17 replies to this topic

#1 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

I was cleaning out the tack room at work since it been raining all week and found a whole bunch of old farrier rasps, I've been thinking about trying to make my own knife out of the rasps that I found just curious if anyone here has ever tried it and if it's worth the effort.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,500 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

I used to make knives from older files and rasps. You will need to anneal the rasp first by heating it to a non magnetic heat and then burying it in ash works okay. Leave it there until cool and then you can work the steel by filing or grinding to the shape you want. Then it's a matter of hardening and tempering the blade. There are instructions on the web. You can find youtube videos that will give you a better idea of the work involved.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:23 AM

Can't you make them out of used circular saw blades to I found a few in the shop as well.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,500 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

You really need to find old blades as the new stuff only have a harded rim where the teeth are. The same thing goes for files and rasps too. The older Nicholson files are by far the better ones to use. Saw blades that work well are the old two man bucking saw blades and large lumber making blades both circular and band saws from a commercial operation.

Time waits for no one--

#5 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

I have made some out of hacksaw blades, The shorter one, I made about 20 years ago. I have used it to cut deer, and pig bones. It is usefull to cut wood, or metal. The longer one, I made about a month ago. It was made to filet large sturgeon.Both will hold a razor sharp edge.Tom

Attached Files

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#6 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

I have been watching videos and reading articles on making knives all night seems like it ought to be fun. I'll prolly start making it on Monday I'll post pictures.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,500 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

It is fun and can be addicting. Just be careful with the hot metal if you aren't used to working with it. It only takes one mistake to leave a lasting impression of grabbing something red hot. Also use tongs be careful when quenching hot steel in oil as it can really flare up depending on the oil used.

Time waits for no one--

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

My father used to make them out of old metal stakes, the kind you use for framing concrete. We had lots of them around and he usually liked to make them with a wider blade. Plus they were exceptionally easy to work with before heat treated. This is the one he made for me on a birthday one year. Posted Image

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

That is really nice bisley that knife right there took time and skill.

#10 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

I think it's awesome turning junk into treasure

#11 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

I knew a friend while in the Army who had a combat style knife made from a lawn mower blade. It was hefty and literally as sharp as a razor. It could chop and cut like nothing I had ever saw and was easy to re-hone to a fine edge. It put my Randall to shame, but I did love that knife as well. Very nice work by your dad Bisely :o

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Thank you all, it definitely is something I will treasure to the grave. He absolutely blew me away when he showed me the metal stake he started with :o . I was so busy on a reloading press at that age when he made knives that I never learned myself. That thud you hear is a big kick from myself in my own butt. But I do remember he always stressed slow speed machines with next to no heat when making anything, especially on the metal. Patience is a virtue, and apparently I have no virtues at times :D . Oh, almost forgot, one thing I did learn over the years with that knife was that since most knives made at home have no finish on them, just a polished steel, you need to look at them regularly and make sure they don't start to tarnish. A simple car polish (or very light compound if too late) will keep them looking like new. Good luck to all of you. I sure wish I had your guys' patience and talents. I'm a rough grade former Iron Worker, not a Finish Carpenter :D

#13 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Did you ever get any work in on it? Also do you think an old shovel head would be good steel source? I kinda like the thinner steel and dont have any old files. Don't know exactly what steel is in it though.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,500 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Do a spark test on the old shovel head. High carbon steel makes a branching spark pattern when held to a grinding wheel. Low carbon steel has a very straight spark pattern. I have some old shovels that are very high carbon steel and look like sparklers when I sharpen them on a grinder. They should work great.

Time waits for no one--

#15 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

I haven't started on em yet I have been fishing a lot after work and gold panning a little bit as soon as we move the cows next month I'll prolly start on it

#16 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Do a spark test on the old shovel head. High carbon steel makes a branching spark pattern when held to a grinding wheel. Low carbon steel has a very straight spark pattern. I have some old shovels that are very high carbon steel and look like sparklers when I sharpen them on a grinder. They should work great.

What outdoorsy thing DON'T you know about? :-D Should start a new version of teh Foxfire books with your wisdom. I am not a bad writer if you need a partner...

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,500 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

I've been making knives and have been a blacksmith for decades.

Time waits for no one--

#18 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

I agree with doc you should write a book your a wealth of knowledge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users