• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

Looking for opinions on what would be the best gun and scope for bench rest/ field target and if I should go .177 or .22 thank you.

.177 Custom 1377c, .177 TX200 MKIII, .177 FWB 300su .177 R.A.W. TM1000, .22 M-Rod tuned, .22 AA S410 - SL XTRA FAC, .22 Theoben Rapid MKII AZ tuned, .25 Daystate Air Ranger tuned, .25 HM1000x, FX Boss .30

#2 SchonerTod

SchonerTod

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

your gonna get a mixed review on either one of those because some say the hmr has no accuracy and others will argue that it does. I would say your best bet is to find a local range that will rent you the guns and just try them out or hook up with so of the peeps on the site and see if they will let you fire theirs. 22 ammo is really cheap you can get 500 rounds for like $20. I dont play around with the 17 so i cant tell you what the ammo cost for that.My experience though is the 22 is pretty accurate us to 75 yards once i start trying to shoot 100 yards it really stars to go all over the place because its so light that even a little breeze can throw it off.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm going to say aren't most .177 cal?

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

cbr400Rm, your question is almos impossile o answer wih he limited infomation povided. Waht ranges are we talking about? That has a huge impact on what caliber is best.Edit: Ignor my post. I 'm not an Airgunner and didn't realize there was something called Field Target which has specific distances etc, established.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

From what I've heard, I thought Field Target Shooting was done with a .177 unless it is a special contest or specified otherwise. That's one of the reasons that Crosman came out with the 1720T (or whatever it is called), the .177 pistol for field target pistol shooting. Also, they have the MAR177, which is says can be used for Field Target. I would be inclined to say it needs to be .177 for competition. That should narrow down the field as far as caliber, now to look for manufacturer and model...

#6 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

I'm looking at a .177 Daystate Panther Posted Image

.177 Custom 1377c, .177 TX200 MKIII, .177 FWB 300su .177 R.A.W. TM1000, .22 M-Rod tuned, .22 AA S410 - SL XTRA FAC, .22 Theoben Rapid MKII AZ tuned, .25 Daystate Air Ranger tuned, .25 HM1000x, FX Boss .30

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

I know that those are very nice guns and have a nice price tag also. Are you looking to start shooting Field Target competitions on a regular basis? If so, a gun like that would be a good investment.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

Go with the .177 as that's all I can find that they use at sanctioned events.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

CBR400R,Have you checked out one of Tim's custom FT guns? I understand the majority of top FT shooters now are using them. http://www.mac1airgun.com/usft.htm

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

For field target= .177 Scope : 8x32x42For 50 yard benchrest = .22 cal ; scope Barska Benchmark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users