• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rendition

Rendition

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Rockabilly Music, Some Country Music, Modern Punk &amp; Alternative.<br /><br />Hiking/Backpacking, Land Survival, Hunting, Shooting

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hello everyone, Im a new member and new hunter. I take the CA. Hunters safety course March 4 and will get my license after that. I am a proud owner of a Gamo Silent Cat .22I'll be using this to get my basic hunting skills down. My cousins husband and I went hiking CNF and found a campground called "Indian Flats" We spent 3 nights and 2 days there. We went scouting to see what type of wildlife we can find. I found multiple burrows for what seemed to be large black rats. I didn't see an rattler's thank God. After our trip I decided to do some research on the campgrounds and I found these types of Game animals listed on the site:Game BirdsBand-tailed PigeonsCalifornia and Mountain QuailDucks and GeeseMourning DoveTurkeyGame MammalsBrush and Cottontail RabbitsJack RabbitsBlack-tailed and White-tailed DeerMule DeerWild PigFur Bearing MammalsBadgerGray FoxRaccoonNon-Game MammalsBob CatCoyoteMolesOpossumRodentsSkunksWeaselThe Following May Not Be TakenNon-Game animals not listed aboveBatsDesert Kit FoxMountain LionsTree SquirrelsThe Following Are Not Found On The Cleveland National ForestAntelopeBlack BearElkNelson Big Horn SheepNow for you more experienced air rifle hunters, what species on that list can I hunt with a basic hunting license and what will be good to hunt with an .22 Air rifle. It shoots 750 with Lead and 950 with PBA. I have multiple grains of lead pellets 22 grain, 14.3, and 15.?? Grains.If I want to add birds to my "applicable game list" what do I have to do in addition to my regular hunting license.Thank you all!

#2 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Welcome aboard! You will want to explore the older threads for some excellent info and opinions about various guns, including Gamo products. Also lots of threads and debates about the meaning of certain confusing regulations and seeming contradictions in the rules. Play with the "SEARCH" function and you'll be amazed at what you'll find.What you might lack in experience, you more than make up for in thoroughness!Hopefully that trait will help you get through the complexities of the hunting regs. The Hunters Safety Course barely scratches the surface and your best resource is to look it up. Unfortunately, there are few simple answers.Start here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/One more thing... don't believe everything you read:http://lmgtfy.com/?q.....ional Forest"

#3 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

Welcome to the club Rendition, I am sure you will learn a lot from this site, There is a lot of talent and wisdom here, and it is free.soak it up, and share your adventures with us.Tom

#4 Rendition

Rendition

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Rockabilly Music, Some Country Music, Modern Punk &amp; Alternative.<br /><br />Hiking/Backpacking, Land Survival, Hunting, Shooting

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

Awesome thanks. I have been looking up alot of information in these forums and across the www. Too much info out there for sure... Some good information and some not reliable. Im hoping to get someone to come with me and my cousin who is an experienced hunter. I am really cautious and take into account the laws of the land, which my cousins husband doesn't really care unless he's caught doing something he shouldn't. I want to learn how to hunt and how to do it legally so I can go out and know that I don't have to worry about a thing and that I am perfectly legit. I'm not a scared person, just a cautious one. I have 3 kids at home and a wife who loves me. Last thing I need is to get cited or arrested for shooting the wrong type of squirrel (tree squirrel hunting is not allowed in so cal I hear).It all started on that "survival camping trip" Ever since that day, I've been wanting to go back and do some camping, hunting and survival. I figured starting out with some small game and an air rifle will be good for me. Later I plan on getting a 308 Remington 770, I would love to move up to yotes, then to deer. And who knows, maybe in some years I'll have a nice bear skin rug. :signlol2iu:

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

My advice is this: Visit your local CNF office and chat with them about areas to hunt in Cleveland...I know where Indian Flats is, and those burrows you seen may have been ground squirrel burrows..(they average about 4" in diameter at entrance).Another tip is get some BLM maps and study those plus you can research most of this on the DFG site...Jackrabbits,ground squirrels are open season year round,btw.I started like you about 4 years ago...hunting with pellet rifles.

#6 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

Im hoping to get someone to come with me and my cousin who is an experienced hunter. I am really cautious and take into account the laws of the land, which my cousins husband doesn't really care unless he's caught doing something he shouldn't. I want to learn how to hunt and how to do it legally so I can go out and know that I don't have to worry about a thing and that I am perfectly legit.

Sounds like you need to find a better hunting partner ASAP - someone with some ethics - before you end up sharing a citation for some violation committed by your cousin-in-law.

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Concerning your questions, the following Game Animal/Upland Birds are legal air gun quarry here in California as long as you have a valid California Hunting License and Upland Game Bird Stamp:Wild TurkeyEurasian-Collared DovesDoves (Chinese Spotted and Ringed Turtle-Dove)Quail (California, Desert and Mountain)Grouse (Sooty, Ruffed and Sage)Ptarmigan (White-Tailed)Partridges (Hungarian and Red-Legged)ChukarPheasantsTree SquirrelsJack Rabbits (and Varying Hares)Rabbits (Cotton Tails, Brush and Pigmy) You can also hunt European Starlings, European House Sparrows and Ground Squirrels. I'm pretty sure you can hunt Ground Hogs too. It is always best to make sure you know when the seasons start and when they end and if any special permits are needed to legally take any of those animals. Jack Rabbits can be taken year round. Also, when hunting with an air rifle, always make sure you know your maxium distance for putting the most effective amount of FPE (Foot Pounds of Energy) on your target. Make sure you know the kill zones for each animal so you make a quick, humane kill too. Like others have mentioned though, always check with the local forestry rangers and the California DF&G for updates to the regulations. And if your cousin-in-law doesn't follow the regulations definitely find a new hunting partner. It is people like that who make it difficult for the rest of the ehtical hunters who follow the rules and regulations.

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

I figured starting out with some small game and an air rifle will be good for me. Later I plan on getting a 308 Remington 770, I would love to move up to yotes, then to deer. And who knows, maybe in some years I'll have a nice bear skin rug. :rolleyes:

I noticed there is no shotgun on that list :WWD: , that means you are missing out on five of the most important months of the year, BIRD SEASON!!! I kid, but am also very serious. Just something to consider, shotguns are cheap and birds are plenty in CA. Welcome, and good luck. You have a lot of mountains and desert over the hill just North(East) of you :rofl2:

#9 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

You make a good point there Bisley. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#10 Rendition

Rendition

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Thank you everyone again!I passed my Hunter safety course (100%) and picked up my regular Hunting License. With everything I learned during that course and what I have learned so far from these forums, I'm certain that hunting will bring a lifetime of enjoyment to me, my children (when they are old enough) and to friends that come along.For my 1st stop, I contacted the Ramona Station for CNF, great hunting area, they say I need a primitive camping permit. I ll be checking out the area by the Orosco Shooting Range. The range is closed and no hunting is aloud within the range boarders but outside of that area is fair game. I liked Indian Flats, but I don't really see any good hunting there.@ Bisley, I will definitely be picking up a shotty! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I'll probably go with the good ol' 12 with an full/extra full choke.

#11 Mayhem in Carmichael

Mayhem in Carmichael

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Fly fishing, camping, Nascar, NFL, Dancing :)

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

Saw a show the other night where Jim Shockey took out wild pig with a Benjamin Rogue .357 Limited Edition :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Would be cool not to have such a hard recoil! Too bad it's not a legal method of take for pigs here.... :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#12 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

I am with you on that! I really wish we could hunt hogs with air rifles here in California. That is about the only thing holding me back from ordering a Benjamin Rogue .357 or Sam Yang Recluse .357 or even one of the larger caliber air rifles. What's the difference between shooting a hog at 50 yards or less with an arrow or shooting it with a .357 caliber air rifle at 50 yards? Especially if you shoot it in the head :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: . Maybe one day the regulations will change and hopefully for the better and not worse. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#13 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

@ Bisley, I will definitely be picking up a shotty! :smiley-funny-post-sign: I'll probably go with the good ol' 12 with an full/extra full choke.

There ya go, but unless you plan on hunting turkey or dogs, I would stick to either a mod & full. I prefer full, but my family and I are also in the minority. I might also recommend that you don't overlook the Angeles/San Bernardino Forest area on both sides of the 15. There's a lot more game in there than most people know, from bunnies to bears. Or so I've heard :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#14 Rendition

Rendition

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thanks Bisley, I'll look into it for sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users