#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

I been using IMR4198 for my 223. It works good with my vmax/speer bthp match bullets. But not with my barnes tsx bullets. Going to get a new powder. Any recommendations? Was thinking maybe varget or another IMR powder. Need some suggestions because 4198 is all I've tried.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

Refresh my memory... what rate of twist is your 223, and what tsx bullet weight are you using?Reason I ask is, if the twist is 12" or slower, throw the bullets away and use the Nosler 35 or 40 gr non lead. Then again, what are you going to hunt with that rifle, wanting the tsx's? Almost any powder works in a 223. If you are having problems with the tsx bullets, like friends and I had with our 12" twist, 223, then again, toss the tsx's IMO. But hey, I could be missing something... AGAIN!Good Luck

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

BLC-2 or H335 are both ideal for the 223.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,106 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

Another vote for H 335. Good luck.

#5 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

I use H335 for my 40 gr. vmaxANDVarget with my 55 gr VmaxBoth loads are capable of 1/2 to 5/8 in. at 100 yds,out of my savage 112 and it has ben blue printed "accurized"Both loads use a Fed. 205 primer.I got the 55 gr load from Shooterjon and it has proven to be the best all around accurate load in the 6 or 7 rifles I have loaded it for.All under 3/4 in at 100 yds.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

My savage absolutely loves a case full of H-4895 under 50 grain Hornadys.

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

We have had good luck with both H4895 and Varget in the 50-55gr range. But in all fairness, we have never tried much other powders since we always have a huge supply of both and they shoot very well for us.

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

I like H335, Benchmark and TAC for .223 Remington. H335 seems to be the most accurate, although I've had good results with Benchmark, too. Benchmark meters like a dream, is not temperature sensitive and burns cleaner than H335 so I think I'm going to shift to using it more.

#9 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

My remmy 700 sps varmint is a 1:12 twist. I was thinking of using it for pig. Not set on it but I would like a round set up in case I ever had the chance. I'm thinking of trying varget and 1 other powder. The tsx's were 53 grain bullets. It just wouldn't stabilize at all. 1 1/2-2 inch groups at 100 yards. It seemed like the higher I got with my powder charges from 19.0-21.0 the smaller the groups got. But at 21.0 I was at 1.5 at 100 and thats unacceptable in my book. Thats garbage. I'm thinking of maybe another powder that burns faster maybe. I haven't played with the seating depth though. Not sure if that would help all that much from a 1 1/2 in group or not. With my 53 grain matchking rounds I was getting .5-.6 groups at 100 yards with 19.0 and 20.5 grains of 4198. I'm going to the store next payday to try my luck on another powder. I have 200 cases already prepped just waiting for powder and primers and this weekend I plan on doing another 200-300 cases just for the heck of it. I love my case prep center it makes things go so much faster. Now all I need is a progressive press instead of a single stage.

#10 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

Even my vmax rounds were doing .750 with 4198 I'm guess my gun just doesn't like the 53 grain tsx rounds. Is there another pig bullet you guys would recommend. Both lead free and lead rounds?

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

223 is not ideal for hogs un less you plan on making neck and head shots.I think you will be limited with that 1-12 twist rate but check out nosler e-tip or hornady gmx.

#12 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

Benchmark and H335 for the lighter bullets and Varget for the 55gr and bigger bullets for the 223 Rem.

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

I think Nosler makes a heavier (60 gr(?) partition lead bullet in .224 if you are going to use it on heavier game. I could be wrong, but most, if not all the powders and loads listed above are for LEAD bullets. But if not, I doubt if they were using TSX bullets, unless with faster twist than 12".My testing with tsx bullets in 12 & 14" twists in 223 & 22-250 were miserable & why I seriously doubt you will get them to shoot in your rifle. However, I was wrong once before. Again, the 35 & 40 gr NOSLER lead free are about the only ones that did work in our rifles... so far!I've done extensive load testing with mostly lead bullets over the years in both calibers, testing dozens of loads & numerous powders while firing thousands of rounds. For the highest velocity and best guilt edged accuracy we obtained in lead bullet weights of 40-55 gr were with Benchmark, IMR 8208, RL10X, TAC, H4895, H414, H380 & H335. I am likely forgetting some others, not checking my notes. For example: two of our 223 rifles in 26" barrels drive a 40 gr Nosler at 3774 & 3980 fps with 28.5 grs of Bencmark with incredible accuracy. NO other load will beat, much less match that. I've listed this load often here. Best target was 5 shots in 1/8", ONE hole at 100 yards. Many other groups were also very small.We also get 50gr Nosler lead bullets at over 3900 fps in at least 2 of our 26" barreled 22-250's. I know of at least one person using the 35gr non lead gr bullet in the 250 at 4500 fps with 8208, but I have not tested in my rifle... yet! All my loads have been chronographed. I call other powders such as Varget, W748 etc, IF'er powders in the 223 & 250. IF they had just a little higher velocity & slightly better guilt edged accuracy, they would be up there with the others. But they are not! They are however, very good, consistent powders...just not the best is all.Again, as I stated earlier, is really why I say LOTS of powders work in the 223. One can almost just pick one and do very well... unlike some other calibers. So switching powders around to try and get the tsx bullets isn't likely to solve the problem, I guess is what I am trying to say (after all that). lolThere you have it, and is worth exactly what you paid for. lol Good Luck, and pls keep us posted on your results.

#14 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

anyone get a hold of that cfe223 from hogdon, just saw it in the new VHA, more new toys to try

#15 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hmm I may give the benchmark/varget a try. A friend picked up the varget for his 308 I may have to load a few up and give em a try. I may try the GMX a try. I seen them at the store and wondered. I guess next week I'll pick a box up and give em a shot.

#16 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Not that it may matter, but if I remember right (not looking at my records), TAC powder was the only one that equaled Benchmark in the 223 & 40 gr bullet in terms of highest velocity combined with excellent accuracy. In fact I have some TAC loaded up for the 223 with the 35 gr Nolser non lead bullets for whenever I do make it back to the range once the coyote season ends. Keep us posted & Good Luck

#17 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

As all the other powders mentioned...IMR4198 is a good powder for the 222/223. Actually, it used to be THE powder for the .223...it's still good.Instead of buying a few different pounds of powders to try out, you might want to put the money toward the 45gr TSX...or maybe even the 50's.

#18 sean

sean

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

I currently use accurate 2230 with what I think is good results. I will have to try some of these others as well.

#19 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

I guess I could try the lighter TSX's. Currently I have 260 cases fully prepped just waiting for powder and a bullet of my choice. Anticipation you know. I have over 4000 223 cases I only bought 600 brand new the others were from the range when people buy factory and leave it. I always ask them before I grab it though if they are going to reload and if they were factory or handloaded. I only pick up factory once fired brass. So I got plenty to try and the wife said I need a hobby. Well this is it :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: and it saves me money.I'll give the lighter bullets a try even though the ones I did try said on the box it was for a 1:12 twist. I would still like to try different powders. 4198 is the only one I ever tried. So far I have my vmax/match rounds dialed in with 4198. I'd stil like to give the others a whirl. Just for fun and to see if it works any better. My gun is still 100% factory. I havent even free floated the barrel yet. It has a pressure point at the fore end of the stock I'm going to file down and eventually a timney or jewel trigger mech going in soon. Wifes rifle comes first. Her AR I'm dropping a rock river arms 2 stage match trigger. Like the one I put in my friends AR. Its awesome! I love it. My wife will too.

#20 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

By all means, try another powder if you want. I've accumulated quite a stash of powders just for that reason...had to try it out.More times then not though, providing you are using a suitable powder, the bullet or change of bullet will make a bigger difference in accuracy.

#21 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,106 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

You can try a quick freefloat without removing the pressure pad if you want. Just cut some thin plastic shims and place them on the wide spot at the barrel lug. That will raise the barrel a tad and you can see if it helps or not. Good luck

#22 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

Good idea. I never thought of that.

#23 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

i like to buy varget 8 pounds at a time

#24 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

I picked up a pound of varget/benchmark. So I'm gonna try them for my rem 700/ar 15 in 223. Never tried either. Also working on loads for my 25-06 now too

#25 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

For the 25-06 varmint load try the 75gr v-max and a healthy dose of either Hodgdon or IMR 4350. My rifle likes Hodgdon and my friends gun preferrs IMR but either way, one of those bullets at around 3700 fps makes for some unbelievable long range varmint medicine!

#26 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:52 AM

I been using IMR4198 for my 223. It works good with my vmax/speer bthp match bullets. But not with my barnes tsx bullets. Going to get a new powder. Any recommendations? Was thinking maybe varget or another IMR powder. Need some suggestions because 4198 is all I've tried.

Accurate 2520 meters like water and works with bullets as light as 50 grains to as heavy as 80. According the their manual 27 grains behind a 50 grain bullet is good for 3434 out of a 24 inch barrel.(and yes 27 grains of 2520 will easily fit into a lake city case and loading to mag length will not compress the powder.) 24.7 grains behind a 75 grain bullet is supposed to be good for around 2863 our of a 24 inch barrel. These are max loads so the usual disclaimers apply with talking about load info on the internet.This powder is supposed to be really good with .308 as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users