Photo

Low priced tungsten BB, Condor Zone Coyote loads.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

I have posted information before on the Rem HD Ultimate Home Defense 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz BB loads that Bass Pro Shops is selling for $9.98 per box of ten. These shells are great coyote and goose loads for what they cost. Just the Tungsten shot for a 1-1/4 oz load is much more than what these loaded 1-1/4 oz shells cost per shell. The price of tungsten has gone up so much that most of the ammo manufacturers are getting out of the tungsten shot business.Right now the Hevi-Shot 3" Waterfowl "B" 1-1/2 oz loads are selling for $4.00 to $4.50 per shell.The 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz Rem HD loads loads are $1.00 per shell.So for just 1/4 oz less shot the shells are $3.00 cheaper per shell. It is cheaper to buy the Ren UHD Tunsten BB shells and take the shot out of them then to just buy tungsten shot for reloading tungsten shells.The price of Tungsten shot has gone WAY UP!If you bought ITX shot from BPI right now it would cost $1.43 for 1-1/4 oz load of shot.If you bought Hevi-Shot "B" shot right now to reload from BPI it would cost $2.55 per 1-1/4 oz load of shot.We shot and killed 14 coyotes with these loads this past season and only 2 of those coyotes needed to be shot twice and that was my poor shooting not the shells fault.http://www.basspro.c.../10215215/44043

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

I bought 4 boxes about a month ago for that price. Wish they had 20ga...

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

I have been reading all your posts about these rounds with great interest, and appreciate it. Your timing is pretty good again too as I am taking the young nephew up to Yo-Yo (Inyo) county for the week, and was thinking how I know he will ask to go calling. And while he can shoot a rifle just fine, calling in thicker brush with a shotgun would be a better idea given his squirming skills. I had handloaded some #4buck with less than spectacular results (need a better and "encapsulated" wad) so I am planning on heading by BPS and picking up a couple boxes so I can see how it patterns and hopefully how well it works. I only hope our shooting and calling skills can rival yours :rofl2: . We shall see. Thanks again.

#4 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Good luck Bisley!I can't think of another 2-3/4" load for coyotes that will work as good as these Rem HD UHD BB loads for recoil sensitive shooters.On the snow goose hunt we went on in January we had a 10 year old boy and a 11 year old boy both kill geese with these same loads.

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

I remember that post, or more specically, the smile on those kid's faces :D :good:And while I don't need lead-free in Yo-Yo county, the two kids we started teaching last year want to learn to predator hunt in the Kern and San Brenardino area where I will need the :) lead-free. I also didn't know they were lighter recoil, he will appreciate that I'm sure :lol: . If he is successful, I will put up some pics and I'm sure he will want to thak you personally. Well, off to BPS now, and Yo-Yo county tomorrow :D . Thanks again.

#6 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hey bob, for coyotes what choke do you use for load?

#7 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

I have been using a Carlson's IMP/MOD extended sporting clays choke for all of my coyote calling. The Rem HD shot and the Hevi-Shot pattern very tight so I like to use a little more open choke.Bisley, the only reason they are lighter recoil loads is because they have 1-1/4 oz of shot in them. The 12 ga 2-3/4" magnum 1-1/2 oz loads or the 3" 12 ga heavier loads kick much more because they have heavier shot charges in them.

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hey, Bob (Bisley), have a great vacation up north. Always love hearing you & your nephew going fishing & hunting together. You guys will have a lot of fun whether you catch or slay anything or not. Always do, right?!I know I dont need to mention this (but will anyhow / lol), but one person with a shotgun & the other with a rifle on a stand can be a good combination. Anyway, have fun and be SAFE

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

First off, thank you Frank and Bob (dabob) for the info, reminders, and kind words. Picked up a couple boxes yesterday and remember why I reload, so I don't have to deal with retail "counter-jockeys" B) . They were behind the counter, and when he asked if these were the ones I wanted as he pointed, I said yes if they are the tungsten/bronze buckshot. "Our store doesn't carry any buckshot that's not lead" was the reply I got. Apparently the label on the box is wrong, and he has never heard of Hevi-Shot :roflmao3[1]: . Oh, almost forgot, you need #00 for coyote you know, nothing else will do -_- . Now I remember why I hate to interact with the public.Anyway, the plan is to put the kid on the 1100 with the recent reaming for choke tubes while I back him up in the thicker stuff with the lever .357 and ghost ring sights. I was originally gonna put the kid on the lever gun, but after seeing him shoot a shotgun again last weekend, anything that moves (no matter how fast or how far) in front of him is money. Oh to have young eyes and be too new to overthink every shot again (S I G H). Last time out I found some new places I've never hunted up there that are pretty easy walking, so maybe pops can join the kid and I. I sure hope so, especially since he's the better shot :lol: . To tell you the truth, I'm a little nervous. As I have just loaded the hand calls (and electronic backup) I realize it's been at least a hand full of years since I've done this :huh: . I can find a great spot like nobody's business, I just hope I don't sound like a fart can calling after all these years. But I got 4 hours in the truck on the way up to practice I guess. Now, If only I could remember that distinctive sound when you flush a covey of coyotes.................As I remember, they are like chukar and prefer to run rather than fly................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users