Photo

Barrel break in process, whats your routine?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting, Arm Wrestling, Camping and Cooking

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

I have a 40 round process I go through that takes a half day at the range. I have my standard cleaning tools, extra patches I also have my copper and powder solvents with me.I start by cleaning the factory grease and oil off and re oiling the gun. I also give the barrel a good cleaning before I go to the range. Once at the range I shoot this pattern.1 shot, scrub and clean barrel with both solvents until COMPLETELY clean. (10x's) takes about 2 hours or so. 10 bullets 3 shot group, scrub and clean barrel with both solvents until COMPLETELY clean. (5x's) takes another hour. 15 bullets 5 shot group, scrub and clean barrel with both solvents until COMPLETELY clean. (5x's) takes an hour or a bit less. 15 bulletsThis usually takes me 4-5 hours... I take a break after the first 40 then go back and see what I kind of groups I can shoot. That's about all I do to "break in" my barrels.... What about you? How do you go about it? Do you even do anything but take the gun and start shooting?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

I've tried every process there is and they shoot just as well if you just go shoot them.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

I've tried every process there is and they shoot just as well if you just go shoot them.

+1Exactly. Done that laborious chore on a few guns. While it doesn't hurt a thing, I never noticed a difference.I give them a really good cleaning before shooting them...then again once I get home from shooting them. All broke in.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

I took Sj advice years ago and it works.I don't even clean them when new just shoot a few hundred rounds and come home and clean .Then work up some loads and experiment.What you need to do is get a 6 foot steel pipe and walk around with it to simulate that heavy calling rifle you bought.

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I run a bore snake or a few patches(dry) thru the barrel to be sure nothing is in the barrel. The go to the range and shoot. The only "trick" that is needed is to not let the barrel get so hot that you cannot hold it. When it gets hot just stop shooting until it cools down. Damage to the barrel(or wear) goes up as the barrel gets hotter. This is true with a new or a much used barrel. After I am done I will clean it. After that it gets cleaned when I get around to it. My barrels shoot well(some better than I do) and last thru many rounds.The only thing that the shoot and clean thing does is make sure you do not over heat the barrel. Ask McMillan rifles. In truth you could actually be doing harm if improper cleaning is done. More rifles have been ruined from improper cleaning than lack of cleaning. Many rifles shoot better with a barrel that is not real clean than if it is very clean. I take that back. Whatever way a person "breaks in" a barrel which in their mind helps the barrel shoot better will do so. It really does not make it shhot better BUT it does make them think it does. Shooting is also very much a mental game. So if you think it helps then your mind-set is better and you tend to shoot better.

#6 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Not just the barrel, But I clean every inch of a new gun inside and out. I once bought a Russian double shotgun that had about a teaspoon of debris mixed into its action, and stock, Plus a handfull of heavy grease. Once all that was cleaned out I take them out and shoot them. Rifles the same way. DR

#7 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

I wipe off the excess oil and go shooting. I shoot it a lot. I might go out a couple more times and shoot it some more. Then I might clean it. It has worked well for years. Most guns I've shot seem to shoot better dirty, particularly rimfires.

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

That's about all I do to "break in" my barrels.... What about you?

No such thing. A marketing gimmic that some folks suspect was started by a custom gun / barrel maker.I say that after friends & I have shot NUMEROUS, off the shelf, brand new rifles over several + decades that produced 1 hole, 5 shot groups right from the get go. Some groups from 1/8-3/8". WHY, would one need anything better, especially in a hunting rifle?Now if one just enjoys going through all that timely, & semi-cost(lier) process then that is cool. Btw, it can also reduce barrel life, especially on hot rods such as 22-250, 220 Swifts, 257 Wby mags etc. But again, whatever one enjoys or feels needing to do. It's all good. LOL

Ask McMillan rifles. In truth you could actually be doing harm if improper cleaning is done.

Exactly, DR... In fact at one time anyway, if McMillan found out that a customer used JB bore cleaner in his barrels, he voided the warranty. That stuff is abrassive, and dulls the edges of the rifling, and probably should only be used in the worst of fouled barrels. I know one Gunsmith that won't use it, no matter how fouled the barrels are. Not sure I would agree with that, but one should be aware before using that stuff.

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

In this case, its a stock barrel on a Remmington. It will either be a shooter or a tomato stake. lol :lol: But seriuosly, cleaning prior to shooting it is all that I do to mine. Now maybe Id do something after spending 3-$ 500 dollars on a custom barrel, but for the average store bought firearm, I doubt that you would gain anything. But if you enjoy doing in a barrel break in, then do it. Good luck with the new rifle.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#10 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Load fire repeat. :lol: Have been fortunate to fire a lot of guns and never broke one in.

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

I would give just about anything to know where this shoot once, clean, shoot twice, clean again :lol: started in the first place. I somehow picture an ammo manufacturer CEO with stocks invested in a gun cleaner company rolling around in money laughing at all of us. I can't help but think of the words I just read on the other post about the .22 Hornet:

Don't believe everything you read...........

Ain't that the truth! Just shoot it!

#12 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Nice to see so many of you have the same break in procedure I do!

#13 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

load her up and let her rip.

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

I've only "broken in" one of my rifle barrels and the only reason I did it was because the manufacturer of that particular rifle uses Badger barrels and according to literature that came with the rifle Badger will only honor accuracy complaint warranties to those that do a break in as per their instructions. Would they ever be able to tell if a barrel was really broken in?.....probably not, but I figured it was the honest thing to do just in case I ever had to have it warrantied.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#15 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I must add to my above post that if it is a mil surplus rifle I take it completely apart and clean any cosmoline out of the total rifle including the stock. I soak bolts etc in solvent, blow them out then use brake clean spray and blow them out the some oil or Tri-Lube spray. Clean the barrel and lightly oil it. This is really important to clean any firearm with a floating firing pin such as a SKS.My first answer was for commercially made sporting firearms.

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Would they ever be able to tell if a barrel was really broken in?.....probably not, but I figured it was the honest thing to do just in case I ever had to have it warrantied.

Probably not?! It is metal, and a tool. It would be like having to use your brake (rotors) one time, then cleaning them. Then using them twice down the road, and then cleaning them. How in the world can one tell? And who made up how many times this process should be done anyway. Every piece of metal is different, so is every rifle then!. Makes for a nice write up, and makes a gun rag author sound like they know what they are doing though :roflmao3[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users