7 replies to this topic

#1 asquirrelsworstenemy

asquirrelsworstenemy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

If I were to purchase a six shot, .38 caliber speedloader for a Smith and Wesson revolver, would it work on any gun with those specs or are speedloaders model specific too? Thanks!
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways. -John WayneGod made man, Sam Colt made them equal.

#2 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

It might work, Taurus revolvers are usaly a pretty good fit for S&W. Some of the other not so close. If you are buying from a gunstore ask to try it first! DR

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

As inexpensive as the speed loaders are, Id reccomend buying the one made for your particular model. The ones that I purchased for the Redhawk had a # on it that fit a couple of other models as well however. Problem was, that when I put bigger/wider grips on the revolver, the speed loader wouldnt work anyway. Good luck.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

Check out Safariland. They make a lot of speedloaders. Folks hat shoot in my iCORE group using speedloaders, for the most part use safariland. they are probably the most popular. And as was said, you probably want th ones for your specific revolver.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

When I bought one for my model 29 it had 5 or 6 other models that it would fit you just have to read the cover.They are 11.00 at bass pro.

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

+1 for the Safariland ones. I like them the best. Just line up and push and you are done. No turning knobs etc. As far as grips. I had that problem with my Redhawk when I put the Pachmyer grips on it but alittle cutting/grinding and now I have no trouble with the speedloaders. The grips still work just fine.

#7 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Get the one for your particular model. You should be able to look it up online. Each speedloader usually works on a few different models. If you look at them at a gun store you can read the packaging and figure out the right one. I second the Safariland speedloader as being great. I carry one every day for my S&W 442. I originally purchased one Safariland and an HKS. I tried both and gave the HKS to my brother. I did not like turning the little knob. With the Safariland I just push it forward into the cylinder and it releases the cartridges. I carry it in my pocket and have never had it release the cartridges after three years of carrying it.Before I purchased, I read online though that the standard grip is a little large to use the safariland speedloader and had to file down the rubber grips a little. Not very much but enough to give it a little more room. I eventually changed out the rubber grips for a smaller set of Hogue grips that worked perfectly. They were also lighter than the stock uncle mike's boot grips.So check online what folks are saying about the different speedloaders and your particular model.Hope this helps.Speedloaders are great.

#8 asquirrelsworstenemy

asquirrelsworstenemy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for all the help!
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways. -John WayneGod made man, Sam Colt made them equal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users