Photo

Hevi-Shot tungsten loads, get them while you can.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Most of the ammo manufacturers have gone out of the tungsten shotgun shell business because the price of the shot has gone up too far. If you thought Hevi-Shot Waterfowl and Dead Coyote loads were high priced a few years ago check out some of the prices now "Cabela's $44.99 for 3" 1-1/2 oz DC T shot or Waterfowl B shot.I just heard from a few people that even Hevi-Shot is going to drop out of the Tungsten shotgun shell market. I don't know that for a fact but they are pricing themselves out of the tungsten shotgun shell market.I am forced to shoot lead free shot at coyotes so I have been buying tungsten loads whenever I can find a good buy on it because I don't ever want to shoot steel shot at coyotes. If you search around you can find some tungsten shotgun shells that will work great on coyotes and if you search hard enough you can find some at decent prices.Bass Pro Shops still has the Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense 1-1/4 oz BB loads for $9.98 per box of 10 shells, THIS IS A UNBELIEVABLE BUY right now for tungsten shotgun shells.Cabela's has the Hevi-Shot 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz B goose loads on sale for $19.98 per box of 10 shells or you can buy the 3" 1-1/2 oz B Goose loads for $44.99 per box of 10 shells. So to get 1/4 oz more shot in the Hev-Shot goose loads it costs $25.00 more per box of 10 shells. The Hevi-Shot 3" B loads are $35.00 more per box of 10 shells than the Rem UHD 2-3/4" tungsten BB loads at BPS. I don't think that extra 1/4 oz per shell is worth $3.50 more per shell!If you do some searches there are a few places that still have the OLD Hevi-Shot prices on their ammo. I lucked out a few weeks ago and got 15 boxes of 3" Rem Wingmaster HD Waterfowl and Predator T shot loads for a good price. There are only a few places I kind find any Rem HD Predator or Waterfowl loads and they are either 10 ga or 12 ga 3-1/2" loads.

#2 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

So if there is no more tungsten loads around, what do us non-lead zone folks use? Steel? I've read steel doesn't work that well on predators.

#3 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

It is still around but it won't be for long.I just figured out that Sportsman's Warehouse has Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote 3" loads for $15.00 less per box than Cabela's.

#4 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

But what happens when it's all gone? Where will we be then? Part of the reason I'm asking is that I'm getting close to drop $650 on a Mossberg 935 for a dedicated coyote shotgun. I'd rather not do it if I won't be able to use it in the non-lead zone.

#5 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

That sux I use the turkey loads. Good think I still have a few boxes

#6 Lonehowl

Lonehowl

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Same problem here, non lead zone and have been looking for decent priced loads, but to no avail.I refuse to pay 45 bucks a box. Thats just silly. Dont know what Ill do, steel seems out of the question to me.Mark

#7 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

Sportsman's Warehouse has the Hevi-Shot 3" 1-1/2 oz B Waterfowl loads for $26.99 and the Dead Coyote 3" T shot loads for $30.99 so I just ordered 10 boxes of each. The $26.99 per box for the 3" B loads doesn't seem so bad now that most places are charging $41.00 to $45.00 per box.

#8 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

Same problem here, non lead zone and have been looking for decent priced loads, but to no avail.I refuse to pay 45 bucks a box. Thats just silly. Dont know what Ill do, steel seems out of the question to me.Mark

Get some of the Rem HD 2-3/4" BB loads from Bass Pro Shops for $9.98 before they are all gone. Bass Pro's original price was $24.95 per box. There are still places trying to sell these HD UHD BB loads for over $22.00 a box.

#9 Lonehowl

Lonehowl

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up Bob, Ill check it out.Mark

#10 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

I got the Hevi-Shot loads I ordered from Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday. They ended up being $13.00 less per box for the DC T loads and about $16.00 less per box for the Waterfowl B loads than what most of the other places are charging now.Right now Hevi-Shot has a $10.00 per box rebate for just one box or a $50.00 rebate per case "10 boxes" for 1 case per household. This rebate is for Waterfowl loads only not the Dead Coyote loads. You can get the rebate information on the Hevi-Shot web site.

#11 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

Wow! I just got my $50.00 rebate check from Hevi-Shot. That was quick! They said it could take up to 8 weeks.So the 3" Hevi-Shot, B shot, 1-1/2 oz goose loads ended up costing $21.99 per box plus shipping. With the rebate that is $13.00 to $17.00 less per box than quite a few places are charging right now for Hevi-Shot loads.Right now Cabela's has the 12 ga 3" 1-3/8 oz BB, Winchester Supreme Elite Xtended Range Hi-Density lead free shot shells for $19.99 per box and they have a $5.00 shipping deal going also.

#12 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Too bad there is nothing good for Yotes in 20ga lead free

#13 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members