36 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

I finally own a 44 mag revolver.This one is in awesome shape it's a Smith and Wesson 29-5 mod classic.So I will be needing some reloading info in a few weeks .Right now I am shopping for a rear sight this revolver came with a base ring set up and no sight.I found one on midway fro 53.00 not bad.Also looking for some bulk plinking ammo so if you have a good link to a site post it here.Posted Image

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Nice revolver. My favorite as a matter of fact I have three of them. Two open sights and one with a scope. Your Gonna like it.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Welcome to the club and congratulations on finally stepping up to a mans gun Johnny. :good: :good:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

I bet yer gonna love it. You may want to try some cast bullets for cheap plinking. 10 gr Unique and a 240 SWC makes for fun shooting. Missouri Bullets, $46 per 500. They shoot well from My Ruger. Good luck and congrats!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

That's a beauty John! Welcome to the 44 Club.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Doug (Divernhunter) hooked me up with a few boxes of reloads for now.Onery I will look into those that sounds like a good price do you have a link to it?

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Nope! :birth: http://www.missourib...?...2&keywords=Other vendors carry them too, but I ordered from the source. They really shoot pretty well.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

Congrats. I've had a 29-2 for (too many) years and love it, it is my "go-to" gun. I would highly, highly recommend reloading .44 special class rounds (in mag cases) for everyday shooting. Magnum rounds have their place (medium-large game), but there is little a .44spcl won't do and without the undo stress on the wrist, gun, or pocketbook. A good 240 LSWC and a small dose of fast burning pistol powder like Unique or Bullseye is very hard to beat, and very easy to shoot. I prefer Bullseye (5.5-6.0grs) only because it uses half as much powder (I'm cheap) and Unique used to be a very dirty powder. They have "cleaned up" Unique's blend since then so it's really not a bad powder to use, and it can a little more forgiving for weight error since Bullseye has more "power per grain". But especially with half the powder (Bullseye), I can reload .44spcl for as cheap, or pennies more expensive, than .38spcls and for way less than .357's, with more performance (at least to me) out of the .44spcls than either the .38's or .357's.Sorry, but I can't help you with looking for cheap loaded ammo as I reload for everything except rimfires. I would strongly suggest reloading for this gun as soon as possible though since you would not believe the savings you will achieve. Good luck and happy :birth:

#9 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

I agree with Bisley, reloading isthe way to go. That said, if you insist on buying, I think USAAmmo is about the best price around. http://www.usaammo.com/
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#10 hoghead

hoghead

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:hog hunting with dogs
    coyote hunting
    coaching football and baseball

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

I have the 44 dies if you want to borrow them I'm not going to reload until we move in to our new house they are just sitting in my garage.

#11 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

Unique is still dirty although it may be cleaner than before. H110 with full house loads are really cool. 14" flames protruding from the barrel are pretty cool. Play with the loads. but 700 rounds from a lb of Unique is pretty cost effective. See what works in your revolver.

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

I plan on reloading I am looking for my supplies and trying to decide what powder to get etc.Don't worry I don't plan on shooting full power loads all the time lol.I will probably use what ever powder I can find locally.Thanks for the offer Tom.

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

Congrats on your very fine purchase, Shoot-it. I've had that exact same revolver/cal ever since they first came out with it (whenever that was). LOL I always check Midway for ammo... factory or handloading componentsYou did Good :birth:

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Graf & Sons for reloading supplies also, their shipping is much cheaper ($4.95 I believe for any order) than Midway, they just don't have near as much of a selection though, but decent none the less:https://www.grafs.com/retail/

#15 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

A couple of weeks ago I watched Grant shoot Bullseyes at 100 yards with his 44 mag. I shot the same gun, the same load, and was hitting three feet below the target. Next time, I will bring my Colt Anaconda, I know I can shoot mine better than that.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#16 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Yep...love my 44 mag. Alot of fun to shoot.As already said, if your going to reload you can make up some real docile loads to practice with. Or if not reloading, you can order some 44 Special loads as well.I like Bullseye and Unique for my light loads with a 240gr hard cast w/c. I find Unique a little better and maybe a bit safer since it fills the case more. Bullseye works very well also but as said only requires about half the amount...much easier to accidently throw a hot load.For my big boomers I like H110 or a stout load of 2400. Elmer Keith used to load up a 250gr SWC over about 22.0g of 2400...BOOM!!! That one will bruise your hands.Want to have some fun? Load up a few stout H110 loads and let your buddy shoot it. Leave the 3rd or 4th cylinder empty. Sometimes you can almost get a full backflip from the flinch...hehe.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

Elmer Keith used to load up a 250gr SWC over about 22.0g of 2400...BOOM!!! That one will bruise your hands.

That is what I shoot to hunt with using my hand cast 250gr Keith semi wadcutters. As Ed says it does go B O O M !!!

Time waits for no one--

#18 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

that makes my hand hurt thinking about it! I was in a store this morning and a guy bought a 460 s and w . I think it weighed more than my rifle.

#19 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Went to radio shack yesterday and found a 3 volt battery for the tasco red dot that came with the pistol.It's better than nothing tell I get a rear sight for it.Posted Image

#20 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

thats a nice looking gun.

#21 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

Could you post a couple of detailed pics of the rear sight mount? I have a few old pistol sights in the garage. If one should happen to fit..... DR

#22 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

looks like this one. http://www.midwayusa...ine-k-l-n-frameI sighted in the red dot yesterday in the break of the rain it's fun to shoot.I was hitting metal plates at 35 yards with mild 44 special loads.When to bass pro today and bought some unique powder and a speed loader.

#23 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

My load is 18gr 2400 under a 245gr plain based Keith bullet that I cast water dropped. It's quite enough for me - and thats in a custom redhawk with a heavy 10" barrel! I cant imagine 22 grains of 2400 in a light barreled revolver.... Ouch.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#24 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

For a long time I have shot 23 grains of 2400 behind a 240 grain swaged bullet. This is in a Ruger SuperBlackhawk Old Model three screw.

#25 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

I think Ive found one thats corect, It has the rounded front.You may need to change the sight blade for the corect hight and I have not found yet the piece that the elevator rides on. I cant rember if its a ball and spring or a rounded stud, but thats what gives the elevator its click adjustments. If you know what the elevator piece looks like It may help me find it! DR

#26 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

For a long time I have shot 23 grains of 2400 behind a 240 grain swaged bullet. This is in a Ruger SuperBlackhawk Old Model three screw.

I saw some 2400 at bass pro to but decided on trying just one powder for now.Just slowly getting my stuff together I love shooting this thing it might be my favorite firearm pretty soon.Here is a side view it's not very traditional but oh well still fun to shoot...... :) Posted Image

#27 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it becomes your new "go-to" gun. Kind of hard not to love one that can be loaded for from rabbits to bear. And I've noticed that mine (and most I know that own a .44) seem to shoot both types of loads to the same POI, or at least very close.I noticed you mentioned just using the one powder for now, but you do know that you can use Unique for magnum loads also, right? You won't get the higher speeds of the slower burning powders like 2400, but you will get very decent magnum loads out of Unique none the less. Just a thought, in case you wanted to play around a bit with stuff currently on hand without having to spend any extra money.

#28 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

I ran out to the range and shot some metal target's I made.I made a video of me free handing it at 25 yards.This is only my second time shooting so don't be to hard on me lol.Thanks for the tips guys!click on itPosted Image

#29 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Nice guns - if you can't find a good Model 57. :)

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

You mean they still make .41 magnums? :smiley_green_with_envy:

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users