8 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Anyone using the CCI 22LR lead free rounds, Almost every one jammed in my Marlin 795. The gun is clean and always works great with Winchester rounds ( Wall Mart, 555 box ) No more CCI for me. What other brands are you using?Thanks

#2 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

The only other brand I know of is Winchester tin. these are solid tin bullits at about 1900 fps. not target accuracy but OK. and they dont expand either. I havent tried them in a semi auto but from my bolt gun they shoot OK. much higher point of impact tho.Heres some targets I shot a while bach testing them against some bulk ammo. I made no sight changes so you can see how much higher the point of impact was.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageThey also do not expand so unless you hit bone there will be an icepick hole in and out. and on body shots you dont hear that thunk that tells you that you have conected well. DR

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

I had the same experience hunting ground squirrels with it, DR. The Winchester tin .22LR didn't expand well and just ice picked small holes through and through. I shot one ground squirrel 5 times and it was still crawling off. I'll never use it again.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Thanks again Barnes!
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#5 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

I had the same experience hunting ground squirrels with it, DR. The Winchester tin .22LR didn't expand well and just ice picked small holes through and through. I shot one ground squirrel 5 times and it was still crawling off. I'll never use it again.

When I use these I try for head, spine, or shoulder shots. If I break the shoulder, the bones turn into projectiles and stop the crawl aways. I have to limit my shots to 70yds. These are not much fun to use. But I have a Bird Biologist living accross the street Who has ask several times what ammo I use. :signs1180lq: My house is in the lead ban area, but its only a short drive to get out! DR

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

There is something about a 40 Gr Vmax at about 3700 making contact with a groun :signs1180lq: d squirrel that prevents most crawl offs.. Got Lead?
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#7 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Love V-Max. But if .223 Rem isn't an option, I much prefer hunting ground squirrels with a .22 WMR. The CCI TNT Green work well and are accurate. 17 HMR is good, too. But .22 WMR delivers a better hit within 100 yards. My Marlin 982vs .22WMR rodent reduction system with Bushnell 3200 Elite 5-15x40 mildotPosted Image

#8 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

My lead free choice is 17M2. At .16 cents a round for lead free its hard to beat. its fairly quiet, accurate, and the NTX bullits are as good as the Vmax on squirrels. DR

#9 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

In my experience the winchester stuff also ricochets like crazy. Kinda dangerous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users