• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

When I use IMR 4350 in my RCBS powder measure, I have a hard time getting the same charge every time. It feels like it almost like it cuts some of the powder. With H335, I get the same measure every time. Any ideas?Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#2 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

The reason it feels like you are cutting the IMR 4350 poder in half is because you are cutting the IMR 4350 powder in half. The H335 granules are so small you don't cut them and they flow and measure so much better than IMR 4350 does.I weigh and add or take away small amounts of powder on every powder charge to get the weights perfect. IMR 4350 is a little more work to get the powder charges right on the money.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

+1 On what Bob said. If you need perfect weights, a trickler will help. But unless the charges are wayy off, Id doubt that you would see any difference. JMO
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#4 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

I just ordered the RCBS trickler yesterday.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

When I use IMR 4350 in my RCBS powder measure, I have a hard time getting the same charge every time. It feels like it almost like it cuts some of the powder. With H335, I get the same measure every time. Any ideas?Tom

That's called cutting powder. Pretty common with a lot of the long grained powder. You can still throw pretty accurate loads with it though...but not as accurate as say H380, which goes like butter. Certain popular powders like 4831 come as 4831SC "short cut" as well. Same powder but with smaller granuals that go through a powder measure nicer.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#6 rpeterson243

rpeterson243

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

I have the same problem w/ h4895. I can usually get it just under a couple tenths everytime and then use my trickler.

#7 Recon

Recon

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Just made ammo for the first time today and I was pullin' my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't get reliable amounts of IMR 4064 thru my Hornady powder measure. I took it apart once and cleaned it completely, and that didn't help at all. It wasn't close enough for me to ever think I could just hold a cartridge under it and call it good. My amounts were off by as much as a grain sometimes. I'm a little relieved to see it's likely not a problem with my setup.

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Four words that will change your life: Digital Powder Scale Combos. God's gift to the reloading world :). Nuff said.

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

Unless the power goes out. then you need a backup plan. lol
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Wouldn't matter, couldn't see without the lights in that room anyway. And I damn sure ain't playing with powder near the open flame of a candle or lantern either :smiley-outta-here:Besides, power outages are omens from the hunting Gods saying "enough work, go hunt" :)

#11 bisley11

bisley11

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

+2 on the powder dispensor combo. Here I type all spoiled rotton since I purchased and started using the RCBS. Not even the latest version and still cuts loading time in half. While powder is dispensing seat bullet into charged cases. BTW the RCBS scale and dispensor is made by Pact Inc. Good deals can be found on EBay if you keep an eye out and are ready to jump on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users