• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

After reading peoples reviews on the Benjamin Rogue and reading about all of the issues the owners have been having with leaks, electronic malfunctions and numerous other problems and the fact that to my eyes Rogue kind of looks more like an Electronic Potato Launcher than a rifle (IMHO) I've been throwing around an idea in my head and thought I would run it past some of you who might have some theories and or ideas about this as well. Anyway, I'm wondering... if you took a .25 Cal Benjamin Marauder Rifle and had a custom bolt made for the larger breech, machined out the breech block to accept the bolt and larger custom .357 barrel, ordered the needed parts you could that are used on the Rogue (i.e. Barrel, Shroud Spacer, Baffles, End Cap and possibly the shroud if it differs in size or length from the Marauder shroud and Barrel Band if needed also)... do you think it would be feesable to convert a Marauder into a .357 (or .355 since I think that is actually what the Rogue really is)? I know that the valve port would have to be enlarged and it might be necessary to machine the Valve Assembly to allow more air to push the larger projectile with enough air to get the FPS up to the FPS of the Rogue. I know both rifles have the same diameter reservior and that they both fill to 3000PSI (or a little higher). The main reason I was thinking of this is that I like the fact the the Marauders and Rogue have baffling which definitely helps with air rifle report and would rather have a big bore rifle that looked like the Marauder (or a standard rifle look) but would fire the .357 sabot/pellet without the noise that you would get from say a Sam Yang Recluse or another brand of Big Bore air rifle. Well, there it is... my idea that has been churning around in my noggin. I know it is probably a little crazy, but sometimes crazy turns out pretty cool. :)

#2 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:19 AM

Honestly,i think the cost of doing that would easily put you into a Korean big bore rifle....

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

They have modded up to 308 and 9mm on Airforce guns but the valve is a tall order. Just get a 308 Corsair that handles 4500 psi.

I'm an airgunholic

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Honestly,i think the cost of doing that would easily put you into a Korean big bore rifle....

I understand the cost and that it would probably be a little expensive, but I was thinking of the noise dampening effect of having the barrel baffled (LDC). Those big bore air rifles are pretty noisey and here in California, well, most know that we can't add anything to the end of the rifle that lowers the db of the report even 1 db. If the barrel is shrouded though, it should be alright.

They have modded up to 308 and 9mm on Airforce guns but the valve is a tall order. Just get a 308 Corsair that handles 4500 psi.

Is the 308 Corsair a shrouded barrel? I'll look it up...

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

I looked up Quakenbush Airguns and I like the .308 Outlaw Exile model (shorter reservior, barrel and fill to 3000PSI), but the wait is extensive. I suppose that would give me plenty of time to save my money. I like the look, and the price is not bad either. I'm going to think about this one... :1087:

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

I understand the cost and that it would probably be a little expensive, but I was thinking of the noise dampening effect of having the barrel baffled (LDC). Those big bore air rifles are pretty noisey and here in California, well, most know that we can't add anything to the end of the rifle that lowers the db of the report even 1 db. If the barrel is shrouded though, it should be alright.

Your idea may work...think it would all come down to the valve..and cost of machining..

#7 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

I just met Dennis Quakenbush at our local air gun show a few months back. Real nice guy.

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users