• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Thinking about one for kind of a one gun, thoughts?

#2 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Single Six,I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but I've owned my Springfield Armory M1A for over 20 years and have both shot targets and hunted with it. Shooting a .308 round it will certainly take down most game in North America. I've shot both deer and pig with mine and it did the job just fine. I've also shot targets out to 600 yards with it (with a scope). Like any gun it will only perform as well as the optics you put on it and the ammo you put in it. For hunting it's a bit on the heavy side. I used to use a 5 round magazine when I hunted with mine. My M1A is still one of my favorite rifles to shoot, but these days I've got it set up in a sniper configuration with an adjustable stock and a Leupold M4 scope.McAttached File  M1A.jpg   9.07KB   5 downloads

#3 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Well , if my mind wasnt made up it is now. Thanks. Always had bolt guns for inexpensive accuracy but want fewer guns more power and speed (semiauto). I know it's a bit heavy but will do just about anything but isn't an "evil black rifle" My main concern is running into bad guys down here on the border while hunting etc. I want to at least put up a good fight and not piddling around with a 233 bolt gun....and I'm a 1911 guy so a wood and steel semi is right up my alley.I was a bit vague intentionally and it worked I got some good replies. The idea is jack of all trades. Thinking a scout with a dot with some magnification.Well it is jack of all trades master of none...just have to man up when it gets heavy.

#4 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

The socom II has a 16" barrel and a composite stock and higher price tag but comes with good accuracy and less weight I dunno if that's what your looking for but it's a pretty good gun

#5 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

M1A scout with the 18" barrel might be better than the Socom II with better velocity. That would be my choice.

#6 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

I agree.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Are you looking at this as a hunting rifle? Because if that's the case the only thing it excels at is hunting humans. There are so many better choices for a hunting rifle. Don't get me wrong they are great guns but just not precision enough to make a good hunting rifle for the weight you have to pack around.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

I share your concern...I hope I can get it to shoot pretty well. Some say the are minute of man and some say they are MOA. Think I'll just have to find out for myself. I reload, so that helps my chances I think. They do shoot them at 1000...not that I have any intentions of trying to get close to that....from when ships (and rifle stocks!) were made of wood and men were made of steel...So far, I don't do a lot of hoofing it while hunting. We'll see how it works out. Can always sell it! I know the military in general went to light plastic guns and rounds, but it seems the 14 had to be brought out of mothballs since 556 was lacking in power sometimes...and when it counts, they use a .45, not a 9mm. Call me old school I guess.The M4 and 5.56 are fantastic for CQB in my opinion, don't get me wrong. Lots of light, easy to carry, yet powerful bullets in a light, handy, accurate package. I'm looking to hunt yotes, maybe jacks, maybe deer, and not be up a creek without a paddle if I run into some 2-legged coyotes, which is seeming to get more and more likely. If you have a rifle or caliber that is too small, it's too small. If it's too big, you just have to work a bit harder. I'd rather have too much than not enough. "Bring enough gun." I'd like to use it for most everything so I stay familiar and proficient with it. I don't have any illusions of ighting off an entire gang or pack of BGs by myself, but I'd like to make 'em miserable. It also depends largely on if theyr'e off-the-street BGs or paramil...Plus, it's kinda like my 1911. I like it because I like it, because I'm old-school. Sure a Glock holds more rounds, is lighter, simpler, etc...but I don't LIKE them and I LIKE my 1911. I don't dislike ARs, but being in CA makes them...inconvenient.

#9 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

16 rounds out of a 9 mm is as good as a well placed 8 from a .45

#10 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Probably better. I'm more concerned about the first 1 or maybe 2. I noticed a trend while reading "The Armed Citizen". Lots of BGs getting shot with 38 or 9 and running outside and expiring or ending up in the hopital. What if they decide to continue the fight instead of runnning outside? What if they're amped up on drugs? I'll stick to my .45, thanks, unless I have shotgun. Not to mention I prefer the 1911's steel, history, style, and character.

#11 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

I shoot an xD so I am there with you I have 4 of em the one I tend to carry hunting is my 5" .40 cal though cause I can shoot it better than any other handgun I've ever owned and it's cheap to shoot on days that I get skunked. I think my next one will be a .357 sig though. But I was referring to his 1911 having 8 rounds, it's another gun I like cause it feels like a gun, and you could really pistol whip some zombies if it came to that

#12 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Oh and I am pretty sure the magnum research baby eagles hold 10 and can be shot in double or single action.

#13 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Always have my 1911 10+1 when out and about, but the BGs are getting more common and bolder down here by the border, and it's not just one or two punks trying to jack a jeep. I'd much prefer some more range and power than 45. If the M14 will work for hunting, I'd like to use it for both, or at least I'm going to try it and find out. We do a semiformal action pistol shoot locally, and every once in a while do some rifle too, and I think the 14 would be a ball to bring out for that.

#14 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

I have only shot the socom 16 and was really impressed with it that scout rifle looks like the ticket for being able to fill a lot jobs though

#15 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I put an introduction here: http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=5498&st=1770&gopid=241650&#entry241650

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hey Single Six,Not enough time to go through all the posts so I'm not sure where you're standing right now, but I'd like to throw in my :smiley_green_with_envy: if ya don't mind:Pros of the M14:Accurate for a semiLots of accessoriesEasy to maintainPre-fabed sporterizing kits are availableCons of the M14:Has to get (or come with) several upgrades to be a quality long range shooter, which can get expensiveDis-assembly and re-assembly takes a lot of practice to do it smoothly, which you'll have to do often because the M14 likes to be squeaky cleanUnless you buy yours with the 22 inch barrel, your accuracy will suffer.As far as the M1 goes, its an extremely accurate out of the box (so to speak) rifle that doesn't need to be upgraded short of buying one that is drilled and tapped, or getting it done. Off the top of my head I don't know which one is heavier, but neither of them are going to be able to be carried all day without some muscle fatigue. There are plenty of ways to modernize an M1, but to me personally, an M1 is a classic rifle that shouldn't be jacked with =D. I hope these pointers help you.As a final note, if you're worried about running into some baddies by the border, just for that reason alone I'd go with a modified sporterized M14

#16 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Thanks, Iam, good info/post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users