• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

I figured, at over 4,000 fps of velocity, in a fast 10 twist barrel, the rotational torque imparted on the bullet at such a high RPM would render it so inaccurate and worst, probably would blow-up before it get to the target.

I had the exact opposite results from the very first get go with 58gr V-max's in my first .243. It was an H&R single shot, and from the first loads with Varget or H4895 it was a one hole clover leaf shooter (at 100 yards). That gun accounted for more rabbits in a couple of years than all the coyotes in the world. The action eventually failed though (opened after firing) and was sent in and they fixed the action and replaced the barrel despite my begging them not to. The new one shot well, albeit not as well as the original, but still MOA. Plus, by then I had already replaced it with my Howa. The Howa also shot the 58gr pills well, but I had decided to load it heavier for deer, pig, and the occasional coyote. That was before the lead ban, and I have since moved back down to 60gr Sierra HP's (just for small game), and they are like rocket sleds on rails. Straight, fast, and true.Heavy bullets have their place (deer, pig, etc.), but I have found that small for caliber bullets have their place too, when used correctly. The speed really shine on running rabbits, where the least amount of lead you need the better. And I gladly trade the less lead for the extra couple hundred FPE, as I have never needed 800 FPE or more to kill a little rabbit or a 40lb coyotes :) .

#32 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Caught in a bind. I recieved my Hornady 87 gr v max. Now I am having a real hard time find any load data. I have checked Hornady, speers, and Hogden. I just can't find any load data for the 87 gr v max for a243 win. useing IMR4350Any ideas?Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#33 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Any ideas?

I told you already... send 'em back for the 55 grainers. You're killing me! :roflmao3[1]: Ok, fine... Let me go take an aspirin, sleep a little, think about this, and come back. Hopefully! :pot:

#34 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Caught in a bind. I recieved my Hornady 87 gr v max. Now I am having a real hard time find any load data. I have checked Hornady, speers, and Hogden. I just can't find any load data for the 87 gr v max for a243 win. useing IMR4350Any ideas?Tom

Tom according to My Nosler book, they show a starting weight of 39.5 up to 43.5 for 85-90 gr bullets. It also showed that in their rifle the starting load was more accurate. Im sure you would be safe with the starting load. This is for their Baliistic tip bullet that is pretty compatible with The V Max.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#35 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

My Ruger tang safety M77 in 6mmRem tries to put the 55gr Noslers into the same hole. The ones that do not are real close(like almost touching) and that is because of an old shooter with a 3X9 scope. Of course this 6mmRem rifle also does about the same with all other varmit and hunting bullets I have tried including 100gr ones. I do not shoot target bullets at all.

#36 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Grant, and Doug.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#37 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

The Nosler reloading manual is hands down my favorite reloading source, with Hodgdon website being a close 2nd for me. With that said, it appears that a MAX charge of 44.5 grs of IMR 4831 was the most accurate powder & one of the highest velocities obtained with the 85-90 gr bullets in their test rifles. That of course may, or may not mean anything for your rifle. I know I don't need to say start below max, but will anyhow. lolAs I mentioned earlier above, I am pretty sure that IMR 4831 was one of, if not my favorite powder when I had my 243 many years ago. I also remember doing a fair amout of shooting with bullets from 85-105 grains. So, with all that said, IMR 4831 would definitely be one of the (first) powders that I would be testing with that bullet and caliber.Good Luck

#38 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

You will be perfectly safe using the 90gr load data from Hodgdon's website. Since the 87gr bullets are lighter (albeit only slightly) they will actually handle just a hair more powder than the 90gr bullets. So even a max load from the 90gr data will not quite be a max load for the 87gr. But always work up to it, obviously.

#39 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Ive had execellent results with the 87 gr vmax to the tune of 6 outta six DRT from 80 yds to 319 yds. they have a high BC and have great knock down power on coyotes.With the exception of the last one I shot the rest were with the 87 gr. vmax.105 amax a good one as well coyotes dont like either one thats for sure.
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#40 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

You can also go to 6mmBR.com and find some reloading data for the 243
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users