• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:27 AM

I wonder how many it took to get a nice clean video.

#2 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Yeah. I'd seen that video before. I'm sure it took them a while to compile that footage. I know the .25 Marauder will easily take out a hog with a shot like that. I can't wait until I'm able to get out and do some hog hunting with mine. It's probably going to be sometime in the Fall this year when I'll get to go to Texas and hunt me some hogs.

#3 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

Interesting. I remember a video that Gamo put out a while back where they shot a hog in the head at about 10 yards range with one of their model 1250's. I remember reading a bunch of negative feedback towards Gamo over that video. If you believe the numbers that Crosman put in their catalog for the .25cal Marauder it's getting 50fpe. It would be interesting to know what .25 cal pellet they were using in that video.

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

I remember seeing a Gamo video also where they were using the Gamo Hunter Extreme .177 and shot a hog at around 10 to 15 yards right between the eyes. I don't think I would ever try to kill a hog with a .177 air gun (unless that is all I had and I was starving). They also did one with the Gamo Hunter Extreme .25 cal. In that video it looked like the shot was probably around 40 to 50 yards, maybe 60 yards at most and the pig was fairly small (though a good size for eating definitely). I too would like to know what pellet they were using in this .25 Marauder hunting video. You think they would have enough experience to let you know exactly what they are hunting with. I guess not everybody is really professional about stuff like that. I know at my max velocity of 924 FPS with current settings using the JSB Exact King 25.4 I'm getting 48 FPE at the muzzle and at the low of 900 FPS I'm getting 45.7 FPE at the muzzle. I bet if you were using the 35.8 grn EunJin pellets you could get 50 FPE if you could get the velocity to average around 800 FPS or you could use the 43.2 grain EunJins and get 50 FPE if your muzzle velocity was averaging around 730 FPS. They've probably had that Marauder tuned and all of the internals polished and lubed perfectly to achieve the higher velocities that would produce that energy. I know there is a .25 Marauder owner on the Marauder Air Rifle Forum that lives in Australia and he hunts hogs in the outback with his Marauder using the heavier EunJin pellets. He tries to get within 40 to 50 yards or less for his shots and always aims for the fuse box (brain). He's taken some nice sized hogs with it (I've seen the photos). He says the hogs rarely ever move after the shot, that they almost always drop and twitch a little and then they are DRT. I really wish they would come out with a .30 version or larger of the Marauder but without any electronic crap in them. Just a standard Marauder with a larger barrel. It would probably only get about 5 to 8 or less shots, but it would be nice to have the option for larger animals. I'd definitely get one of those. I'd thought about purchasing a Rogue .357, but I don't trust the electronics in those things yet. I've heard too many horror stories about how the guns are constantly having errors, not firing, the valve locking up and leaking air like crazy. I think the Rogue would be a good gun for hogs if they would have work all of the problems out of the system before shoving them out into the market place. But that's just my opinion. :angry2:

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:59 AM

Question for "Air Rifle Hunter"....I'm interested in knowing what your .25 cal Maurader shot count is @ 900 FPS (45 FPE) ????.....I may purchase a new one if the numbers come out ok.....My MAC 1 Disco .22 has been a great 'hunting' rifle and it gets 20 good shots at 900 FPS (26 FPE)...My other rifle in .22 cal is a Dominator (HPA) and does 45-50 shots @ 940 FPS (30 FPE)...Thanks,RichDominator..Posted ImageDiscovery..Posted Image

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Well, let's see... first thing, my settings are maxed out on my gun (the spring and stroke, though I still have some adjustment out on the metering screw so I could possibly get it shooting faster, but would most likely cause a more extreme spread) and my spring is baked. The very last time I chrony'd my .25, which was last Thursday, January 26th, I started with a fill pressure of 3200+/- PSI and after (16) shots I ended with a fill pressure of 2500 PSI. My starting velocity was 900.6, peak velocity was 923.8 and ending velocity was 900.3. In the past I have gotten (24) shots with a starting pressure of 3300 PSI and and ending pressure of 2300 PSI with a starting velocity of 885, a peak velocity of 906 and an ending velocity of around 885. The only difference in the settings was that the spring pre-load adjuster (1/8" hex) was turned about 1/2 to 1 full turn clockwise from being fully counter clockwise in. This dropped the velocity down a little, giving me more of an average around 895 or so with an average FPE of 45.2, but added (8) shots to my shot count for a total of (24) with the 25.4 grain JSB Exact Kings. Believe me when I say I am no expert at tuning this gun. I have learned a good amount of what I now know from the Marauder Air Rifle Forum and most guys over there are very helpful with tuning advice and I've also been fortunate, I suppose, when experimenting with tuning the rifle. All I did, like I mentioned, was to bake the spring and I maxed out my settings and then tweaked them a little. Next thing I knew the gun was blasting the JSB's super hard. For hunting, the .25 really smacks them. I just read where a guy has his gun shooting the 43.2 grain EunJins at around 800 FPS average which gets him around 60 FPE average. WOW! That thing is going to really smack stuff! I'm sure he probably took the gun apart and polished all of the internals, changed to a heavier hammer spring and has spent a lot of time tuning that gun to get in firing like that. Anyway, I know it is tunable to get it firing at least (16) shots with a good amount of FPE. I don't know if that is the information you were looking for, but if I missed something just let me know.:angry2:

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

That's perfect...thanks a bunch....I may also have an oportunity to get a Maurader 'bottle' gun, thus increasing the 'air volume' issue for much higher shot count....

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

An HDD and a 500 cc bottle should give you well over 50 shots at stock settings.

#9 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

That's perfect...thanks a bunch....I may also have an oportunity to get a Maurader 'bottle' gun, thus increasing the 'air volume' issue for much higher shot count....

How do they convert the Marauder to a "Bottle" type from the long reservior type of gun? That would definitely give you more shots. It would make the gun look more like and FX, Daystate or BSA with a bottle, right? I'd be interested in knowing what process in required to make that modification without making the gun look like a "Frankenstein" gun. Anything that would up performance and still be able to be made aesthetically appealling sounds interesting to me. Another mod you can do instead of the HDD is to either use (3) O-Rings (I can get you the size or # if interested) or use a piece of 1 1/8" outer diameter vinyl or silicone tube cut to 3/8" long and slide it in from the back of the area where the hammer is. I think the hammer has to be removed so that this piece can go in front of it. It acts just like an HDD, keeping the hammer from pressing on the valve for too long and making the stroke on the valve more air efficient, acting like a "bumper or cushion". A few guys have done this mod and say it works fantastic and also helps dampen noise too, which sounds like a win-win situation to me. I'm going to try it on my .22 Project Marauder I'll be working on and see how well it works. If you get that .25 Marauder bottle rifle, you'll have to take some pictures of it for me so that I can see how they converted it. :angry2:

#10 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

The HDD has a noticeble reduction in noise too.

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

If you get that .25 Marauder bottle rifle, you'll have to take some pictures of it for me so that I can see how they converted it. :unsure:

Sure will. It will either be that or a 850 HPA .25 cal,...which 2 or 3 already exist. I would prefer the Maurader because the trigger pack is a better design.

#12 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

wow, nice video!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users