• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

ordered a set of sig dies tonight. Scrounged up some of my brass from my pistol range. also got a can of "one shot" to try, as most things I have read say to lube the sig cases with All dies. Also ordered a set of headspace gauges, as the sig is spaced off the shoulder of the case. the overall length could be correct ,but the shoulder not bumped back. i want to load the 90 grain bullets , and going to load minimum loads to see how things go. any advice I am all ears.Thanks..

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

All tapered cases (rifle or pistol) need to be lubed when sized. The only time you can get away without lube is with carbide dies, and they don't make those for tapered cases. Well, at least not that any of us can afford :nice_need_pics: . It does not hurt to lube cases with carbide dies, but is not absolutely necessary. Over 20 years on the .357 mag carbide dies, and 10 years on the .44 and .40 carbide dies with no lube, and tens of thousands of rounds loaded and they are still going like new. Just make sure you don't have any cleaning media or dirt on the case so you don't scratch the die.With those small cases you are using though I would recommend using a spray lube. Trying to lube those by hand will be real fun. You might try taking a small piece of wood with some finishing nails or something in it and set the cases on them upside down to help you spray a bunch of them at a time, that way you make sure you get the entire sides of the case sprayed along with the base, where they really tend to get stuck. Best of luck.

#3 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

i read of a method that you spray the lube in a zip loc bag, then put the cases in and shake around.?

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

That will work just fine also, I just prefer an aerosol to a liquid. It is much cleaner, the aerosol dries in seconds with nothing sticky on your hands, and most importantly to me is the fact that none of the oily lube gets inside the actual case itself with that method. But, again, this is personal preference, and either way will work just fine for you. Just be sure to lube them (any method) when not using carbide dies.

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Here is how I lube cases and it is less work. Being lazy I like it and have always done it this way. I place the brass flat in a shallow cardboard box or better yet a metal baking dish then spray them. Give them a shake and spray once more and you are ready to size. The nice thing about the metal dish is that extra spray stays there and helps for the next batch when using RCBS spray. I use the RCBS spray on all of my bottlenecked brass including the 50bmg with no troubles. I had trouble with Hornady one shot. I have a bottle of Dillon spray but have not tried it.

#6 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

well i loaded up a batch of 20. Quite a challange setting up the dies correctly. the gauge that Ed reccomended is an absolute must!to get that shoulder in a correct spot. I over crimped a few setting up the crimp. the RCBS spray lube worked great. the hornady dies seem to be real nice. Ed if your following this, that custom ammo that I bought has the shoulder set back about.025. I set mine back.003 (according to the gauge)Posted Image

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

There ya go :roflmao3[1]: . We will be expecting a range report next :014:

#8 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

They shoot great! I put on the welding gloves and helmet... just kidding. They shot very good groups actually. Minimum load of 7.0 grains of universal with a 90 grain Hornady. Very comfortable to shoot. They cycled fine and no bullet setback. I am happy, as it was very hard to find ammo for it and when you did it was pricey.

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

They shoot great! I put on the welding gloves and helmet... just kidding.

:signlol2iu: I always preferred the one hand up high (left hand of course so I could still shot with the right just in case) and duck down below the bed of he truck :signlol2iu: Don't you just love it when they shoot good right out the gate? :D Now not only will it be cheaper to shoot, and you can choose what bullet you want instead of the factory, but just wait until the first rabbit or ground squirrel with you own loads. Have fun :good:

#10 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

I feel like an arrowhead hunter. I am going around to all my pistol target areas and scrounging brass.I found some kinda black but will see if they polish out.

#11 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:34 AM

That's great Eric, sounds like you got it down!I guess I misunderstood your -.03" shoulder deal...what I was referring to was for a reloader to set back a shoulder .030". Maybe it could be done?...but I don't think it would result in a nice looking case. It is common for new brass to measure pretty small...they like slop so it fits into most anything...although .030 is alot. When you wildcat stuff and reduce one down it's pretty common to have some setback shoulders till you fireform it.

#12 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

I want to thank you all for helping to reload. Couldnt have done it on my own.Eric..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users