to mess with jams and spray lead :rofl2: .

#28 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

39A - best 22 ever. Got mine for christmas when I was 11 (1976). Still shoots like a dream.

#29 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

Very nice, so you got the pre-cross bolt safety one also? Golden trigger too I imagine? Bought mine roughly 7 years ago at a pawn shop for $250 in late September after shooting the one brother came home from AZ with he bought during dove opener. I picked mine for half what he paid since it would not fire the last 4-5 rounds. I saw that the magazine tube was loose, flared it out, fit it back in, and have been shooting it worry free ever since. They truly are one of the finest examples of American rimfire workmanship. And boy do they shoot straight! They also have everything you could want in a hunting rifle. Strong, solid, reliable, you can use of short, long or long rifle, compact break down design, and tube fed so that you can rest it on anything without having a magazine stick out the bottom like many magazine fed ones. I hear the Henry's are very, very smooth (afraid to try it since I know I will buy it), but there's just something about owning the longest production rifle ever :good: .

#30 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

The Henrys are sweet shooting guns. I especially like the frontier and golden boy. They have a longer and heavier octagon barrel that gives it a nice feel for offhand shooting. The only gripe I have with my golden boy is that there is more drop in the stock than most guns have so I have to use a shallow cheek weld to see the sights. A nice leather lace on would fix her right up.Another good option for an iron sighted rimfire would be a Taurus pump. They're a copy of the old Winchester hammer pump. I have the short barreled version in .22 mag and its a lot of fun. As cheap as they are a guy could buy the long barreled model and get a nice set of Marbles sights for it.The Cz bolt guns have a good reputation but I've never shot one.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users