9 replies to this topic

#1 stallion51

stallion51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

I'm building my first AR. I've already purchased a S&W lower and I'm trying to get ahold of RRA to order a 20" predator pursuit upper but their phone line has been busy all morning. Is this common? One of the options is to bead blast the barrel. I'm assuming they do this to reduce the glare from the stainless steel to make it less visible to yotes. I would think that would be important but for $35 I want to make sure its necessary. Also they offer a chromed bolt carrier group upgrade for free. I've never even fired an AR so I'm not sure what they are talking about. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

I had mine bead blasted and added the chrome BCG. The chroming marginally helps you to keep your gun clean, add it, it's free. I like having my barrel bead blasted a) it's a bit different than everyone else's, and b ) it's one less thing that won't be shiny.

#3 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

I have a RRA upper like the one you want and I love it. The matte finish after bead blasting looks better and is less reflective. You need a good trigger to take advantage of the upper. I changed from a mil-spec trigger in my Stag lower to an RRA 2 stage and it made a world of difference. Not as good as a Timney but for the price difference I'm very happy with it.

#4 stallion51

stallion51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

cool thanks. I'll probably shoot it once before i put a different trigger in it :good:

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

The Timney hurts a bit when you reach into your wallet but is a very nice addition to your AR.

#6 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

I also have the Predator Pursuit 20" upper, with bead blasted barrel, and RRA 2-stage trigger. I didn't get the chrome bolt carrier. Don't like shiny stuff, and I use WD-40 and air to clean it- doesn't get much faster/easier than that.Great upper! Don't know if I got lucky or what, but mine was shooting tight groups without any break-in whatsoever.First time I took it out hunting, I got a coyote. Lucky gun, for sure.I got mine from PKFirearms. He had one on the shelf- great customer service, fast shipping, and the best price. I had my upper within a week of ordering. If you order from RRA, you might be waiting quite a while...I wouldn't wait- I'd just get the 2-stage trigger right away. You're going to buy it anyways, so might as well save money and get the one you'll end up with from the start. The RRA 2-stage really is a reasonably priced crisp trigger, and works great.

#7 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

You didn't get lucky for two reasons.
1. Rock River Arms shoot that good.
2. Barrel brake in isn't really required with modern rifles.

#8 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

Posted Image
This is not a very good picture of my RRA PP Upper. I just slapped a Krylon camo paint job on my rifle. I also put a Timney 3 lb drop in trigger in my lower.

#9 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Like BCF, I also ordered mine from PKfirearms. It came at a good price, reasonably fast shipping and I didn't have to wait for weeks or months ordering directly from RRA. I would go that route if I were you.

#10 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

the JARD triggers are a good addition to an AR we have had a lot of good luck with them and installed close to 50 of the so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users