7 replies to this topic

#1 rachtak

rachtak

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hi,I'm new to archery and really want to combine my love for fishing with my new interest in archery when I have some free time in mid-march. My question is twofold. Is there anywhere good to bowfish in central/northern CA? Will there even be any fish to shoot at that time of year? Any help is appreciated!

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

Spring and early summer is when there is typically the best shooting due to the spawn. Carp are up and gathering in good numbers.Dont know much about the lakes up there, but you will have to check and make sure the lake allows it. Different lakes have different rules.I know Clearlake has tournaments up there, but that is the extent of my NorCal knowledge.
Hic Ego Statio

#3 steve

steve

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (bow/rifle), Fishing, Camping, Skiing, not in any real order. depends on the time of year and the weather.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Lake Don Pedro is good for carp shooting. Level is dropping so there are lots of shallow coves and such coming into play.

#4 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I don't know about northern CA, but central valley, Mendota Slough, and also on the San Juaquin river.

#5 Jay61cal

Jay61cal

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors person who loves to fish and wanting to get back into hunting...

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

I agree with GSH..there's some huge carp in the San Joaquin river and plenty of carp in all the lakes near by...mendota slough is VERY productive but make sure u bring a couple push poles because the water gets shallow where the carp like to hangout.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,706 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

You can always take a trip up to Clear Lake. They have carp shooting tournaments up there every year. I used to go there with a couple of guys and we always had a blast.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 jeager

jeager

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

anyplace ~5,000 ft throw 'em as high above the waterline as possible!

#8 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hi, This has something thats interested me too as I own boys and used to use them alot. Only thing is I noticed in the regs that no game fish are allowed and on the CO River Carp (as mentioned alot above) are the only things really worth a darn to fish there. I thought Carp werent good eating, whats the point of bowfishing for Carp? I am sure interested just need a justification I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users