60 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

I was just out surfing this morning and the water was crystal clear. I haven't been in the water here for a while but I actually had the place to myself and even though the waves where small I was having fun. I then started thinking about doing some spearfishing and was wondering how many people here do the same? I have just about all my gear except for a set of fins and gloves but was hoping for some pointers or if someone was interested to tag along or maybe even show me the ropes of cali free diving. I have gone before but in Hawaii so its a different experience. Anyway anyone here free dive much?

#2 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Main difference is in Cal vers HI spearfishing, no Tiger sharks here but a lot more Great Whites.Good spearfishing in S. Cal, plus lobster season is coming up real quick.I am sure someone CPC will point you in the right direction. ---->If all else fails local dive/fishing shops, people are not as freindly as in HI, it is just like giving out your secret honey hole for hunting.

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

Lobster season is almost over if it's not over already, I think it's over in march. I used to spear fish at table tops reef but it's been a really long time since I've done any diving. There used to be a good spot off of tamarack beack also.

#4 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Lobster season is almost over if it's not over already, I think it's over in march.

Thanks Jawbreaker for the correction.I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said it was just about to open for lobster season. Maybe I was thinking about HI Lobster season instead!

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I may have to just jump in and start exploring. Seems to be some fishy areas around here I just need check things out.

#6 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

Is there any other South Bay!?!?
Hic Ego Statio

#7 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

I didn't want people to think San Francisco :smiley-outta-here:

#8 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Is there any other South Bay!?!?

This is the only South Bay that matters to me... And there is great halibut spearfishing to be had there, as well as yellowtail and white seabass...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#9 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

I must be really confused I thought south bay was the Malibu to Palos Verdes area. Learn something new everyday.

#10 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

The Real South Bay is Redondo bch, Hermosa bch, Manhattan bch, Torrance
Hic Ego Statio

#11 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

hehehe - well we got three of them here in this state : The northern one is populated by vegan hippy flower children, the southern one is where the sun shines on shady people, the one in the middle is populated by people that look like DirtyDave! :smiley-outta-here:

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

:smiley-outta-here: ;)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#13 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Freedive for Abs up north by Fort Bragg/Albion. Anything else I tank(scuba) dive for.

#14 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Just stay out of all those new marine sanctuaries!!!I've gone with my brother in law a few times, mostly scuba. It is a neat way to fish. You get to actually pick out what you are going to take. Make sure you have a fishing license and follow the regulations.

#15 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

There's some good spear fishing here in the middle "South Bay". Calico Bass, Sand Bass, Sheeps head, Angel shark, Leopard shark, Ling Cod, Corvina, White Sea Bass, and Halibut. Your best bet is to dive around any place there is structure. Jetties, Breakwalls, man made reefs, wrecks. PV is also a great spot but it can be a hump getting down the trails unless you have a boat and then like it was said before, you have to know where the Marine sactuary's are. BullsEye PM me and I'll point you in the right direction. Mc

#16 64ssking

64ssking

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

Im wiling to join you free diving. i dont have any experience but i can swim. i have a 17' boston whaler so we can get to pv. lobster season is open, when i go out hooping the divers most always limit out. what gear does one need

#17 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Mask, snorkel, fins, gloves a game bag and a lobster guage if you want to get lobster and a spear for fishing.

#18 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am hoping to visit one of the dive shops this weekend in Hermosa Beach and get a rubber for my 3 prong. I might look into a gun but I'm going to start with the pole spear first to see how I like it out here.

#19 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

One thing - you can spearfish, and you can lobster dive - but you cant do both at the same time. DFG gets their panties bent out of shape when spearguns and lobster are in the same place at the same time, wanting to accuse you of shooting them because plenty of poachers have done it before...

#20 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

I used to spend a lot of time in the water spearfishing...i love it. Since I've relocated more inland, I don't get out as often as I like, but during the summer I'm out a few times a month. I love swimming the drop offs for halibut.Nothing to it really. Get yourself a mask, snorkel, fins, speargun and a wetsuit and you're ready. Make sure you pay attention to the new closed areas along the coast and take your fishing license. When conditions are good, its a great way to spend the day.

#21 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Attached File  5.jpg   19.78KB   8 downloadsRule #1 of spearfishing; Make sure your dive partner is not over zealous and knows the difference between your a$$ and a fish.

#22 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

Ouch! I have gone many times in Hawaii with friends but luckily I never had to deal with anything like that.

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

That guy's partner thought he was a Halibutt. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#24 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Yes John, I think this took place in Hawaii though so I think it actually is a Haole-Butt :rolleyes:

#25 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :1087: But that got to hurt.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#26 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Just picked up a rubber for my 3 prong, some gloves and a stringer. Now I need my fins and I should be all set. However I think I will be surfing tomorrow its supposed to be a 7 foot swell. :lol: If that guy was in Hawaii that's one Okole Puka you never want.

#27 mikina

mikina

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:fishing, hiking, hunting, boating, 4x4

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

OUCH nice shot

Attached File  5.jpg   19.78KB   8 downloadsRule #1 of spearfishing; Make sure your dive partner is not over zealous and knows the difference between your a$$ and a fish.

#28 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

I am so glad I wasn't the Dive Master on that trip! I DM'd alot of spearfishing trips in the past, but cuts by fish teeth/gills or knives were the worst I had to deal with...

#29 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'm heading out tomorrow morning if anyone is interested in joining me.

#30 64ssking

64ssking

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

so how did you do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users