18 replies to this topic

#1 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

Im new and looking have my forst reload tools and machine...what do i need can someone give me a list of what i need to load for my 270wsm?..if anyone is selling there please pm me

#2 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

My best sugestion is the Lee Aniversery Kit. It comes with everything but the die set and loading supplys. Altho I have used several other tools Lees kits are the most compleate and easiest to use. Good luck DR

#3 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Thank you DR..i will look into it

#4 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

Rockchucker combos are hard to beat as well. I am using the one my dad had since the late 70s. You can sometimes find used ones on ebay.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

I like and use a couple of Rockchucker combos myself and have had my first one since 1968 that I picked up at the factory.

#6 dlburns

dlburns

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Flyfishing, Shooting, Fly Tying, Camping, Golf

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

I just got the Lee Breechlock Challenger kit from Midway. Has everything I needed to get started. Also got a set of Lee 22-250 dies, CCI primers, Winchester 22-250 brass, Nosler Varmit 40 gr. .224 bullets. Just have to wait "3 weeks" fopr them to ship the Hodgdon H380 powder!!! Sure wish I could find it somewhere close to San Jose, I am geezing to get started loading.Dave

#7 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

dlburns - Go check out reeds in San Jose. I was in there for a transfer a few weeks ago and I was amazed at all the reloading stuff they had. The staff was really cool too. If they don't have it I am sure they would gladly order it for you.pig hostile- There are a lot of kits out there to get you started. Single stage is slower but it will teach you the fundamentals. Steer away from the progressives until you are proficient. I have some family and friends that started on a turret press. They just removed the index bar and it was a single stage. Once they were a little more comfortable they put it back in and were cranking away!I still use my single stage for my rifle ammo. My 38's and 357 are being made on the turret. If I am going to be hunting or doing some friendly competition (that I really want to win) I will still work up my loads on my single stage so I can take my time and concentrate.

#8 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

I just got the Lee Breechlock Challenger kit from Midway. Has everything I needed to get started. Also got a set of Lee 22-250 dies, CCI primers, Winchester 22-250 brass, Nosler Varmit 40 gr. .224 bullets. Just have to wait "3 weeks" fopr them to ship the Hodgdon H380 powder!!! Sure wish I could find it somewhere close to San Jose, I am geezing to get started loading.Dave

You love the results of 38 gr of H380 pushing a 40 gr bullet in your 22-250 :two-cents:

#9 dlburns

dlburns

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

I wasn't aware that Reed's was still around. I thought they just had an indoor range somewhere? I will most definitley check them out. I have everything I need to get started but the powder...3 weeks to ship it seperately from my order + $25.00 HazMat fees!!!

#10 dlburns

dlburns

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

You love the results of 38 gr of H380 pushing a 40 gr bullet in your 22-250 :signbummer8tl:

I have read that...can't wait to get the powder and load a few up!Dave

#11 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

I wasn't aware that Reed's was still around. I thought they just had an indoor range somewhere? I will most definitley check them out. I have everything I need to get started but the powder...3 weeks to ship it seperately from my order + $25.00 HazMat fees!!!

I buy almost no powder online anymore because of the fees. DR

#12 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Yesterday I ordered from Cabela's,a RCBS RC SUPREME MASTER KIT SUPREME MASTER KIT.and a model 400 case tumbler kit. also dies for .243- 7mm mag, and 30-06. all for a little over $500.It will be here Tuesday the 28th. This morning Grant showed me how to set everything up on his equipment, and I reloaded my first cartrages. (Thanks Grant)Tom

#13 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

HOOKED!!! But be forewarned, it is not only a wonderful feeling knowing you are responsible for everything from the rounds to pulling the trigger, but also a very, very addicting (and expensive) hobby. Good luck with it. And while I don't say it to make anyone nervous, but we must never forget that we are in essence making small bombs to propel bullets, so always keep your head in the game. Everyone makes reloading mistakes, but the difference is being able to know when a mistake has been made before any injuries. Best of luck, and hope you enjoy it as much as I have :( As far as presses go, I prefer a single stage for rifle, and a (manual) turret press like the Lyman T-Mag, which acts very similar to a single stage, for the 3 or more die calibers (I like to seat the bullet as a seperate step) like pistol.

#14 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

dlburns- Reeds is a lil indoor range now but they still have more reloading stuff (bullets and powder) in their shop than anywhere else that I have found. I am down in Santa Cruz so I dont explore the bay much and I assume there are other shops in our area with a decent selection. Markleys down in Watsonville has some but from the display I was checking out at Reeds I would say they have Markleys beat.Have fun reloading!Bear

#15 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Once you have had the equipment for a while, it pays off. Looking around its easy to see that most ammo is $1.00 a round. Depending upon how many rounds you shoot each year and knowing that you have taylored ammo to fit your rifles for less money, it seems like a win win situation to me. Good luck with the new hobby.

#16 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

I think my daughter is hooked on shooting.She took her new 38 special to the range today.

Attached Files

#17 dlburns

dlburns

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

dlburns- Reeds is a lil indoor range now but they still have more reloading stuff (bullets and powder) in their shop than anywhere else that I have found. I am down in Santa Cruz so I dont explore the bay much and I assume there are other shops in our area with a decent selection. Markleys down in Watsonville has some but from the display I was checking out at Reeds I would say they have Markleys beat.Have fun reloading!Bear

Bear,Stopped in at Reeds this afternoon and they had the Hodgdon H380 powder that I am waiting on from Midway! I was stoked!!! Nice little store with a pretty good inventory. Lots of folks in there today.I am going to call Midway and cancel my powder order, save myself the $25.00 shipping.Now I just have to find a place to build a bench in my garage and start getting it set up to reload...I can't wait.Thanks for the tip on Reeds.Dave

#18 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

I think my daughter is hooked on shooting.She took her new 38 special to the range today.

At the rate your daughter is shootin... you had better get ready reload .38!

#19 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Dave-I am glad it worked out for you. Good luck with the bench and enjoy your new hobby. Bear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users