9 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

Someone I know got two pheasants over the weekend and he just asked me for a good recipe. Can anyone here help me out?

#2 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:14 PM

Soak them completely covered in apple cider for 48hrs. Stuff them with granny smith apples until you can't shove any more in. Smear them with butter and season them and put them on the smoker for about 30 min per lb. at 175 degrees. Oh yeah weigh them before you stuff them. This should get you medium and they will be juicy. They must be plucked not skinned.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#3 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:21 AM

Go to the store and buy two frozen pie crusts unless you want to make your own crust. They usually come two to a package.The following ingredients:onionpeascelerypotatoescarrotsgreen beanscan of chicken brothflourgarlic powderItalian seasoning - usually has basil and oregano in it.And of course one pheasant.Slice as much of the meat from the bird as you can. I mainly use the breast. Also use heart, liver, gizzard (slit and clean first).Pan fry bird meat and organs in butter and a 1/c of onion (diced). Then chop them into ~1/2" pieces.Chop the following into 1/2" chunks. The veges can vary since some people don't like peas, etc. You can leave some out, or add ones not mentioned.1/4c celery1/4c carrots1 large potato1/4c peas1/4c green beansMix the cooked, chopped meat and organs with the chopped vegetables. and pour into one of the pie crusts. Add the can of chicken broth. Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour into the mixture (this will help to thicken the broth as it cooks). You can also use a teaspoon of cornstarch instead orf the flour.Season with the garlic and Italian seasonings to taste. I use a bit of pepper and wait until completely cooked and served to put any salt in. The pie crusts should be thawed. Place the second pie crust on top of the pie and pinch around the edges to seal. I place the aluminum pie tin into a glass one for the cooking, but you don't have to. It is easier to extract the pies from the oven with the heavy glass than flimsy aluminum. You can also place the pies on to a baking sheet. It catches any juices that bubble out while cooking so you don't have to clean the oven later.Heat the oven to 350 degrees and place the pie in. Go clean your rifles, reload some ammo, and come back in about 45-50 minutes to remove the pie. Let it sit for about 10 minutes as it will be very hot inside. You can substitute rice for the potato, but you will have to add additional water to the broth as the rice will suck the moisture from the pie if you don't.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#4 stevowpappas

stevowpappas

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:15 PM

i cook mine on the ronco rotisserie. Lightly season them with a dry rub and put them in for 13 min a lb. Darn good and easy to cook. You have to own a ronco though.

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

I just finished smoking mine, but this recipe had my mouth watering!!! Okay, got two more birds in the freezer I am going to have to try this recipe - sounds like a shepherd's pie, but with game bird! Thanks for posting this recipe ----
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#6 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

It is basically the same thing. It works with many types of meat. You can alter the broth from chicken to beef depending upon whether you have fowl or mammals. I like it because you have to cook it in the pie for good while which softens most of the game that tends to be tougher when you just broil it.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#7 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:31 PM

Take the pheasant and split in half after skinning, taking off the thigh and leg. Remove the backbone, shears work good for this. Salt and pepper and then dredge in flour. Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter then brown the pieces. Remove the pheasant and put 1/2 cup onion and a cup of sliced mushrooms in the pan. Saute until soft. Add the pheasant pieces back and then att 1/4 cup white wine and 1/4 cup chicken stock. Cover and bring to a boil and then stick in a 325 degree oven until the breast measures 170 degrees. About 15 minutes.

#8 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

Cut it into chunks, season with your usually seasoning, grill over a nice hot flame with a bit of oil... mix up a bacth of Fettuchini Alfredo... Dump the pheasant chunks in and enjoy. Also Deep fried is real good. Baked, (put bacon strips over the breast to keep from drying out) Stuff with wild rice and mushrooms with some shaved almonds. Oranges stuffed inside is good too... Pretty much anyway youd cook a chicken is fine just be sure to use a moist heat or provide some oil so it wont dry out.
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#9 airman

airman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:23 AM

make pheasant taco's and you will never look back. Very basic but good..* take whatever parts you want to use and boil them in beer, water, broth,with onion, celery spices. I use the breasts* When done sherd the meat* Get crock pot out and put in a big bottle, or two medium bottles mild chunky salsa, olives, any kind of peppers you want i use jalopino's, some taco sesoning, and mix in some of that water you boiled the pheasants in, and waala* Let it cook all day the longer the better, this is the only way i do them anymore.mix in any ing. you want and make them as hot as you like , get some torts and make like a taco.

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

I useually do them one of two ways. One way is to get a couple packets of Lipton onion soup mix and do them up with rice and cream of mushroom soup. Just use the directions on the box that are intended for chicken but cut the cooking time back a little. The other way is to simply throw them in the crock pot with some Italin salad dressing (the kind you mix up yourself. The bottled stuff sucks). This is my favorite way because it's easy and I useually have a few dove in the freezer that go in as well. It does a good job of tameing the gamey tast of the dove meat.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users