#1 Jim_

Jim_

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

Homemade E Caller

I made this E caller after reading several different articles on the internet. I ended up taking a little bit of information from all of them and combined them into this. Right now the box is just cardboard with camo duct tape on it and will have to do until I get a chance to get a plastic utility/ammo box. The plan is to wire up a plastic ammo box and place everything in it so it's somewhat waterproof. Attached File  9.jpg   14.49KB   4 downloadsThe call is basically made with a MP3 player hooked up to a NADY wireless microphone transmitter. Inside the box contains the receiver, Radio Shack mini-amplifier, and a Speco 5" SPC5P speaker. The wireless mic is a Nady Systems DKW2LT/N VHF Wireless Lavaliere System that I got from Amazon for $45. I haven't seen this particular model number in any of the articles I read so I took a chance on it. The description on the website said it's a battery powered system but when it got here the receiver is actually an A/C powered base that's ran with a 12v plug in transformer. Luckily I had some AA rechargeable batteries around so I didn't have to purchase any. I got a 10 battery holder from a local electronics shop for less than $3.00 and a plug with pigtail for about the same. The 10 pack of batteries supplies 12v needed to run the system and seems to work perfect. Since the case of the mini-amp is held together with a small screw, I put a small cutout in the plastic case and put the battery outside of it so I can get at the battery to change it when needed. This way I didn't want to have to carry a small screwdriver with me just to change a battery. Everything is on switches with power indicator lights so I don't have to open the box up until the batteries need to be charged. I just leave the power switches on the receiver and amp on all the time and shut the power off on the outside switches. The lights let me know if the power is on or not. The lights are LSD's that you would us in a truck. They run on 2 volt power so they shouldn't have much effect on power consumption. All the electronics are held in place with blue painters tape now…what the heck, it works. I haven't had a chance to check it out in the field yet but the signal seems pretty strong. I tested it out by putting the call in the garage and walked down my hill and operated it from the street by shooting through the house. It picks up the signal from about 50 yards without a problem. Hopefully since it seems to work great at that distance through the wall, I will be able to get 75-100 yards no problem. Let me know what you think. Jim

#2 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Sooooooo many of us have been there, done that. It's definitely fun to make your own gear, especially when you are on a budget. And lots of coyotes have been called in with these. Here's a picture of the one I built into a Plano ammo box, then camo painted:Posted ImageAlthough these "El Cheapo" callers can work, I guarantee that as you sit out there waiting for a coyote to show up, you will begin worrying and wondering whether the audible static and white noise that your wireless mic & transmitter is broadcasting might be hurting more than helping your hunt. It's an unfortunate variable that new hunters often inflict upon themselves that makes the learning curve a little steeper. They won't know if their stand was a blank because of the inferior sound of their homebuilt... or maybe they haven't learned to use the wind... or maybe they need to buy scent cover dryer sheets and rabbit-piss scented deodorant... or some other nonsense. The best thing about homebuilt ecallers is it will get you out there hunting and learning. The bad news is that a basic rabbit distress mouth caller is dirt cheap and any fool can use one of those effectively.TIP: A good, used Foxpro FX3 can be had for less than $250. The money spent on parts for the home-built could have been invested in a real ecaller like that or any of several other great callers.Fortunately for me, I discovered that I can use the power horn from my old homebuilt as an auxiliary speaker plugged into my Foxpro so it wasn't a total waste of money.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

As long as it works, you enjoy it, and maybe even saved a little money, then I think it is GREAT. I know I couldn't build my own, so the satisfaction of making one yourself is another great part of it.Ken does make a good point on buying a used Foxpro. While this certainly is not necessary, nor the reward of making your own, it can be another excellent option, and for not a whole lot of $$.IMO, 2 of Foxpro's finest, most trouble free e callers ever made were the 416 & 532, that are obsolete. Then again, most of their models become obsolete after about 38 hrs. Ok, an obvious gripe of mine. LOL... BTW, those 2 calls were over $400 brand new.Anyway, you can sometimes find e calls on EBay or Craigs list and for a good price. Last one I saw perhaps a couple months ago was a 416 for $150. That one did not have the remote though... A necessity IMO, but is an example of what might be out there. Anyway, I'm sure you did good, and let us know when you slay something with it.

#4 Jim_

Jim_

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

As much as I would love to buy one, Foxpro's are just out of my reach right now.I'll keep my eye out for a use one and I've been looking at the Spitfire too.Actually I think I made this more to just say I made one :angry2: I'll play around with it. I have also been using hand calls.With gas the way it's going, it may be a while before I can get out again.Jim

#5 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

You might try loading your secondary sounds on your E caller and use your handheld as a primary. loading your Locator siren, challange howl and pup in distress to back up your hand calls and get the best use from both. DR

#6 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

With gas the way it's going, it may be a while before I can get out again.Jim

TRUE DAT!!! Until you can get out there, you can always do what certain members here (who will remain nameless) have done... scare or annoy the dickens out of your neighbors in the middle of the night! :angry2:

#7 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

Great job i did the same thing to a large coffee mug and a RC car battery. The Nady thing was the only weak link, ditched that and worked for years. I copied one minute of silence from varmint AL'S web sit to start the caller and give me time to walk back to my set-up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users