• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Well got my tax return back, and stopped in a gun shop I always used to go to. Was looking at pistols for CCW, they didn't have anything that interested me, but I did see a bare AR lower (well with a Mag and BB installed). Needless to say it was $160 so I bought it. Never owned a black rifle before, but figured I would buy it, nto sure why, I mean they burn through ammo way faster than my bolt action, but hey, it looks like fun. Its a DPMS, pick it up in 10 days...So my question is.. On uppers, does anybody build there own? Or is it best just to buy an assembled one?

#2 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

I think lots of both. They take some getting used to for a traditional non-AR shooter. If you don't have the tools, or for a first, I would say definitely get a built upper along the lines of what you think you want. I did that - got a Remington AR-25 (308/7.62 AR). Have learned a ton, particularly about what I would really like. If you don't have AR experience (Like I didn't), I would say buy and inexpensive upper along teh lines of what you think, and the plan on fine tuning to what you want it for later. Oh - One thing - as a bolt shooter primarily, I was always taught lowest scope mounts possible. ARs you need much higher!! Going t be moving from Burris High tactical to some very high rings as soon as possible.They are fun and addictive, though...

#3 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

AR15's are VERY EASY TO BUILD. When I built mine I just followed the directions on Larry Potterfield's AR15 dvd. It really is that easy. I built my lower and bought an assembled upper but trust me when I say it is VERY EASY to build an upper assembly. There will be some required tools you will have to buy. Personally either way will get you a good quality product.

#4 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Trucks,Firearms,Computers,Doberman Pinchers

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

Shop around for the upper. Lots of options. I think building the upper is pretty easy but as said above you do need some tooling. I just bought an M4 upper from Rifle Gear because I don't want to invest in the tooling to do one more upper.

#5 Droops

Droops

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Airguns

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Like the previous posters stated, ARs a very easy to build, I myself bought a Complete Upper, but bought a stripped lower. and all I needed to assemble the lower was some Duct tape (so you dont scratch the lower up) a couple of different diameter taps, a hammer and some patience.

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

A hammer and some patience? LOL, Most of the time I use a hammer when I have ran out of patience.

#7 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Trucks,Firearms,Computers,Doberman Pinchers

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Seriously ....the first one, Lower that is, I put together on the side of my bed while I was watching a movie. When I was done, I was sure I had forgotten something or left something out. I took it out to "A Place To Shoot". At the end of the day I still couldn't get over how easy it was. Just finished another one a couple of weeks ago. Again on the side of my bed.

#8 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

just watch you tube lots of videos on there and take your time.Im building a couple a week at the shop now so its about 20 minutes to put a complete gun together.I have a couple uppers I bought complete and 4 or 5 i built myself its just a matter of do you know the exact components you want or just have an idea.do your research and decide what you want it for and let that dictate what route you take.and having the right tools helps a lot

#9 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

So.. A little over 6 months later, finally finished.. well almost... still need to get some sights on there....

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

I really like the handguard, what is it?

#11 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

I really like the handguard, what is it?

Rainier Arms 11"... Samson Mfg makes it for them, ultra-lite, free floated, and uses the OEM barrel nut...

#12 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Very cool! I just built an upper and used a JP tube, which I like a lot! The one you got there looks handy, and uncluttered. Many of the handguards, to me, have too much going on, if that makes sense.

#13 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

AR's are so easy to build, work on and maintain. Its not even funny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users