#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

The first time I peered into one of these was about 22 years ago at a gunshow in Fairplex, Pomona. I remembered then how impressed I was at the clarity of the glass. The only thing that prevented me from buying it was the price. That's right! I was not about to porked out $350 dollars when I can get a Simmon Pro-50 for half the price.A few years ago Nikon decided to move their operation to the Philippines and start building the new generation Monarch. The Philippine made Monarchs are good scopes but can't compare with the Japanese made scope. I'm always on the look out for one eversince.Well, I finally found one. A gentleman from another forum has one for sale for $300 and that includes shipping. The scope is in excellent shape and comes with original box, a set of target knob and a Butler Creek cover. I mounted it on my 6.5-284 Norma and went to the range to re-zero the rifle.Here's the 3 shot group at 110 yards.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,232 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

Sweet looking rifle.I like the grain in that wood.

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Just a question? For that money why did you not just buy a Leupold? Do you think the one you have is better? OR?

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

A new Leupold in 6 X 18 or 6.5 X 20 would be in the $500.00 to $800.00 range.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

That is why the Leupold 6.5X20X40 AO I got for my 204 Savage rifle I got off ebay. Actually the last 20+ scopes I bought have been off ebay. All have been fine.

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Just a question? For that money why did you not just buy a Leupold? Do you think the one you have is better? OR?

This Nikon has better glass than a comparable Leupold scopes like the Vari-XIII.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Beautiful setup, and looks like it shoots as well as it looks. There's nothing quite as satisfying as finally getting something you wanted, even 22 years later.The gun show at the Fairplex??? Now your making me sad :sport037fn4: . I sure miss those days.I see WEGC still looks good too. Haven't been there since before bird season. Always love shooting there.

#8 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Bet that spotting scope is worth more than everything on the bench....Nice setup.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#9 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Beautiful setup, and looks like it shoots as well as it looks. There's nothing quite as satisfying as finally getting something you wanted, even 22 years later.The gun show at the Fairplex??? Now your making me sad :D . I sure miss those days.I see WEGC still looks good too. Haven't been there since before bird season. Always love shooting there.

Yeah Bis, You're not the only one who lamented the departure of the Great Western Gun show. Thanks to the stupid LA County Supervisors. Not only that they loss the revenue that the gun shows brings, they also wasted the taxpayers money to settle the lawsuit brought about by the Gun show operator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users