• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

So do you like/use Moly Coated ammunition?
17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

Never! It can cause more problems than it cures.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

I dont use it, Ive seen it hurt more guns than its helped. it was suposed to decrease friction and wear, and increase velosity. in real practice it increased velosity and decreased friction to the point that bullits did not seal well in the bore. this caused fouling problems, and because the coated bullits did not grip the rifling properly, accuracy suffered. its also extreamly difficult to get out of the bore. I tried this in a Win 220 Swift. I had the barrel treated and used the treated bullits. this gun had been a barrel burner, and I thought it would extend the barrel life. I started with a rifle that would easily shoot into an inch at 100yds and ended up with a junk barrel and an action to build a new rifle on. Beware. DR

#4 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Interesting...I know it's not good to shoot Moly over copper rounds as it makes it harder to clean.
17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

#5 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

The stuff I tried was a bore coating and moly coated copper bullits, and yes it was difficult to remove. it resists everything I tried. after rebarreling a Gunsmith friend tried to clean it out and the only thing that worked for him was firelapping . DR

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Moly has an affinity for attracting moisture. And even stainless rusts.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

The one thing I found that would cut it was pipe threading oil. I understand that the old stuff is probably better as the later oil has some ingredient missing.

#8 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

I've been shooting moly coated bullets a long time...never had one problem with them.The whole and ONLY point of shooting Moly coated bullets is it allows you to shoot longer periods before a cleaning is necessary. That doesn't mean days or weeks...it means number of rounds down the tube in one sitting before accuracy is affected. If you do a lot of shooting in a sitting like out shooting ground squirrels, Moly is good. If you shoot coyotes it's really not necessary. I've had plenty of first hand experience using Moly and will say it works for what it is intended too...prolonging accuracy. On my 40x Swift I can get about twice as many shots off before accuracy starts dropping off using Moly. It takes a pretty accurate rifle that delivers CONSISTENT accuracy to really tell. Cleaning has never been a big deal. Kroil and JB...same as always. Then I let them sit with Wipeout...clean as clean is.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

Moly was a flash in the pan with the Competitive Bench Shooters many years ago. As SJ said the problem arises due to the Moly itself attracting moisture and causing corrosion of the barrel especially in the throat area. Cleaning the Moly coating out of a barrel is not done with normal cleaning products. I've never tried RimRock's technique. If you ask any of the top barrel makers they will all say the same thing. Stay away from Moly.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Just out of curiosity...Have any of you had any problems with it? I'm not at all interested in what you read, heard or were told by some other guy...but what problems have you had with it? Just curious.I just find it amazing that I can use a product so long without any problems what so ever but then turn around and read all these horror stories about it (on a lot of sites).
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#11 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

The "system " that was sold to me was a paste that was baked into the barrel and a coating for the bullits. It was suposed to be the miracle that "All the Bench rest guys were using". I tried it in a barrel that was starting to show some erosion but still shot well. and it was a disaster. I ended up with more fouling, and poor accuracy. I wont be trying it again. DR

#12 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

I still use it on all my varmint gun and never experienced any of problem like you guys described. Cleaning is not an issue either. I soaked my barrel with WD-40 or Break Free for 30 minutes and run bronze brush through the bore and all the moly comes off with no problem. Posted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users