• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

I tested & chronographed some 35 gr Nosler lead free bullets in my 22-250 & 223 today. Both Remingtons with 26" barrels at approx 58 degree temp at roughly 500 ft elevation. Not the best targets I've shot, but hey, not too bad either I figured. The 1st pic is with the 22-250 & 5 shot group at 100 yards with an average muzzle velocity of 4,530 fps. A friend had to put his eyes back in his sockets & wire his jaw shut upon seeing that. lol This is my best non lead load so far in my 250. I'd use it on coyotes, but just doesn't seem fair... to the coyote. lol (9 fps deveation btw). BTW, this is the ONLY non lead load I have ever gotten to work in at least 2, 22-250s. Mine is a 14" twist & likely why?! OH, & it hits approx 3" higher than my 50gr lead load. I am going to go to the 40gr lead bullet to see if it doesn't hit closer to the 35 gr. If so, then the 40gr lead would be my non Condor bullet / load.Attached File  250_35gr.jpg   13.63KB   2 downloadsThis 2nd pic is my 223, 35gr load with an average velocity of 3870 fps. Boring compared to my star wars 250. lol But I actually (almost) like it better. I LOVE this rifle/cal. 29 fps deveation on this one. AND it hits in the same spot as my Non Condor 40gr Nosler b.t. lead bullet. I'm in hog heaven with these two loads. This 35 gr load is actually more accurate AND more consistent than the 40gr non lead load I had been using in my 223. I will be trying the 35 grainers on coyotes in the fall. Also, the 223 seems consistently more accurate with the 35 gr bullet than the 250. I suspect due to the faster 12" twist?Attached File  223_35gr.jpg   62.32KB   3 downloadsI'm only showing this last Nosler 40gr Lead target as a comparison of my 223, between the 35gr non lead & 40 gr lead loads. They both hit in the same spot but with the 40gr lead "clustering" better & more consistently. I did not have time or ammo to test at 2 & 300 yds. Next time, and film at 11Attached File  223_40gr_ld.jpg   17.17KB   1 downloadsHope this may be of some help to someone...

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Looks like you got the 250 shootin frank! Quite well considering the non lead. Congrats!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#3 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

I am impressed Frank.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Nice tests, Frank. It's amazing those bullets don't disintegrate in flight at 4,500 fps. I'm sure the slower 1:14 twist helps. Will let you know how my VSSF .22-250 shoots when I get it. I won't run it as hot as yours, though. Going to try to extend barrel life. My Mountain Eagle .223 varmint rifle with 26" Krieger SS fluted barrel shoots the Barnes 36 grain Varmint Grenades with H335 27.0 at 3686 fps in .40" to.50" at 100 yards. But they have a tough time staying under 1 MOA at 300 yards because of the light weight and difficulty bucking wind. It really loves the 40 grain V-Max and consistently stays at about .40-.50 MOA out to 200 yards, with sometimes even better groups. Look forward to seeing how those 35 grainers work on coyotes. Should be pretty explosive. You'll have to post some pics.

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Will do, Mike, on the pics...Yeah, I don't plan on shooting very many of those 4500+ fps loads in my 250. What was that noise? Sounded like a bunch of folks falling off their chairs. LOL Anyway, I would be shocked if I ever shot more than just a couple dozen or so of those rounds through the 250. However?? lolI actually use my 223 exclusively in the Condor range, plus my 250 is not sighted in with the 35 gr non lead (yet). The only change I am currently making (as mentioned above) is using the 35gr bullet instead of the 40gr non lead in my 223 for the buzzard zone. I use both calibers outside the Condor range where I still like REAL (lead) bullets... so far! LOLThanks All for the responses

#6 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Frank;I do not have the experience or research that could compare with your magic...but for what's its worth...my 22-250 Nosler 40 grs hit at darn near the same spot as the 40 gr Lead Free Noslers (using 38 gr of H380)...Ignorance is bliss for this guy...maybe I'm in a dream thinking that they are close...please don't shake me! :rolleyes:

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

great shooting frank. And good velocity!! What powder were you using.? I tried to work up some 70 grain hornady soft points today (243)and didnt come up with anything good. I tried 8208, reloader15 and 4895, none of which showed me any promise. I did shoot some 69 grain berger that are real nice.

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

LOL... Too funny, & thanks for the kind words Rob! And no, I am actually impressed with you getting the 40gr non lead Noslers to shoot at all in a 250, much less to the same spot as the 40gr lead bullet. Very impressed, as I could not get the 40gr non lead to shoot well at all in my (14" twist) 22-250. You did good indeed! :rolleyes:

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

Eric, I was using a MAX load of 39.5 grs of IMR 8208 with the 35 gr non lead in my 22-250. My 14" twist makes this the only non lead bullet that my rifle likes... so far!My 223 regular MAX load is 28.5 gr of Benchmark with both the 40gr lead & non lead bullets, but did not have enough case capacity for Benchmark & the 35gr bullet (lol/true story). So I used another MAX load of 29.5 grs of TAC powder with the 35gr non lead bullet instead.My Nosler book shows a max load of 42 grs of Varget with a 70 gr bullet as most accurate with top velocity in a 243, and would be the load I would try & work up to with that bullet weight. Other powders I like "over-all" are RL19, h4350, h414 & IMR 4831. But hey?? Good Luck

#10 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

thanks Frank for the info. The 8208 is what I am using with my 22-250 and 40 grain bullets ,also in the 243 with 55 grain bullets. Very good accuracy and FAST. The Berger in the 22-250, a 55 grain bullet likes 4895. I need to get some 4350 or r-19 and give them a try.

#11 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:44 AM

Frank have you tried the Lead Free Hornady NTX 35 gr Boat Tail bullet yet?I am going out to shoot my new 223 Rem rifle this morning and I will be shooting the Nosler 40 gr Lead Free and the Hornady NTX 35 gr.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#12 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

That is impressive from what little I have seen with lead free bullets. Have you had a chance to see the terminal performance on critters with those 35 grain Noslers?

I'm an airgunholic

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Thanks, Eric... I do remember you using 8208 with the 40gr bullet in your 250 & is one of the loads I will be trying next in my 250 with the 40gr "lead" bullet. Your dialed in with both calibers, but the research never ends does it? We have (long?) breaks sometimes, but it's always back to the drawing board at some point. lolBob, I have not tried the Hornady 35gr non lead NTX's yet! My 12" twist 223 liked the Nosler 35gr lead free better than the Nosler 40gr lead free. It would also be interesting to compare the Noslers 35 gr lead free with Hornady's 35 gr NTX lead free, so hopefully one of these days soon. OH, if you think of it, would you pls remind me of your 223's twist when you post your range results. Thx!Brant, I have not yet shot any animals with the 35gr lead free stuff. Hopefully later this year however. Coyotes I have shot with any lead free bullet, have been with Nosler's 40gr which slayed them instantly; So far! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users