2 replies to this topic

#1 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

I just got back from testing/sighting in my new to me Rem 700 in 30-06, picked this gun up fairly cheap via a PPT and after cleaning it (doesn't look like it was ever fired) I think I made out like a bandit. Anyway I took it out today and put close to 60 rounds through it to check the functions, sight in the scope (an old Kmart 4x) and see well it holds zero. The scope is going to get changed out eventually but right now I'm thinking about getting some type of recoil pad for it. My shoulder is a little sore now and I'm sure shooting a ton of 7.62X54r last weekend had nothing to do with it lol. I'm leaning towards a leather lace up type recoil pad, I think it will go well with the wood stock. Anyone have any good suggestions (other than the "man up and deal with it")?Rifle and range info:If I'm reading the barrel codes correctly this gun was made in 1970 but the stock had 93 in white paint on it. I'm going to call Remington this week and see if I can get a date from the serial number, the scope looks like it would be correct for that time (70's) it's just a no frills fixed 4X. The trigger was pretty light and with the exception of the last set of 20 was surprisingly accurate. There were a few flyers on the last 20 from my shoulder arguing with my brain, seems my shoulder had somewhere else it wanted to be. As mentioned before this gun had seen little to no use before today and other than a couple of minor dings in the stock and a little rust on the bolt knob looks really good. Thanks for reading.
Ne Desit Virtus

#2 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

I would replace it with a new Limbsaver Recoil pad either by yourself or by a gunsmith. I don't care for anything slipped or tied to my stock, recoil pad or ammo carrier.

#3 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

I will put my vote in fro limb saver also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users