Photo

How do I identify what type of choke my barrel has?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rendition

Rendition

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Rockabilly Music, Some Country Music, Modern Punk &amp; Alternative.<br /><br />Hiking/Backpacking, Land Survival, Hunting, Shooting

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Remington 870 Express Synthetic with 18.5 BarrelIm trying to find out what type of choke the barrel has, its not threaded and the marking on the barrel just says CYL. But is this improved or open choke?I want to shoot slugs, how do I identify what type of choke this is?

#2 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

It means "Cylinder". Basically, no choke. It's good for slugs.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#3 Rendition

Rendition

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Rockabilly Music, Some Country Music, Modern Punk &amp; Alternative.<br /><br />Hiking/Backpacking, Land Survival, Hunting, Shooting

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Great! thanks alot!What type of game can be taken with a 12 Gauge up to 3" shells? Can someone direct me to a shot/animal list for 12 Gauges?Thank you again

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

That barrel won't be much good for hunting. You really want to have some choke. The only thing I could see it being used for is close flushed birds like quail but you'll have to be quick because they will get out of your effective range in a hurry. Do yourself a favor and buy a field length barrel for it from cabelas in a "26 or "28 length. You'll be set for any and all types of bird/clay shooting and the shorty can be used for home defence.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#5 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

You can shoot any type of 12ga ammo through it. Bird shot, Buck shot, and Slugs. Your effective range will be less than a barrel with a choke in some situations though. You can hunt Big-game with slugs (Deer, Bear, Pigs). Probably limited to about 50-75yds depending how you shoot.Coyotes with buck shotBirds and rabbits with bird shotMy boss has a nice barrel for an 870 that he is selling. 28" wingmaster barrel, threaded for chokes. I think it has a full choke in it.
Hic Ego Statio

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:00 AM

You can shoot any type of 12ga ammo through it........

Not quite. Do not use 3.5 inch shells, and make sure your gun has a magnum barrel and receiver before using 3 inch shells.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

Didnt think I needed to mention that because he already stated he has a 3" chamber and asked what he can shoot up to 3" shells
Hic Ego Statio

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

Yeah, the 3.5 is kind of a no brainer but since he said he had an express and not an express magnum so I just wanted to make sure he had a magnum receiver. Most all of the short 870 barrels have 3 inch chambers but the receiver has to be capable as well.

#9 marinesniper1972

marinesniper1972

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

if you don't have a choke wrench use a quarter it should come right out  if it don't  you will need to take it to a gunsmith also all 870 express are chambered to  3 inch  if you put a cyl choke in it will shoot slugs  all day long

#10 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

Cylinder is one of my favorite chokes, or lack there of, to hunt quail with. A quail hunter could do a lot worse on chokes than a cylinder but not much better. Shoot the gun on a pattern board and learn your gun's capabilities. A lot of people think tighter is better for taking all types of game. It just ain't so. That cylinder choke will put more game in your bag than a full choke. With the new law for non-fiction shot coming, steel shot will shoot like an Improved Cylinder or tighter out of that barrel. Its common for less experienced hunters to get a full choke gun and think nothing of going quail hunting. But a cylinder bore is much closer to ideal for quail.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#11 Ghost2

Ghost2

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

interesting discussion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users