• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

http://www.network54...o spread around
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#2 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

Very interesting Braz,Thanks for sharing.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

Was at the Pacific Airgun Expo last year in Roseville,Ca a got these pics:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

I have seen that video before, and had to watch it again, as it is really very interesting. The one thing that always made me wonder though was what they used back in that day to fill the tanks to such high pressures. I'm sure it would have to be a hand pump of some kind(?) and always wished they would show it just to satisfy my curiosity. But who would have thought of them using air powered rifles back then? Cool stuff for sure.

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Realy cool stuff.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I saw that video too about a week or so ago. I found it very interesting too. However, I wonder how in the 19th century they got (40) consistant shots with only 800 PSI in the reservior using a .46 caliber round ball? It is hard enough with the technology we have today to get (30) fairly consistant, high powered shots with a .22 caliber air rifle that can be charged up to 3200 PSI. Granted, the reservior on that Giardoni air rifle probably holds more air (probably close to 300cc TO 400cc or a little more) than the reservior on a Benjamin Marauder rifle (which I believe holds around 200cc to 205cc of air), but the Giardoni is also pushing a projectile that is more than double the diameter of a .22 caliber and probably weighs 2 1/2 times as much as a typical .22 caliber pellet. I would seriously like to chrony that gun and have them shoot (40) shots at a 1" pine board 100 yards away and watch all 40 shots penetrate a different, targeted location on that board, without the use of a modern day scope and be accurate. The freaking Benjamin Rogue with it's electronic technology can't even get more than around (10) or so consistant shots with a .355 caliber projectile, but once again, the reservior probably doesn't hold as much compressed air. I don't know if I believe all of the "facts" that this gentleman is telling me. That's just what logic is telling me though. That's why I'd really like to see video of one being shot, chrony'd and proof of the shot groups it can get. I'll tell you one thing... I would not want to be the guy that had to pump 1,500 strokes with a bicycle type air pump to fully charge that air reservior! 60 to 80 strokes to top of my air gun is plenty for me thanks :lol: . Anyway, thanks for posting the link Braz. :lol:

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

I bet that the Blow hard Obama could charge anything with all of the wind that he blows. :rofl2:
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

Having read the story of Lewis and Clark Expedition I know the Indians were impressed by the Airguns fire power. It deffinately was a deterent to more than one tribe and made them cancel their plans to attack the expedition.

#9 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

The one thing that always made me wonder though was what they used back in that day to fill the tanks to such high pressures. I'm sure it would have to be a hand pump of some kind(?) and always wished they would show it just to satisfy my curiosity.

Here is the only thing I could find concerning the air pump that they used for filling the gun. It's a sketch of the pump and the reservior. I wish they had something better, but I couldn't find anything. Here's the picture:Attached File  Gir_hand_pump_Sketch.jpg   22.68KB   10 downloads

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

Wow, thanks ARH, appreciate it. I had tried to find it before but to no avail. That surely answers my question. I wasn't sure if it was that kind of style or if they heated a water tank of some sort to compress the air inside. Would have not guessed they had invented the "bicycle" pump before the bicycle :smiley_kewlpics: . Thanks again.

#11 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

Here is a link to a more detailed report on this air rifle. Quite a long read but a wealth of information. http://www.beemans.n...sault-rifle.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users