7 replies to this topic

#1 asquirrelsworstenemy

asquirrelsworstenemy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'm getting into crossbow shooting, and I am curious if anyone can give me information on choosing arrowheads. The crossbow is 175 pounds and shoots between 16-20 inch bolts. Looking at hunting squirrels and turkeys for now so which broadhead/points would be best grain size and all. Thanks.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways. -John WayneGod made man, Sam Colt made them equal.

#2 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

What kind of crossbow do you shoot and what's the FPS rating? The reason I ask is that I shoot a BowTech Stryker that shoots just under 400fps with 125gr broadheads. I tried to use mechanicals of several brands but none would stay closed when they left the rail. I ended up with G5 Outdoors fixed blade broadheads. Some say to take advantage of the 400+ fps that my bow is capable of by using lighter 100gr or 90gr Muzzy's but the 125's showed me the best accuracy out to 60yds. I've only shot 2 turkeys with my Stryker. Both were from a distance of 35yds and both shot thru the wing joints. It's all about shot placement. Do some homework on the broadheads before heading out into the field. Good Luck!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#3 asquirrelsworstenemy

asquirrelsworstenemy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Thanks! It's an inferno fury 175 pound, 235 fps.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways. -John WayneGod made man, Sam Colt made them equal.

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

On my compound bow I get great accuracy with the Magnus 2 blade stingers but I am not sure about the Crossbows. Magnus has a lifetime warranty on there broadheads too which is very nice. I snapped one on a rock and they sent me two replacements.

#5 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

I shoot a PSE triton compound, and it puts a carbon arrow right through a deer. You could probably put an arrow with a 243 brass on the end all the way through a turkey at 400 fps. I would use broad heads on turkey, but on squeaks, the shock of a blunt tip will kill them instantly

Or maybe a bird tip, that way your arrow will not go 300 feet on the ground if you miss.

Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#6 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Tom, I was asking him what FPS his bow shoots because most turkey hunters using crossbows are gravitating towards mechanical broadheads (producing a larger wound channel). I have found, with my crossbow anyway, that they open up prematurely and throw off the bolt enough to cause a missed shot. If his crossbow didn't have a high FPS rating, he could probably use mechanical broadheads just fine. Bows are completely different in their mechanics when releasing the string. Bows have a much longer string travel (more forgiving to the longer arrows) and most travel much slower than todays crossbows. On a crossbow the amount of limb energy transfered to the bolt is incredibly fast and abrupt. And you're right, one of my bolts could go thru a deer with a brass case on it. I met a guy in Arizona that told me he was done for the day and put a bolt with a big blunt on to unload his crossbow when this large muley came out of a wash near his truck. He said he got buck fever and forgot he had the blunt bolt on the rail and shot at the deer. He told me it made it thru the deer with no problem from 20 yards.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#7 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

:crazy:
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#8 stablizo

stablizo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

I bagged a couple turkeys with my TenPoint Titan HLX (175lb, 20" arrows).  One (at about 15yds) while using a G5 Montec 100gr (not the CS) broadhead and the other using 100gr Muzzy Phantoms at about 20 yds.  In both cases, the arrow went through the bird but the Muzzy had a quicker kill.

Comparing the two broadheads, the Muzzy is a little wider but only has two main blades with two bleaders.  the Montec is a three blade and is easier to sharpen  Everyone misses on occassion and after misses with both, the Muzzy's seemed in better condition.  In both cases, though, it only took one shot to bag the bird.

Neither broadhead is a mechanical and I was going to change all my broadheads to the Muzzys when a buddy of mine suggested using Schwackers.  I'll try those next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users