• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

My new Tikkas are finally out of jail. Sold my custom 260 Rem 700 and bought a couple Tikka T3's after feeling how smooth the actions are.Got a T3 Super Lite, 7 rem mag, put a EGW 20 MOA base on it and Weaver 30mm "Tactical Skeleton" rings on it. Still waiting on the scope to come in. Plan on shooting Berger 168 VLD's, so as soon as my scope get here i'll start working up a load, plan on starting with H1000 though... Also going to put a Holland QD muzzle brake on it, whenever I get time to go over to my dad's house ad use his lathe...Second rifle is a blued T3 Lite, .223. Plan is to use it mainly for coyotes and to keep in the truck. Going to cut the barrel down to 16" and also throw a Holland QD brake on it as well. Once thats done I will KG Cote it. Have Talley 2 piece lightweight mounts on it and a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x40 mildot scope on it. Plan is to use 40 grn vmax's. Ill try and post some more pics up as I chop the barrel and get the brakes on.Posted Image

#2 sean

sean

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Great looking rifles I could go for a stainless model. I have some of the talley mounts and like them. I also have a EGW base on the way for my savage. Hope it looks as nice as the one on your tikka. Thanks for sharing.

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Very nice, only thing better than one, is two. I sure wish I had access to a lathe also :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#4 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Great looking rifles I could go for a stainless model. I have some of the talley mounts and like them. I also have a EGW base on the way for my savage. Hope it looks as nice as the one on your tikka. Thanks for sharing.

Not too impressed with the Talley mounts. The bases of the mounts are wider than the top of the receiver, not real aesthetically pleasing. The EGW base on the other hand, that thing is beautiful, amazing fit and finish. I am thinking about returning the Talleys and either getting another EGW or putting on a Dead Nutz/Game Reaper 1 piece base...

#5 sean

sean

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

Nice...my talleys are on a weatherby. bummer they dont fit well on the Tikka.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

Just get some Leopold base and rings and be done with it.You are going good with 2 nice rifles why skip out on the quality of the rings.Your better off with out a break on the 7 mag it will be loud as hell and you will need ear plugs when you hunt with it.My friend bought a used 300 mag with a kdf break on it and he wants that thing off but can't get it off.I rung my bell with it once forgot to put in the ear plugs .just my opinion . good choice of rifles......... :rolleyes:

#7 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

Ya, I breaked my 260 as well. It is louder from the shooters perspective, but I am planning on this being a longer range rifle (90% of the time will ave time to through ear plugs in), I have my 30-30 lever action for closer stuff. I like the breaks because the reduced recoil and getting back on target faster.

#8 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

does cutting the .223 to 16"s reduce the velocity too much? I am guessing about 300 fps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users