Jump to content


Photo

My .22 Marauder Project is Almost Done


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

    Wildlife Sniper

  • Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Diego County, CA
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hi everyone, Well it has been almost three weeks since I started work on my .22 Caliber Marauder Rifle project. This was a pre-owned rifle I purchased from a member of another forum who said he couldn't get it to shoot accurately. Of course, he had drilled out some of the parts like the end cap, baffles, shroud spacer and many of the O-rings that were in it were the missing, the wrong size or broken. Also, the Hammer Spring was not a factory one and had less power than a factory spring. Anyway, it needed quite a bit of work. I began by making a list of the broken, missing or damaged parts that I would need to replace and ordered them from Crosman. While I was waiting for the parts I decided to start work on reshaping the factory stock into something I liked a little more and then I coated it with Rust-O-Leum Undercoating spray. I also had to reshape the butt pad since while reshaping the stock I had decreased the size of the butt of the stock. All in all, it came out looking pretty nice. After about a two week wait (ten working days), the parts finally arrived yesterday and so I began the process of reassembling the gun and tuning it to get a good power curve and velocities that would work well with the pellet I like to use. Unfortunately after charging the reservior back up I found that some debris that was in the reservior has worked it's way into the O-Ring area of the Gauge Port and so I'm going to have to disassemble the internals of the rifle to remove this section, clean it and the interior of the reservior that I couldn't get to and using some silicone grease, reassemble the rifle and hope that it doesn't leak again. Anyway, so I'm in the process of tuning it and chasing down a leak. Once I get those two items compeleted I'm going to test for accuracy. I can tell you that it is not clipping the new Shroud Spacer, Baffles or End Cap and seems to be functioning in that aspect as it should. I've posted a few pictures of it below so you can see what it looks like now compared to the factory stock. I can't wait to complete the rebuilding part and not have any leaks. I'm learning alot in the process of rebuilding it, but would like to move on to something else. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:Here are the pictures:Side Elevation:Posted ImageRear View:Posted ImageFront View:Posted ImageOnce I get it fully repaired I'll post pictures of the groups it is getting. :roflmao3[1]:

#2 Brant

Brant

    StubExt

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Looks nice. I really like the truck bed type material which is similar on my Stubby Extreme. It is very durable and has a comfortable feel. The more weight you can get rid of the better I think. Sounds like the previous owner was kind of a hack.

I'm an airgunholic


#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

    Wildlife Sniper

  • Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Diego County, CA
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

Thanks Brant. The real weight of the gun is in the action/internals. The stock weighs only a little more than 3 pounds in it's factory shape. I think that is why so many want a bullpup stock and hardware for these Marauders. They want to bring the mean weight of the gun closer to the shoulder. As far as the previous owner goes, he was a nice guy. That being said, I don't think that he was mechanically inclined or an engineer of any sort. Pretty much all the mods he did to the rifle messed up the accuracy instead of helping it out. Of course, I won't know if I can get it to shoot accurately until I get this leak fixed, tune it for the pellet, zero in the scope and shoot it. I'm really hoping I can get it to be a winner. If I get it to be accurate and work as it should (no leaks, issues or otherwise), I might put my main factory stock on it and sell this one (keeping the modified stock for my original .22 or .25 Marauder since I really like this modified stock. I'll just have to wait and see. I'd like to get some of my buddies into air gunning with a nice gun at a deal of a price (of course, making a little for my time and effort of making this dud of a Marauder Rifle into a winner :roflmao3[1]: ). I'll let you know how it goes.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users