#1 lukem

lukem

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, offroading, cooking

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

i live in san luis obispo, ca, which is the home of Cal Poly university. on the areas surrounding the campus there are three small ponds. maybe five or six years ago i remember catching trout and catfish in these ponds. but when i went back, i found all the fish were gone. i fished all day without a single bite, and so i stuck around into the evening, to see if anything was biting. i didn't see a single ripple. whats the deal here? were the ponds stocked and the college stopped putting fish in them? anyone who could give me any info on this, that would be great!

#2 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

I don't know about your ponds, but there are several nice lakes around you, and lots of saltwater fish.Infact, you are in prime country for some good hunting.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I would just call the school. The operator should know where to direct your call.Murph.

#4 lukem

lukem

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

I don't know about your ponds, but there are several nice lakes around you, and lots of saltwater fish.Infact, you are in prime country for some good hunting.Tom

thanks tom. i do go to lopez and santa margarita alot, but i live about two miles from the cal poly ponds. i also hunt often, but im not a big fan of turkey and i haven't had much luck with pigs

#5 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

Lukem, I don't understand your problem with pigs. You are less than fifty miles south of prime pig country, also smack dab in the middle of prime coyote country. I was raised in Lompoc, and that is another prime area for hunting.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#6 lukem

lukem

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

it probably has a lot to do with my lack of hunting experience. i've gotten quite a few rabbits and squirrels, but ive only been hunting for a year or so. pigs seem like a natural step up, cause i can work on getting one all year round. im sure there are lots of pigs around here, i just haven't had any luck on public land. maybe private is going to be a better bet.

#7 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hey Lukem,I used to fish those ponds years ago. I have even seen people float tube the larger one. I have tried fishing there but only caught a frog. I heard some guys where catching bass in there with live goldfish at least thats what the rumor was. If you want to catch some fish go for some perch on the coast Montana de Oro at spins is good so it the North side of the rock. Then near #7 buoy there are some large rays and sharks that can be had too. Good luck.

#8 lukem

lukem

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

thanks ill have to check that out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users