• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:05 PM

Ok I am finally going to order some brass. The test loads I worked up was with winchester. But Eds Brass is out of WInchester . Would you wait or go with Remingten, Lake City or Federal. Thanks for the input Robert

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:26 PM

Try buying it online. Winchester is the way to go.

#3 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

Try buying it online. Winchester is the way to go.

Any one know of a good source online? I tried Sportsmans Warehouse today and they are all sold out. They did not even have any Winchester White box .223. Ok side note any one else get helped by complete idiots there. I asked the guy if they had Winchester White box ammo in the .223 he goes and looks behind the counter in the premium ammo. Then comes back and said I don't see any. I asked can you check the inventory he said there is no way to check the inventory and walked off. Robert

#4 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:30 AM

Any one know of a good source online? I tried Sportsmans Warehouse today and they are all sold out. They did not even have any Winchester White box .223. Ok side note any one else get helped by complete idiots there. I asked the guy if they had Winchester White box ammo in the .223 he goes and looks behind the counter in the premium ammo. Then comes back and said I don't see any. I asked can you check the inventory he said there is no way to check the inventory and walked off. Robert

Sounds like the place on Yosemity here in modesto ,I asked for there white box amo , or there lightist sp. he handed me a box of fmj 60 gns. I told him I was after squirrels and jacks . He said it will work on them. I ended up talking to the maneger not much smarter thoe. If you got the load you want in wenchester stick with it. If you live neer me I got some wen brass for you about 200 rounds. never reloaded

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:46 PM

http://www.brassmanb...entory-001.htmlhttp://www.brassrelo...ired-brass.htmlhttp://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#6 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:22 PM

Heath I tried all those sites. Thanks for the links . Brassmanbrass has military crimps so i am not sure how to get crimp out Brasslaoding.com is out of stock Ebay I hate to but buy brass from a source like this never really know how its been used. I went ahead and ordered 1000 round of new winchester .223 brass from Cabela's tonight should be able to reload next weekend :lol: Cabela's was the cheapeast I found new WInchester Brass online Thanks Robert

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:17 AM

I didn't even check to see if it had the military rimp ... oops. Glad you got it ordered, though.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,655 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

On crimped brass I use a tapered die grinder bit in my drill press and grind the crimp out. It takes a bit longer but I've tried the crimp swagers and was not happy with the results. I've had good luck with military crimped brass afterward.

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:23 PM

Sounds like too much work to me unless I got the brass for free.

#10 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

Good choice Fishwrestler. I got all my brass from Cabela's too. Everybody says to just pick up 223 for free at the range, but I don't shoot at ranges. If I did I'd have to pay entrance fees, which I could have put towards 100 rounds of new brass anyways.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,655 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:53 AM

Sounds like too much work to me unless I got the brass for free.

Me too. Unless I get it free or I had a worthwhile amount to load consistent batches. Otherwise I don't bother anymore since I have plenty to last me.

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

Sounds like the place on Yosemity here in modesto ,I asked for there white box amo , or there lightist sp. he handed me a box of fmj 60 gns. I told him I was after squirrels and jacks . He said it will work on them. I ended up talking to the maneger not much smarter thoe......

I'll second that! I went there one time and nobody that worked there appeared to have any real knowledge of firearms. I went in looking for a ruger black hawk and in 45 colt. The guy behind the counter tried to tell me that they only make black hawk vaqueros and that I couldn't get a ruger single action with adjustable sights. Whatever, I left. About a month later a buddy of mine took a ruger 17/77 in to send back to ruger for a repair. The guy behind the counter said he'd take a look at the rifle and if he couldn't figure out the problem he would then send it in. A few weeks go by and my friend gets a call from the gunshop saying that his rifle was back from ruger and that he could come and pick it up. When he arrived they had a bill waiting for the cost of shipping the gun (both ways). He took the rifle home and a few days later takes it out to give it a try. It's still messed up. He then calls ruger to find out what's going on and they have no record of the rifle ever comeing back since it left when it was brand new! By this point my friend is pretty mad and goes back demanding for his money back for the shipping costs of a gun that was never shiped. They new they were busted and started badmouthing the quality of ruger products and such. That place hasn't been the same since it was called Gun Country! I know this was off the subject at hand but I hate to see this kind of unprofesionalisim (especially from a shooting sports store) and hope no other brothers of the hunting fraternity get treated this way again.

#13 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Killing fuzzy critters.

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

http://www.midwayusa...**670***9013***Good prices on remington at midway, its good stuff.Looks like cabelas has 1000 winchester brass for 130.99http://www.cabelas.c...e...&hasJS=true

#14 yunggun

yunggun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

Sounds like the place on Yosemity here in modesto ,I asked for there white box amo , or there lightist sp. he handed me a box of fmj 60 gns. I told him I was after squirrels and jacks . He said it will work on them. I ended up talking to the maneger not much smarter thoe. If you got the load you want in wenchester stick with it. If you live neer me I got some wen brass for you about 200 rounds. never reloaded

That place is terrible. I would recommend Barnwood Arms in RIPON, the guys are usually pretty good when it comes to guns, and the prices and service are great. I went there last night and wanted to buy some bullets, it was late and they had shut the register down so the guy told me to take the bullets home and just pay for them when I come back! I'll definetely be coming back!

#15 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:46 PM

Are Lapua or Nosler worth the extra money?

#16 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

Remington brass is great plus it is not primer crimped.

#17 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

any word from anyone about nosler or lapua brass being worth the money?

#18 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

any word from anyone about nosler or lapua brass being worth the money?

Try reading some of the reviews at Midway USA. I have never owned either so I can't say.

#19 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

Norma and Lapua are great brass. Don't recommend the nickle plated stuff as it tends to be harder on your dies.Darren

#20 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:19 PM

Try reading some of the reviews at Midway USA. I have never owned either so I can't say.

Yeah I read reviews, but I've seen plenty of people here and other places shoot 1/2" or less without buying 90 bux /100 cases brass. I read the reviews and I see the same results from people that review winchester brass lol. I'm gonna stick with nosler / hornady bullets and most likely winchester brass.

Norma and Lapua are great brass. Don't recommend the nickle plated stuff as it tends to be harder on your dies.Darren

What types of groups do you get with them? Do they hold up better, better volume consistency, better weight consistency. I've seen several people doing tests on weights of cases / 100 and then saying Lapua or this or that is superior, I'd like to see volume comparisons b/c i believe that makes the difference. I know this is just like any other commercial product. brand x thinks they are always better than brand y. I'm going to keep testing and give my results mid / late may. Thank you guys.

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,655 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

They're not worth the extra money. If you treat your regular brass right it will last you a long time. It's more important that you have all one type of brass and start there.

#22 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

exactly what I thought and needed to hear, thank you John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users