• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hi everyone, Well I've gone and done it again. I purchased another project air rifle. This time it is a .22 caliber Sumatra 2500 Carbine air rifle. The gentleman who owned it said that it had a problem with the check valve and when bleeding air from the line all of the air would bleed back out because the check valve was not functioning properly. I'm going to fix it and hopefully get it back to operable shape. It is pretty cool. Here's a photo of it:Attached File  9.jpg   6.34KB   4 downloads I think I got a pretty good deal if I can get it working properly. I got the rifle, case, fill probe and two clips for a decent price. The fill probe is being mailed out today because it was not put in the package and forgotten. I looked up today how much these are brand new and was amazed that new they cost $649.00 at Pyramyd Air. If I can get this puppy working properly it is going to be a great deal. I can't wait to get her out to a range or the desert and shoot and sight it in once I get it working properly again. Anyway, I'll let you all know how it goes once I'm able to start working on it and find out if I've got a dud or a winner.

#2 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

ARH,Nice find and a great deal, I would bet you can get back up and shooting again.Man you got the Air Gun bug, I think you you may be addited to Air Guns.Randy

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

Sounds like a good deal even if the main valve is leaking.

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

You know what Randy? I think you might be right :signlol2iu: . I also have come to develop a pretty good idea of when I see a good deal to jump on it and also when I should stay away from something. As long as I can learn how to work on this rifle I think I'll do alright and will happily add it to my collection (which is growing a little but I'm going to whittle it down soon to make room and pay some bills). As soon as I get the Project Marauder I'm working on tuned and firing accurately, I'm probably going to put it up for sale. However, I'm keeping the reshaped stock for my current .22 Marauder Rifle that I hunt with because I've really become attached to it and like all of the work I've done to the stock, and I'm putting a different stock on the Project Marauder. I may even sell the .22 Project Marauder without a stock so that someone can use it to make a Bullpup Marauder out of or put their own stock on it. I haven't decided just what I'll do with it just yet. When I get a chance to work on it and test it out I'll let you all know how my Sumatra does. :)

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Sounds like a good deal even if the main valve is leaking.

I think it was a good deal too. :) And if I can learn how to disassemble it I'm positive that I'll be able to fit it myself. It is going to take some patience to learn the disassembly process since this is the first time I've ever even touched one of these Korean air rifles. After seeing how nice it is though, it makes me interested in one of the Sam Yang .357 Recluse air rifles. I'd love to find a good deal on one of those! :signlol2iu:

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Holy Molie! I don't believe this. I don't belive I didn't realize this when I first looked at the rifle in my hands. The guy sold this gun to me as a .22 and it is actually a .25 cal Sumatra 2500 Carbine. Right on the side it says "6.4mm" which 6.35mm coverts to 1/4" or .25 cal. I'm totally stoked! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :653:

#7 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

ARH,Maybe he was shooting 22 cal instead of 25 cal pellets and the gun is fine?Have you tried it yet?

#8 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

The barrel looks to be in fantastic shape and everything else about the gun, other than the check valve it is in excellent condition. It cocks and fires as it should just fine. I think he just mistyped it when he posted the classified.

#9 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

That could have worked out really well for you if it was incorrect pellet choice 22cal when needed a 25 cal pellet vers the check valve replacement.Either way you have another good gun in your collection and for a great price.

#10 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

I have sent the guy a message to inquire if it was a typo or if he just wasn't aware that it was a .25. I know it is not a .22 caliber. The barrel, Clips and number on the side all point to .25. I'm positive it was just a typo. Hopefully I'll get a message from him sometime this evening. If I do, I'll let you know what he says.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Finders keepers, losers weepers!

#12 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

The previous owner sent me a message and said he wasn't aware that it was a .25 cal. He purchased it from StraightShooters as a .22 and never really paid attention to what the side of the rifle said. I figure since I noticed right away that the .22 pellets didn't fit properlly in the clip that he would have noticed as well. Oh well, I can't wait to get my foster connection to use the fill probe with my pump and see if I'm going to have to disassemble it to get to the valve or not. We'll see soon.

#13 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

ARH, If it turns out that the only problem was that the original owner didn't figure out that it was a .25 cal gun, then you have got to run out and buy yourself a lotto ticket. :)

#14 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Too bad I don't gamble... :D ... at least not that way. :D

#15 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

Wow, That is beautiful. I didn't realise that air rifles got to be so expensive.Tom

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Tom, airguns often cost more than powder guns.

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

My Air Ranger (Daystates) just had a price increase.Daystate Prices Daystate Air Wolf MCT $2379 Daystate Air Wolf MCT Tactical $2379 Daystate Mk4 iS $1829 Daystate Mk4 iS Thumbhole $2095 Daystate Huntsman Classic $995 - Special Daystate Huntsman XL $1095 - Special Daystate Air Ranger - up to 50 ft/lbs $1979 Daystate Air Ranger - up to 80 ft/lbs $2379

#18 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

The Daystate Huntsman XL $1095 has been a hot seller recently...more on their way,so guess the price will hold where it is for time being..

#19 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

I got Lucky and got my Air Ranger at PAG for $1640 brand new then I had it tuned and a full shroud.

#20 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Well, I received my Foster connection to attach to my fill probe and my replacement check valve in the mail over the weekend and got the chance at lunch today to install the new check valve and then fill the .25 Sumatra with air. It was a pain to get the ring nuts off of the rifle to remove the faulty check valve, but I finally did it. Unfortunately I scratched the ring nuts just a little in the process. It is not too bad, but I know it is there. Eventually I may repaint them, but for now I'll leave it like it is. The new check valve seems to be working perfectly. I currently have it filled to 200 Bar (very close to 3000PSI) and I'm going to let it set for a week like that to see if it has any leaks or if it holds air like it should. I mounted a 4-16x50AO IR MD Leapers scope that I had laying around on some high mounts that were also laying around and it seems to fit my eye and hold well. I took a photo of it, but the lighting is not too good..25 Eun Jin Sumatra 2500 Carbine:Attached File  6.jpg   6.58KB   2 downloadsScratches on Ring Nut:Attached File  EJS_EndRingScratches.JPG   37.91KB   2 downloads Once I get a chance to take it out, zero it in and get it on paper I let you all know how it shoots. I won't be shooting it in the backyard... I know that much for sure!

#21 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

Congrats, looking forward to hear how this turned out.

#22 TAP

TAP

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Airguns, metal detectors, amateur radio and woodworking.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Have you considered installing a foster fill quick disconnect fitting so you won't have to use the Sumatra probe?I installed one on my Career which took about 3 minutes, it cost $19.99 at www.airgunstyle.com.A-5348-VUTy

#23 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for the info Ty. That would definitely make it more convenient. Do they make caps/covers for keeping dirt, dust and other grime out of the Foster connection?

#24 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

What a score, those things have incredible power. Did you pick it up off yellow forum classifieds?

#25 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Actually a member on the Marauder Air Rifle Forum was selling it because the valve was messed up and I just happened to look at the Buy/Sell section that day and liked what I saw and happened to be the first person to PM him and said I wanted it. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it just yet because of how loud it is, but I hear that it should easily shoot the 35.8 grain EunJin pellets at upwards of 1100 FPS or a little more on high power. On lower power it should shoot the same pellet at around 950 FPS or so. I'm really looking forward to getting out and zeroing it in. It is going to make a great .25 caliber hunting rifle for the larger of the small game and on up to medium sized ones. At 950 FPS the EunJim 35.8 pellet would produce almost 72 FPE and at 1100 FPS it would produce 96 FPE. That's a pretty hard hit for an air rifle. I hope to get out soon to test it out and chrony it for myself.

#26 TAP

TAP

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

ARH,The foster fill adapter from Airgunstyle.com doesn't come with a cap but Pyramyd Air sells the adapter with a vinyl protective cap. I picked up a plastic stem cover from the local hardware store that fit better.

#27 TAP

TAP

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

ARH,How's your Sumatra 2500 carbine working out? I'm in the market for a .25 Sumatra or .25 Career 707 and wanted to know what you thought about the .25 cal?I've never shot an airgun of that caliber how's the accuracy?Ty

#28 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Ty,I still haven't gotten a chance to take it out yet. I have shot it without a pellet in it on accident... WOW! It is Sooooooooooo loud compared to my Marauders! I know they are supposed to be really accurate and shoot well. It will probably be a while before I get a chance to shoot it. I've heard nothing but good things from the guys who own them about the accuracy of the guns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users