#1 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting, Arm Wrestling, Camping and Cooking

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Here are a few scopes I'm looking at. What do you think? My budget for my scope is $450 max. What are some of your favorites? I know my budget isn't the best but it is by far more than anything I have now. What do you think is the best bang for my buck?. I'm open to any style really? How do these three compare together? I've read all the reviews but thought is ask you all. I'm not sure i want to go a full 50 mm but the millett looks pretty nice! http://swfa.com/Vort...ope-P13285.aspx http://swfa.com/Mill...cope-P8812.aspx http://swfa.com/Hawk...ope-P44554.aspx Carlos

#2 jeager

jeager

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

That Hawke has an excellent review on Optics TalkMidwayusa has an exclusive 5-15x44 Vortex at your price.I consider the 4-16 range as optimum for my requirements and am looking at Nikon Monarch.Don't know anything about Millett.

#3 Loopdog

Loopdog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting. Big Game Hunting and Upland Game

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

+1 for Vortex and Hawke I had a chance to visit with them both at the shot show this yr

#4 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

All my optics are Vortex with the exception of the Bushnell Elite on my Discovery. Wouldnt hesitate to get another, but I've read alot of great reviews on the Hawke optics also.

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Carlos, what are you using the scope for? If for predator work only, you are wayyyy over magnified. The magnification will be too high on a CLOSE coyote & the field of view & eye relief will suck comparatively speaking. Sure it can work, but not nearly as easily or as comfortable as say a 3x9x40. Even the 3 X on my 3x9 Zeiss is amazingly better than just my 4.5 X 14 Leupold for example.However, if for target, varmint & predator work then either the Vortex or Hawke would be my vote of the 3 you listed. I would still compare those 2 with some other brands in a comparable model. Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss to name just a few. Sometimes for just a few dollars more, you can get a much better product. As with most things!Good Luck

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

What Frank said if this is going to be a predator gun. 3X9 or 4X12 is al you would ever need and my favorite is a 2.5X8.

#7 STPilot

STPilot

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Jet Ski's, Photography... Oh and Shootin' Stuff!!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

I have 2 Hawkes, one on my Fx Royale PCP and the other on my Savage .17HMR. Im very happy with both, good fit and finish, good clear glass, smooth side focus and power adjustments. For the $$$ they're hard to beat, IMHO. Tim

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Frank's right. If these are for heavy barreled varmint rifles, you're on the right track. But these have too much magnification, length and weight for a sporter rifle in my view. For sporters, I prefer 4-12x40AO although 3-9x40 is very popular.I've never owned a Millett, but I've got two Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x44 mildots and they're great scopes for their price range. I have one on a Remington 700 VLSS .stainless 26" heavy barrel .204 Ruger and the other is on my Mountain Eagle .223 Remington varmint rifle with Sako action, 26" stainless steel fluted Krieger heavy barrel and HS Precision stock. They're a joy to use. The elevation and windage adjustments track reliably and repeatedly and because they've got side focus parallax adjustment, the objective bell housing is relatively small which allows you to mount it close to your barrel without using high rings. (I use Burrix Xtreme tactical bases and Burris Xtreme 30mm tactical low rings and they mount the Viper nice and low with plenty of clearance for the bolt throw.) The Vipers are made in the Philippines and they're well made. Plus, Vortex has a terrific warranty. The elevation turret also has a spring loaded zero stop adjustment. I think they have 60 MOA of total elevation adjustment, which isn't a lot but it's better than many high magnification variable scopes.As Desert Fox pointed out to me in a past post, the Vipers are about the quality of the Nikon Monarch and I agree. The glass is nice, and gives a very bright picture with nice contrast. The only criticism I have of the Viper is that its eye relief is a bit short and I wouldn't want to use it on a rifle with high recoil. Its eye relief is fine for use up to .308 though, and perfect on the .204 or .223. If you mount it on something larger than .308, make sure you have your rifle firmly settled hard into your shoulder and wear some protective shooting glasses in case it comes back and tags you.Until fairly recently, the Vortex Viper mildots were $399 but you could get them on Optics Planet for $358 shipped if you posted a product review and got their 10% off coupon. Now they retail almost everywhere for $429. CameralandNY has a special deal on the now discontinued 6.5-20x44 wide duplex scopes for only $279. I prefer mildots, but if you don't mind using duplex, that's a great price but order quick because they sell out fast. http://www.cameralan...texviper6-20x44I've heard good things about the Hawke Sidewinder but don't have experience with them. Red can tell you all about them.

#9 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

I have to agree with others. For varmint shooting you can get over powered very easily. I use a 3X9X40 on my .223 and it is more than adequate. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

#10 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

I have 3 Hawkes and will buy more....I get lot of glass for the money. I'm a varmint shooter. The 100 to 350 yard range is all I'm good for at the ranches I shoot. If you are a 600 yard guy I don't have the experience. If I have a target out that far I get in my little Element and drive 1/2 way there.....

#11 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

I know it's not on your list but I have never regretted buying a leupold. They hold zero even in my truck gun that gets bounced around the ranch all day. I have heard really good things about the vortex and seems like everyone on here loves the hawke. I will always buy leupold or zeiss.

#12 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for helping everyone!I'm really not going to be doing any long range shooting... great point! But I like the fact I can dial up the turrets if I want to try something 400+. 300yrds is always a possibility but I figure I don't need a 20x to go 200yrds farther than I can with my janky 770 package scope.... know what I mean? I sit on stand at 5x so this is just right. I'm hoping I can run up to sportsmans warehouse tomarrow afternoon, hopefully they have the scope in stock. I'm going to also look at the savage and tikkas and some others I'm sure...I called and they don't have the 700 in stock. No special orders either? So if I don't see anything I like, I'll head back down to wild sports, they do have the 700 varmint in stock, along with others as we all know. I'm going to SW first because they stock Vortex and WS does not. At the very least I'm going to order the viper online in the evening. Here it is http://swfa.com/Vort...ope-P11230.aspx

#13 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

Im confused. Is this for predators or Varmint? If yer thinking Varmint, to be used for Predators, I will let you tote my Savage 12 FV for a day, it may make you rethink things :rofl2:

#14 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

Good job on your (new) choice of scope! :good: ShooterJohn, the Leupold 2.5 x 8 is an AWESOME scope that I keep forgetting about. Funny too, as I've had one on my 300 mag for perhaps 30 (+/-) yrs now; hexx I don't know anymore (how long). LOLCarlos, keep those Remingtons on your shopping list. Friends and I could fill a closet full of one hole groups made with our Remingtons over the years. Some I've posted on the forum. There IS a reason why LEO agencys & Military use Remingtons. OH, & there are other models of Remingtons (VLS's etc) with smoother actions, as I believe Mike pointed out earlier. (if that's a concern)Tikkas? Made by Sako? Really? Looks like Mattel makes them? :rofl2: :drinks: With that said, DO go with the one that YOU like best. They're (almost) all good! CZ is another great one!P.S. It's ok, Grant, as Carlos "Works Out". :birth:

#15 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

He had better work out Frank... The 12 in 12 FFV is the weight.. lol

#16 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

:rofl2:

#17 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I despise wild sports by the way! I have never left there feeling like I got a deal or that I would ever return with my business. I have also never really liked the customer service in there either, the guy that works in fishing, bob I think, is a great help and a good guy. But the guys on the hunting side are terrible. That is all.

#18 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Just ordered my Viper 4x12! It's going on my new 700 VSF .223

#19 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

Excellent choice. It will go great with your VSF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users