11 replies to this topic

#1 dirtdevil

dirtdevil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

i have a model 700 VTR, i haven't been out shooting in a while and was sighting it in yesterday morning before our pig hunt. at 100 yards i started out at about 8 inches low, i adjusted my elevation till it maxed out and i was still about 2 inches low...??? i'm puzzled, when i first mounted the scope on my rifle i was dead on at 200 yards taking out clay pigeons no problem. the scope is a Bausch and Lomb BALVAR, 12-34x40mm. the only thing i have down to the scope prior to yesterday was that i moved the backwards in the rings for a better relief....but now my elevation is maxed and i'm still off....besides the point my cousin and i both bagged some nice piggies.Attached File  6.jpg   13KB   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0356.JPG   25.32KB   2 downloads

#2 dirtdevil

dirtdevil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Here's our piggiesAttached File  9.jpg   25.35KB   2 downloads

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Weird. Move the scope forward in the rings to where it used to be and see if that makes a difference.

#4 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,631 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

DD, I just had the same problem with a Simmons. My solution was to replace the scope, but you can remove the scope, put a shim under the scope at the rear mount.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#5 dirtdevil

dirtdevil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Well after I posted this I got my mail and I'm getting a little extra cash back this year, so I think its time for a newer scope and I'll just give it back to my dad cause I owe him money...but thank you everyone.

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

That front ring sure looks awful close to where it starts to bell open, are you sure part of that taper isn't in the ring making it sit higher than it should? That would be my bet, an makes the most sense.

#7 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

Did you accidentally get 20 MOA base instead of normal base?

#8 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

That front ring sure looks awful close to where it starts to bell open, are you sure part of that taper isn't in the ring making it sit higher than it should? That would be my bet, an makes the most sense.

I agree. Check this^^^You slid the scope back too far and the front of the scope is now tilted upwards.
Hic Ego Statio

#9 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Get higher scope rings...I am not sure what caliber you are shooting, but the bullet's trajectory arch will vary by caliber/weight. It looks cool sitting right off your barell, but I have a really good feeling(speaking from experience) that the higher scope rings will benefit you.

#10 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Did you accidentally get 20 MOA base instead of normal base?

He didnt change his base or rings. Just slid the scope back in the rings and now it wont zero.
Hic Ego Statio

#11 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Get higher scope rings...I am not sure what caliber you are shooting, but the bullet's trajectory arch will vary by caliber/weight. It looks cool sitting right off your barell, but I have a really good feeling(speaking from experience) that the higher scope rings will benefit you.

Ring Height has nothing to do with your point of impact. Ring height should be set to the position of the shooters eye when you have good/consistant cheek-weld.
Hic Ego Statio

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Yep, and to clear the objective lens too. Don't bang your head against the wall too hard though Dave, some people have mechanical aptitude, and some don't. Not a bad thing, it can just be frustrating at times :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users