#1 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

Last week I picked up my rifle I had built for shooting ground squirrels. It is a Remington 700 action, 223 Rem with a 24" Hart barrel with a 1-10" twist. There is a muzzle break on it that makes the barrel about 27" long. I put a Jewell Trigger on it and it has a H.S. Precision stock. This morning when I sighted it in the wind was swirling around and blowing a little harder than I wanted. The Jewell trigger is set at 1-3/4 lbs pull.The rifle shot some decent groups with some Nosler 40 gr Lead Free bullets that were loaded to 2.260" COAL.I cleaned the barrel and then shot a 5 shot group with some Hornady NTX Lead Free 35 gr bullets loaded with 27.5 gr of H335 and a 2.275 COAL.Posted ImageI am not much of a paper shooter but I was pretty happy with this 5 shot group that was shot at 100 yards with the wind swirling around.On my way home off the ranch the new rifle dispatched 28 squirrels.Now I need to reload some more shells with some different powder charges and not seat the 40 gr Noslers so deep.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#2 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

that looks good to me.!

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

Excellent group wtih the Hornady 35gr NTX, Bob. :roflmao3[1]: H335 has always been one of the best powders in the 223. Did you happen to reach 28 or 28.5 grs with that powder? Inquiring minds & all? Would also love to see how the 35gr Nosler shoots in your rifle. Not that it would matter I guess, considering your excellent results with the Hornady.Well, you already know what I think about your REMMY :) but I am also a HUGE fan of the H.S. Precision stocks, having owned / own several. Even with their bedding block, I still have mine glass bedded though & action trued. Just me is all! I also Love your Jewell trigger & pull weight, which is perfect IMO.Isn't it a riot on even how much less the 35gr bullet recoils & muzzle jumps than the 40gr bullet? I mean, I thought there wasn't any with a 40 gr to begin with, so I was really (pleasantly) surprised on how much less the 35 gr bullet was. I loved it & was cracking me up! I LOVE those 223's!OH, if you ever get a chance at a coyote with that 35gr bullet, I sure would love to hear the results of that too. Good or Bad! Anyway, Great write up, Bob, and Thanks for Sharing

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

Good shooting bob! Looks like it will be great for squirrels. Any thoughts about AI'ng it? Keep us posted on your results!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#5 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Excellent group wtih the Hornady 35gr NTX, Bob. :g-hog-poppin-up-ani: H335 has always been one of the best powders in the 223. Did you happen to reach 28 or 28.5 grs with that powder? Inquiring minds & all? Would also love to see how the 35gr Nosler shoots in your rifle. Not that it would matter I guess, considering your excellent results with the Hornady.Well, you already know what I think about your REMMY :D but I am also a HUGE fan of the H.S. Precision stocks, having owned / own several. Even with their bedding block, I still have mine glass bedded though & action trued. Just me is all! I also Love your Jewell trigger & pull weight, which is perfect IMO.Isn't it a riot on even how much less the 35gr bullet recoils & muzzle jumps than the 40gr bullet? I mean, I thought there wasn't any with a 40 gr to begin with, so I was really (pleasantly) surprised on how much less the 35 gr bullet was. I loved it & was cracking me up! I LOVE those 223's!OH, if you ever get a chance at a coyote with that 35gr bullet, I sure would love to hear the results of that too. Good or Bad! Anyway, Great write up, Bob, and Thanks for Sharing

Thank you for the great reply Frank!

Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users