• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BrandO

BrandO

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Hunting in all fashions that are legal and not dangerous, to innocent bystanders that is, lol.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

I know they have a 22LR Conversion Kit for AR15. Now we all have seen the "AR15 Style" 22LR's that BIG5 sells. MY Q IS: Can you Take the Upper off of a 22LR AR and replace it with an Upper Chambered for 5.56/.223?

#2 Brandonadam209

Brandonadam209

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

It may be possible with AR-15 lowers chambered in .22LR like spike's tactical. But let's say the Colt .22LR, which is internally very different from a normal AR-15. Putting a .223 receiver on top should not fit. See, most lowers are set up for 5.56, as are the lower parts kit. I am not sure but I doubt most 22lr lowers are this way, they may be a breed of their own thus meaning they cannot handle the pressure a .223 will give off. I doubt it will chamber correctly. You might be better off just having two guns...

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

I know they have a 22LR Conversion Kit for AR15. Now we all have seen the "AR15 Style" 22LR's that BIG5 sells. MY Q IS: Can you Take the Upper off of a 22LR AR and replace it with an Upper Chambered for 5.56/.223?

Yes, "If'' its built on an AR lower, No if its built on a dedicated 22lr lower. any that Ive seen at Big5 are built on a 22lr dedicated lower. they are built as a cheaper Blowback system. they have no gas system at all. thats why it wouldnt work for centerfire. DR

#4 Brandonadam209

Brandonadam209

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

what i was meaning to say lol

#5 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Trucks,Firearms,Computers,Doberman Pinchers

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

I have the Colt .22 Tactical M4 Carbine. Its a "Replica" plain and simple. I suppose the Carry Handle might actually swap and work on a regular .223 upper, but the whole gun is made by Walther and nothing about it is in anyway similar except the look. Its really a lot of fun and so far it shoots just like any other semi auto .22. http://www.colt22rimfire.com/

#6 BrandO

BrandO

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Hunting in all fashions that are legal and not dangerous, to innocent bystanders that is, lol.

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the consideration and information guys! I have purchased a A2 Replica and waitin the period out!!!

#7 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

I just ordered a CMMG M4 flattop .22 upper for my DD lower. My rifle as it sits now has an 18" barrel and set up for yote hunting. I was thinking about another upper, like a Spikes or RRA, 16" middy for home defense and plinking. I saw that the dedicated 22 uppers are identical to the 5.56/223 ones, so what the heck, .22s are alot cheaper to shoot. Will post pictures when I get it. This is what the rifle looks like, except I went back to a black and sage color.

Attached Files

• Attached File  6.jpg   24.61KB   1 downloads

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

I just gotta ask. A rifle for home defense??? If you miss you can shoot though the walls and killl a neighbor. and a rifle if vey unwieldy in a house or any confined space. I'd recommend a shotgun or pistol for HD. But that's just my opinion.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#9 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

And I respect your opinion, but I live in a very rural area and sometimes the meaning of "home defense" is'nt always inside. We have large critters lurking in close to our house. Also, 00 buck shot from a 12ga. will penetrate almost as many sheetrock panels as a .223hp. The shotgun is a great weapon for what it is, and I think a shotgun in confined spaces is a liability too. Granted, if someone is inside my house, up the hallway, I'm probably going to grab my Sig P220 w/light first. It all comes down to what you are proficient with and what you feel comfortable using to defend you and your family. Uncle Sam spent alot of time and money training me w/AR platform. For me, that's my choice.

#10 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

For me, I was trained with a handgun and that would be my first choice, then reload...
"Life's tough-It's even tougher if your stupid"--John Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users