#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

My son messed my book up. But I cant seem to find load data in my lyman book for 25-06 using 100 grain nosler (spitzer) with imr 4831/h4831 powders. My book only shows 100 grain jacketed SP but not with the powders I have.Need to COAL and powder min/max if you can get them for me please.

#2 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

http://data.hodgdon....tridge_load.aspYou can look up by cartridge and it lists most everything. Do remember IMR 4831 and H4831 are not quite the same and have different mins/maxes.

#3 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Yeah they look the same but from what I've read the powder that made the 25-06 a great handload was h4831 so I figured I would give it a try, and I chose the imr4831 just for a second powder. I ran into a problem last night though, for some reason my hornady primer hand tool kept jamming primers in the feed tube. I had to manually feed 1 primer at a time. So I have to figure out what the heck is going on. I know I had it set the large primer slot too. It freaked me out because it semi dented the primers in the case and I doubt I'll be using the 3 it fed wrong. They also seem to be seated a little too deeply as well. So I may need to either try the press primer feed or pick up another hand primer. Any suggestions? Also the website gave 100 grain nosler partition bullets, but I'm using 100 grain nosler spitzers. Is there a difference? They are both boat tails too.

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

http://www.nosler.co...100-Grains.aspxDoesn't list your powders but might have other useful data such as COAL.

#5 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Yeah they look the same but from what I've read the powder that made the 25-06 a great handload was h4831 so I figured I would give it a try, and I chose the imr4831 just for a second powder. I ran into a problem last night though, for some reason my hornady primer hand tool kept jamming primers in the feed tube. I had to manually feed 1 primer at a time. So I have to figure out what the heck is going on. I know I had it set the large primer slot too. It freaked me out because it semi dented the primers in the case and I doubt I'll be using the 3 it fed wrong. They also seem to be seated a little too deeply as well. So I may need to either try the press primer feed or pick up another hand primer. Any suggestions? Also the website gave 100 grain nosler partition bullets, but I'm using 100 grain nosler spitzers. Is there a difference? They are both boat tails too.

I have always just used the priming set up on my rockchucker. Usually hard to get them to seat too deep, unless you are using pistol primers? (shorter cup, same diameters) IMR V H4831 - Always used H4831 in the .270. Max loads for teh H are a few hundred fps faster - IMR hits pressure max faster and doesn't give the extra FPS.I have the latest and the first Nosler manual - both only have the 100gr spitzer partition. No non-partition spitzer. Sure they aren't partition? or that they are Nosler?

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

call doug he can help you.

#7 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

My load that shoots fast(3379FPS over my Chrono) and super accurate in my Ruger M77 rifle is a Ken Waters load of 56grs of IMR4831 with a Nosler BT(or PAR) bullet. This is a hot load but shows no pressure signs. I use mag primers but you can use regular primers also.I tried H-414/IMR4064/Win760/H450/RL19/IMR4350/RL22/RL15/H380/Varget and IMR4895 in decending order of FPS I got.

#8 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

Nice I'll try a few out. I'm gonna be loading some soon once I get a little free time. Just finished up a class so I haven't had much time. I'm gonna try both powders. But for paper punchers to break in the barrel I'm just using the 100 grainers. Will those work with load that you worked up doug? For barrel break in only. Not using these for hunting just yet. Oh and I pick the gun up in 3 more days!

#9 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

I have used the 56grs of IMR4831 with Rem/Hornady bullets as well as Nosler BT and PAR. All worked great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users