Photo

Anyone used Sierra .257 90 gr gameking HP?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Particularly on game?I saw Gameking, and then saw HP after got them home. Seem like maybe fine for varmints or where you aren't planning on getting teh meat, but not for anything else????

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Believe Gameking are Sierra's bullet design for game &/or deer & such. The blitzking are their "varmint" bullets. Their 39 gr blitzking is what I used in my 204 when I had it. While I am not a big fan of any of Sierra's bullets (or any hollow point), I probably would not hesitate to use that 90 gr bullet on deer, antelope or coyote if I had them. Nosler's 100 gr bullet is what I used in my 25-06 & 2, 257 Weatherby mags when I had those also. Good Luck

#3 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Thanks Frank - I have always traditionally loaded this (.250 Savage for a 99) with Speer 87 gr spitzer. I haven't ever used hollow points for game, but saw the gameking, and they didn't have the Speer, so saw these and a boat tail design and thought they might be worth trying. I read Sierra's schpiel, and don't really buy it - think more marketing than reality, but was hoping maybe somebody had experience with them. And found out that its B.C is actuall no better or worse than teh plain old Speer spitzer! Its an older model 99 - so a 1:14" twist, hard to get anything 100gr or heavier to stabilize. Love the rifle and the cartridge though, so will keep playing with sub-100gr bullets, even though I should just stick with the Speer 87gr... (What I got my last deer with! Regretfully that was decades ago.)Maybe work up a load and see if any of the Coyote hunters will let me tag along.Anyone else that has used them at all, any input would be greatly appreciated!

#4 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

game king are a very accurate "game" bullet. I am a total sierra fan, recently trying the 40 grain blitz in the 22-250. Very accurate on paper. They should work well for your application.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

A buddy and I have tried them in 25-06, .257 Roberts, .257 Roberts AI and for some reason we couldn't get them to shoot very well in any of our rifles. The faster we pushed them the bigger our groups got. It should bee a good deer bullet at .250 savage velocities. I've always wanted a 99 in .250 savage. Over at leverguns.com someone posted a link to Savages Facebook page and they were trying to see how many folks would be interested in buying a new 99 if they were to start producing them. I sure hope they do.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Great rifles, if a bit heavy particularly by todays standards. The .250 Savage is a great cartridge as well - I wish Savage would do their new light weight hunter in .250 svage - that would be an excellent rifle - especially for younger or smaller stature shooters.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

I would bet that they will offer it eventually. They offer it in the classic series and in the weather warrior series. I think that if Savage pushed it with the right advertising they could put the .250 back on the map with young hunters.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

Couldn't agree more! And also for us getting older hunters that would like a nice shooting mid-caliber that we can shoot all day and not have a sore shoulder. Just wish my 99 had the faster twist barrel. But then it wouldn't be as old as it is, and probably wouldn't have teh cool rotray magazine. so trade off.

#9 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

You mean like this Savage model 99 in 300 Savage with an old Weaver K-4 mounted on it. I love this rifle.Posted Image
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Over at leverguns.com someone posted a link to Savages Facebook page and they were trying to see how many folks would be interested in buying a new 99 if they were to start producing them.

:lol:

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

VERY nice rifle, Braz.... Those things ARE gorgeous.I've told this story before but will tell it again....Approx 22 or 23 years ago, we had just finished deer hunting in X-12 & was loading a 4 point buck my friend killed into the truck. As we were packing, a young man in his early 20's came up to me (probably 'cause I was the oldest in our group back then too / lol) & showed me his deer rifle & asked my opinion on it.The rifle appeared like Braz's above, only more used & older looking. A model 99 Savage in 250 cal. Anyway, this young man was VERY concerned about his rifle being "enough" deer gun, & by the expression on his face, I had somewhat of an idea as to why (he was so concerned). The rifle had been his grandfathers who had died fairly recently & that rifle meant EVERYTHING to him. I quickly assured him that his very fine rifle will be all he'll ever need to slay a deer with. You could see the relief & then big smile on his face. I went on to tell him that if he wanted to do anything, he could replace that steel tube that almost resembled a scope with a Leupold. I think I left for home more proud of my meeting and discussion with that young man than I did of our very nice 4 point buck in the back of our truck. docskinner, back in the early '70's I slayed a buck at a guess-ta-mated 125 yards with an 85 gr Nosler bullet. The deer dropped where he stood. I suspect a similar weight bullet in your Savage will work just fine. No faster twist needed IMO. You'll do fine :lol:

#12 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

You mean like this Savage model 99 in 300 Savage with an old Weaver K-4 mounted on it. I love this rifle.Posted Image

Close:Posted Image

#13 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

VERY nice rifle, Braz.... Those things ARE gorgeous.I've told this story before but will tell it again....Approx 22 or 23 years ago, we had just finished deer hunting in X-12 & was loading a 4 point buck my friend killed into the truck. As we were packing, a young man in his early 20's came up to me (probably 'cause I was the oldest in our group back then too / lol) & showed me his deer rifle & asked my opinion on it.The rifle appeared like Braz's above, only more used & older looking. A model 99 Savage in 250 cal. Anyway, this young man was VERY concerned about his rifle being "enough" deer gun, & by the expression on his face, I had somewhat of an idea as to why (he was so concerned).The rifle had been his grandfathers who had died fairly recently & that rifle meant EVERYTHING to him. I quickly assured him that his very fine rifle will be all he'll ever need to slay a deer with. You could see the relief & then big smile on his face. I went on to tell him that if he wanted to do anything, he could replace that steel tube that almost resembled a scope with a Leupold. I think I left for home more proud of my meeting and discussion with that young man than I did of our very nice 4 point buck in the back of our truck. docskinner, back in the early '70's I slayed a buck at a guess-ta-mated 125 yards with an 85 gr Nosler bullet. The deer dropped where he stood. I suspect a similar weight bullet in your Savage will work just fine. No faster twist needed IMO. You'll do fine :lol:

Great story! No worries about the 87gr speer really, I took my last deer at about 500 yards with one. Longer than I should have been shooting, but I was younger and dumber then.The twist worry is that I wouldn't mind doing some of the heavier bullets (over 100gr) in it, but those won't stabilize with the slow twist. Makes it a sub-100gr gun.

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

I think I left for home more proud of my meeting and discussion with that young man than I did of our very nice 4 point buck in the back of our truck.

You get one great big "Atta Boy" for that one. And I can just about imagine after taking a few deer with it, he still talks about the gentleman that steered him right, and how grateful he was to have spoken to him that day. Dang! I guess we gotta change how we think about you now :harhar1[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

I went on to tell him that if he wanted to do anything, he could replace that steel tube that almost resembled a scope with a Leupold.

OK, now that I've spit out my drink all over the screen................ :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users