• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

what is the life expectancy for 22-250 and 243 cases?. i am full length sizing with my dies set about .002 off my chamber headspace. Curious how many loadings I will get before getting new brass.

#2 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

In my experience - it varies, particularly with how hot your loads are, but also by manufacturer, lot, etc.

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

Yup. Unfortunately, it's kind of like asking how many miles a motor should get. There are some semi-standards, but way too many variables for close figures. I have .38 brass that has been loaded literally dozens of times, and 06 brass pushing the dozen mark also. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, I loaded a wee bit heavy on the .243 once, and was able to push primers in by hand. Oops.The problem with giving a life span too is that many folks figure they are good up to that point and get lazy and only half-ass check their brass. Very bad habit! Especially with rifles. A much better question is "What flaws should I look for in my brass when reloading so I know when to toss it", because these flaws can rear their ugly head in a single shooting at times. So I would be more concerned with (loose) primer fit, cracked necks or shoulders, and severe rings or seperation at the base. I'm sure there are other things I am forgetting, but it's late, and I'm nursing a cold at the moment :rolleyes: . But hope that makes sense and helps a bit.

#4 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

thanks for the help.

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Now that you got your dies setup properly and are not creating excess head space you should be able to get a number of reloads out of your brass. As said, loose primer pockets are usually a good indicator they are ready for the trash. I usually end up splitting necks more than anything.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

I usually chuck bottle necked brass after the fifth loading. I only have one rifle that the brass doesn't last five loading.
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users