10 replies to this topic

#1 sean

sean

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

Went out to the range to try out some new loads that I put together and thought I would share the results.First was a Barnes 50 gr varmit grenade using accurate 2230 powder in both of my loads and CCI primers.It was a bit windy but I think I did a pretty good job at pulling off the shot when the wind died down.I was shooting these out of my Stevens 200 has a pentax gameseeker scope i was maxed at 12power.Sized up to dime.Barnes 50gr varmit grenade @100yrdsPosted ImageNosler 35gr ballistic tip lead free @100 yardsPosted Image

#2 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Not too bad. What caliber? Or did I miss that in your post?Oh and what kind of optics you using?

#3 sean

sean

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

oh its a 223Rem this was my first time out with these loads in attempt to find a lead free load that works with my gun. for Optics I have a Pentax gameseeker 4x12 that was gifted to me but does alright. I am fairly pleased with the 35gr noslers considering the inaccuracy others have experienced with them. I would like to chrono these in the next week.thanks for the reply.

#4 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Couple nice groups, especially shooting in the wind. Either one would be fine in the field.

#5 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

Looks like some good shooting to me.Tom

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Well, Sean, I am going to be Brutally honest here & hope it will be ok?!First, both groups are indeed accurate enough to kill a big ole coyote. Also, the "definition" of accurate can have different meanings to different folks. What is "accurate" for John, may not be for Pete. But, we should keep in mind that we are talking about predator &/or varmint accuracy; for small game & not large deer!Also, one group may or may not tell us anything. Especially just 3 shots. Yes, it's an indicator, but not a good one exclusively. In other words, once one has something "promising" such as either of your targets, it needs to be tested again, but with 5 shots & not 3! And with 3 or more 5 shot groups. Trust me on this!With that said, I will not (& have not) keep/kept any predator rifle that cannot keep all 5 shots into 3/4" or less at 100 yards on average (say 7 out of 10 groups)! 3 shots needs to be 1/2" or LESS, again, on "average"!Anyhow, you can likely see where I am going with this. A dime is approx 3/4" in circumference (&/or edge to edge), & is wayyy to large for a 3 shot group (measuring from center to center on the holes) in a PREDATOR rifle. Plus, your tsx 3 shot group appears at least 1" or larger, which would really be a little large for a even a 5 shot group much less 3 shots. So, going by the one target exclusively, for each load, the 35gr load obviously looks good, but the tsx load is highly questionable. Of course one hole may or may NOT be a flyer, but is all the more reason why more testing would be in order... for both, but especially for the tsx load. Just how I "see" it... And Good Luck

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

I too think its some good shooting worthy of killing a Coyote.. But say you shoot 100 yds, and its a 3/4" group, then double that for a 200 yd group and its 1 1/2" then at 300 its about 2 1/4" On a Coyote sized animal it still may be a kill but on a squirrel sized critter it could be a miss. Thats why some are picky about group size. I like knowing that My first shot is gonna hit where I point it. On the rare occasion I need a second killing shot on a Coyote, I can never get him to stand still long enough to check my 1/2 in group. :smiley-outta-here:

#8 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Dump the Barnes and stay with Nosler. The group is plenty enough for field use. Now, go out there and practice field shooting.

#9 sean

sean

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

ThereThanks frank for the feedbackI will up my groups to 5 shot groups and see if they play nice. either way I would still take these hunting like the other guys mentioned. I don't shoot squirels or deer with my 223rem. It was an impulse buy years ago but a good excuse to get into coyote hunting :signlol2iu: . If I ever see a coyote within 100 yards I will probably take a shot. until then I will work on my loads and shooting skills. :roflmao3[1]:

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

When you see what a 40gr Bullet from a 223 does to a squirrel you may change your mind. I use it more than My 22lr.

#11 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

I think you're off to a good start, Sean. Keep it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users