#1 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

Last week I picked up my rifle I had built for shooting ground squirrels. It is a Remington 700 action, 223 Rem with a 24" Hart barrel with a 1-10" twist. There is a muzzle break on it that makes the barrel about 27" long. I put a Jewell Trigger on it and it has a H.S. Precision stock. This morning when I sighted it in the wind was swirling around and blowing a little harder than I wanted. The Jewell trigger is set at 1-3/4 lbs pull.The rifle shot some decent groups with some Nosler 40 gr Lead Free bullets that were loaded to 2.260" COAL.I cleaned the barrel and then shot a 5 shot group with some Hornady NTX Lead Free 35 gr bullets loaded with 27.5 gr of H335 and a 2.275 COAL.Posted ImageI am not much of a paper shooter but I was pretty happy with this 5 shot group that was shot at 100 yards with the wind swirling around.On my way home off the ranch the new rifle dispatched 28 squirrels.Now I need to reload some more shells with some different powder charges and not seat the 40 gr Noslers so deep.

#2 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

that looks good to me.!

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

Excellent group wtih the Hornady 35gr NTX, Bob. :roflmao3[1]: H335 has always been one of the best powders in the 223. Did you happen to reach 28 or 28.5 grs with that powder? Inquiring minds & all? Would also love to see how the 35gr Nosler shoots in your rifle. Not that it would matter I guess, considering your excellent results with the Hornady.Well, you already know what I think about your REMMY :) but I am also a HUGE fan of the H.S. Precision stocks, having owned / own several. Even with their bedding block, I still have mine glass bedded though & action trued. Just me is all! I also Love your Jewell trigger & pull weight, which is perfect IMO.Isn't it a riot on even how much less the 35gr bullet recoils & muzzle jumps than the 40gr bullet? I mean, I thought there wasn't any with a 40 gr to begin with, so I was really (pleasantly) surprised on how much less the 35 gr bullet was. I loved it & was cracking me up! I LOVE those 223's!OH, if you ever get a chance at a coyote with that 35gr bullet, I sure would love to hear the results of that too. Good or Bad! Anyway, Great write up, Bob, and Thanks for Sharing

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

Good shooting bob! Looks like it will be great for squirrels. Any thoughts about AI'ng it? Keep us posted on your results!

#5 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Excellent group wtih the Hornady 35gr NTX, Bob. :g-hog-poppin-up-ani: H335 has always been one of the best powders in the 223. Did you happen to reach 28 or 28.5 grs with that powder? Inquiring minds & all? Would also love to see how the 35gr Nosler shoots in your rifle. Not that it would matter I guess, considering your excellent results with the Hornady.Well, you already know what I think about your REMMY :D but I am also a HUGE fan of the H.S. Precision stocks, having owned / own several. Even with their bedding block, I still have mine glass bedded though & action trued. Just me is all! I also Love your Jewell trigger & pull weight, which is perfect IMO.Isn't it a riot on even how much less the 35gr bullet recoils & muzzle jumps than the 40gr bullet? I mean, I thought there wasn't any with a 40 gr to begin with, so I was really (pleasantly) surprised on how much less the 35 gr bullet was. I loved it & was cracking me up! I LOVE those 223's!OH, if you ever get a chance at a coyote with that 35gr bullet, I sure would love to hear the results of that too. Good or Bad! Anyway, Great write up, Bob, and Thanks for Sharing

Thank you for the great reply Frank!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users